Pie's Ancient Europe

Pie,

I am enjoying my Pie Ancient PBEM!

So far the Romans are doing well in the Diadochi scenario.
I am looking for another PBEM or Pittboss Pie Ancient game; do you know of any?

(and probably two other players will be interested.. (academia and funky) )

With the current pace (slow) I might be interested too. We would need to be careful not to mix different versions, so that we could play both new and old games.

Would you start a PBEM with the new Patch 3 then? (when Patch 3 is official)
Do you publish change logs for Patches on the forums? I am curious what will Patch 3 be about. Also, it is shame you could not play PBEM with us because of your files :(

Yes of course, I will make a change log. I could start with translation of that soon... it's a lot.

Pie:

Great Philosopher / Remarkable Philosopher / Philosopher
Great Priest / High Priest / Priest
Great Artist / Remarkable Artist / Artist
Great Builder / Remarkable Builder / Builder
Great Merchant / Remarkable Merchant / Merchant
Great Agent / Remarkable Agent / Agent

I would suggest High Philosopher, High Priest, Major Artist, Master Builder, Master Merchant and Special Agent for English translations. These are all accepted English usages with the possible exception of High Philosopher. Other possible adjectives you could try: famous, renowned.

Hey, I have a small question about some minor stuff :
1) I am playing Persia and want to have some Immortal Guard units(since they look badass) but I can't upgrade my swordsman to it even tho I have all the usual requirements and resources.
Spoiler :

2) I can't build my war elephans either , even tho I buy them at enourmous price from Carthage ... Do I need to have them in my territory only ?
Here's ther screenshot of my capital with iron(for immortal guard) and Ivory.
Spoiler :

I've long wanted to play your mod. However, it does not work on my mac. I have started playing it with a wineskin version of the Windows CivIV BtS and it seems to work okay so far.

There are so many fascinating aspects of this mod! However, I'm finding many of the concepts difficult to understand in the translations of the pedia as they are now. I'm doing my part by trying to clarify things in english when I can make sense of them from the original German (I'm guessing that was the original language?) or from the other translations using your online tool. Great idea by the way! I hope I'm using it right, please feel free to write me a note if not.

I'm assuming that after I make my changes and hit 'save', you will be able to see the changes that I have made in some way. I have used BOLD TEXT to point out where I think some clarification is needed, and I put something in the title bar space at the top as well. Mostly I'm making changes to word usage, spelling and grammar that make the text a lot easier to understand to a native english speaker.

However, there are some things that remain very hard to understand and my German really isn't that great lol, not even my Spanish is helping me to clarify my confusion.

One particular issue is the role of Cults and how that interacts with Religions. Do I want to spread a cult started by another civ in my own city? Do I want to have cults and religions BOTH in my own cities? Especially if they are founded by another civ? How does that play out in terms of rebellion risk? It seems strange to promote cults in my city if they will provoke rebellions among my people lol. Do I want to spread cults to other civ's near me, even if I didn't found them myself? What are the benefits/penalties for doing that?

The pedia is very confusing about this, I'm trying to make sense of it. I will go back and read through the very long thread here and see if I find some guidance lol:)

Pie:

Great Philosopher / Remarkable Philosopher / Philosopher
Great Priest / High Priest / Priest
Great Artist / Remarkable Artist / Artist
Great Builder / Remarkable Builder / Builder
Great Merchant / Remarkable Merchant / Merchant
Great Agent / Remarkable Agent / Agent

I would suggest High Philosopher, High Priest, Major Artist, Master Builder, Master Merchant and Special Agent for English translations. These are all accepted English usages with the possible exception of High Philosopher. Other possible adjectives you could try: famous, renowned.

Ah! Thx for your proposal. We are now at:
Great Philosopher / Settled Ph. / Ph.
Great Artist / Settled A. / A.
Great Builder / Settled B. / B.
Great Merchant / Settled M. / M.
Great Spy / Settled Agent / Agent

The unit Merchant will get the name Trader.
The unit Spy will keep being a Spy. :)

We in the german forum say, it's easy to understand. Otherwise you think it's a new feature or something else, like putting slaves into libraries, temples, etc..
But if you instist of you great proposal about High and Master (what I think fits best for the person, but not for the feature) then tell me and I will put your proposal into the German forum.

1) I am playing Persia and want to have some Immortal Guard units(since they look badass) but I can't upgrade my swordsman to it even tho I have all the usual requirements and resources.

2) I can't build my war elephans either , even tho I buy them at enourmous price from Carthage ... Do I need to have them in my territory only ?
Hi Soul,
I must say: I don't know. I don't know if it's a patch, where the feature was broken shortly. Hunk, is very strict in testing that :), so it's certainly functional with the upcoming third patch. So, please be patient. Waiting for and playing with patch 3 will pay off. Promise :king:

I've long wanted to play your mod. However, it does not work on my mac. I have started playing it with a wineskin version of the Windows CivIV BtS and it seems to work okay so far.
Hi gatinho,

oh, this should work. there is no SDK included, so everything should work fine. Perhaps some graphical issues? Off animations? But great, that it works on wine.

There are so many fascinating aspects of this mod! However, I'm finding many of the concepts difficult to understand in the translations of the pedia as they are now. I'm doing my part by trying to clarify things in english when I can make sense of them from the original German (I'm guessing that was the original language?) or from the other translations using your online tool. Great idea by the way! I hope I'm using it right, please feel free to write me a note if not.
Thank you very, very much! Updating the online text tool will help all english speaking PAE players out there! Yes, German is the original language. The Spanish translation is made from the English one. So, if the English one is wrong, the Spanish too. But we all try to do best in English. But yes, feel free to update every mistake or hard understanding phrase, as you want. the easier to understand the better! in every language!

I'm assuming that after I make my changes and hit 'save', you will be able to see the changes that I have made in some way. I have used BOLD TEXT to point out where I think some clarification is needed, and I put something in the title bar space at the top as well. Mostly I'm making changes to word usage, spelling and grammar that make the text a lot easier to understand to a native english speaker.
No, I am not able to see in the text tool what txt-tag has been changed (except I'd have a look into the database directly), but I see the file, where the updated text belongs to, which has to be imported to PAE again. The only way, I could see it, if you check the small checkbox (waiting for update), but truly, IF you have used a correct translation, then it's better not to check the box, I if don't speak English that well, to consider, if it's correct or not. The box is just for changing the text when other languages have changed. so, if I upgrade the German text, I always upgrade the English one and check the French, Spanish and Italian checkbox, so that the French, Spanish and Italian people know, something has been changed.

However, there are some things that remain very hard to understand and my German really isn't that great lol, not even my Spanish is helping me to clarify my confusion.
Yes, just post questions here, you're welcome!!

One particular issue is the role of Cults and how that interacts with Religions. Do I want to spread a cult started by another civ in my own city?
Of course, the Cult gives bonus to the city. No malus. Some cults requires a certain religion, like Mithras needs Zoroastrism.

Do I want to have cults and religions BOTH in my own cities? Especially if they are founded by another civ?
Yes, why not. Cults don't have disadvantages. Not even with religions. Only religions have the disadvantage of :mad: per other religion. This malus doesn't concern cults.

How does that play out in terms of rebellion risk?
Nothing. Cults are not calculated in rebellions.

Do I want to spread cults to other civ's near me, even if I didn't found them myself?
Yes, because cults bing bonus into the city. Most head quarters of cults don't get a bonus for spreading them. Eg. fercility cult was global and doest effect a founder. Some less head quarters of cults just have a cultural bonus (I think Hellenism or Dionysus). nothing else.

What are the benefits/penalties for doing that?
Cults don't have penalties, only benefits. But some cults compete like coorps in BTS. It's like in BTS, the more bonus resources you have the better the benefits. But every cult needs certain bonus resources. For example, if you have more livestock you take the fertility cult. If you have more grain, you should take the cult of Cybele.

The pedia is very confusing about this, I'm trying to make sense of it. I will go back and read through the very long thread here and see if I find some guidance lol:)
No need to go back. Just ask here, we all will help.

Hunk, is very strict in testing that :),

lol

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I don't remember the password of my old user, hunk, and the recover mail doesn't work, so, I will write with this...

1) inmortal guard (sword, 9 strenght) only can be promoted from a veteran inmortal (skirmisher, 7). Look PAE concepts, veterans, persian.

2) to build war elephants you need:

the resource (elephant), the tech (elephant husbandry), AND the elephant stable. Persepolis can't have this stable because: 1) you need a wild elephant that will build it (looks as horse and stable) and 2) the elephant stable needs desert or jungle close to the city.

wild elephant: you only catch them if you have the elephant husbandry tech or you have the resource in your territory, in that case, even without the tech, the elephant will be yours (random spawn).

2pie_at
Hey , I am enjoying my campaign alot ! In fact I enjoy it so much that I don't even know what can be implemented on top :crazyeye: Just some minor stuff I was figuring out.
2hunk
Thank you for clarification, I though that since immortal guard is swordsman type it upgrades from swordsman :p Also , it makes no sense to me to uppgrade fully promoted with hit-n-run stuff skirmosher into heavy unit. But well, I need some of this immortals to guard the emperror instead of mercenary hoplites so ... gonna get some
I had the same idea on mind about elephants but didn't knew that requierements for the stable are so severe , I like it though - makes historical sense.
Once again thank you for answers.

2pie_at
Hey , I am enjoying my campaign alot ! In fact I enjoy it so much that I don't even know what can be implemented on top :crazyeye: Just some minor stuff I was figuring out.
2hunk
Thank you for clarification, I though that since immortal guard is swordsman type it upgrades from swordsman :p Also , it makes no sense to me to uppgrade fully promoted with hit-n-run stuff skirmosher into heavy unit. But well, I need some of this immortals to guard the emperror instead of mercenary hoplites so ... gonna get some
I had the same idea on mind about elephants but didn't knew that requierements for the stable are so severe , I like it though - makes historical sense.
Once again thank you for answers.

Don't underestimate a bunch of skirmisher. The germans have the best skirmirsher, with a lot of upgrades. And romans have velites. The skirmisher haven't got enemy units with bonus vs them.

They are very cheaps, don't need resources, don't cause desforestation, and with romans, is the best unit when they are upgraded to legions: they have a free flank I and skirmish I. If you fight with them, and put skirmish II and III... then as legion...

More, I get a lot of velites with city attack (V), because enemy composite bow has bonus vs sword, but nothing vs skirmisher. I can use them as a BTS catapult, they have withdrawal and cause collateral damage. And they can harass before to attack. Obviusly, they need defensive units (horseman, principes, etc). My best legions were velites before.

About elephant, that requirements allow, in historical maps, only certain civs can train elephants, but in random maps, all can train elephants, if they have the correct terrain (desert) or feature (jungle).

I don't remember if the patch 2 has elephant in mercenary post, if you want some, buy them! and you will not have headache with requeriments.

Ah! Thx for your proposal. We are now at:
Great Philosopher / Settled Ph. / Ph.
Great Artist / Settled A. / A.
Great Builder / Settled B. / B.
Great Merchant / Settled M. / M.
Great Spy / Settled Agent / Agent

The unit Merchant will get the name Trader.
The unit Spy will keep being a Spy. :)

We in the german forum say, it's easy to understand. Otherwise you think it's a new feature or something else, like putting slaves into libraries, temples, etc..
But if you instist of you great proposal about High and Master (what I think fits best for the person, but not for the feature) then tell me and I will put your proposal into the German forum.

I didn't like 'Remarkable' because it just wasn't a phrase used in English anywhere. 'Settled' though is much better as it is merely descriptive and not a title, if that makes sense.

I don't underestimate skirmishers , this is my most numerous unit (alongside with archers). What I meant is that I upgrade them with retreat and collateral damage promotions due to their role and it looks realy wierd to have heavy Swordsman unit(Immortal guard) with those promotions afterwards.
I'll make a bunch with some more combat oriented promotions then.

I am really confused with the rules about ship's movement. Interface does not show correct length for the ship's path. Say if ship has 7 :move: it will tell you your ship can move 7 tiles. But this will be true in very few cases only. Most of the time enemy culture, damage to the ship, some other unknown/undisclosed rules will make your ship moving 3-4 tiles only. This is on top of the random misfortunes that can happen to the ship in open seas, adding to unpredictability. I strongly suggest fixing interface so at least one could plan his moves -- player has to know how far will his ship actually go. :dunno:

I am really confused with the rules about ship's movement. Interface does not show correct length for the ship's path. Say if ship has 7 :move: it will tell you your ship can move 7 tiles. But this will be true in very few cases only. Most of the time enemy culture, damage to the ship, some other unknown/undisclosed rules will make your ship moving 3-4 tiles only. This is on top of the random misfortunes that can happen to the ship in open seas, adding to unpredictability. I strongly suggest fixing interface so at least one could plan his moves -- player has to know how far will his ship actually go. :dunno:

The rules are in civilopedia, pae mod concepts, shipping.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 80

Second this, as things could be a bit clearer.

The rules are in civilopedia, pae mod concepts, shipping.

Ermn, it's not really a rule issue as it is more of an interface issue. The only way I seem to be able to get things mostly accomplished naval wise is to use the number keypad. At least for me that is. Not sure about Tigraines, but I definitely understand what the issue is.

If I remember correcty, the wrong display for ship movements could only be corrected in the DLL. An early if-branch for the sea fields
produces the wrong estimation of costs for each movement.
Code:
int CvPlot::movementCost(const CvUnit* pUnit, const CvPlot* pFromPlot) const
        {
                if (pUnit->getDomainType() == DOMAIN_SEA)
                {
// Multiplication with 2 required for double movement costs
                       return GC.getMOVE_DENOMINATOR();
                }
[...]

Hi, doing stuff complicated is simple - but doing it the way, that's simple for the user is complicated. But the UI-adaption would be helping the players (like me) a lot, because I only read the manual/civilopedia if I'm interested in advanced hints/information.

Thanks for this Mod :goodjob: I like playing it and I'm waiting for the next update (currently I'm playing some Rise from Erebus).

Greetings:

Makarius

Top Bottom