1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pie's Ancient Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Feb 5, 2010.

1. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

We got hard troubles in OOS at the moment due to the python export changes. Single player should work fine. We are busy to solve this....

mourndraken likes this.
  2. Bungle

Bungle Chieftain

3. Bungle

Bungle Chieftain

Long time lurker here :scan:

Me and my bro can't wait to spend another few hundred hours playing PAE in hotseat.. we tried playing Civ5 while waiting, but it just doesn't compare! For us, PAE is up there with FFH and Rhyes :king:

If you leave us hanging, we might have to pick up the last version of PAE again :D

mourndraken likes this.
  4. pie_at

:thumbsup:
    :scan: hm... Hotseat could work too....
    but we try to solve another unknown error, which brings the game to crash...
    ... since we exported the python files... we got troubles.... damn...

5. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Probably not the problem but python is notorious when it comes to leading white space. I have seen code work fine on one computer and crash on another because the default "tab" length is equal to a different number of spaces on each. This is the main reason to not mix leading spaces and tabs on a line or in a module.

6. pie_at

Yes, ... we try to get this done...

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

We only found the solution to our problem when we changed the tab size to double what it was normally on each of our machines and went through the changed code line by line. Very tedious.

8. davbenbak

davbenbak Lackey

I'm still waiting for a good ancient scenario/mod for Civ6 to be posted on the Steam Workshop!.

9. mourndraken

mourndraken King

hey here is a short video that describes some ancient libraries.

10. pie_at

:scan::)
    For Civ6? :lol:

thx mourn

11. pie_at

It looks quite good! We could repair those sudden CtDs and fixed some bugs due to the export of python files.

I have fast turn sets, an impressive aggressive Barbarian AI, hardly no CtDs (unreapeatable, 1 in 100 turns) and it makes fun... oh my godness.... ;)

PAE Patch 4 is still in development, but I will give you an Alpha version soon, where the late antiquity will be at work, but you can play all the rest as if it was Patch 3, but with all new features und functions.

12. CedricSoubrie

CedricSoubrie Chieftain

Hey we were planning to do a full PIE week-end with a friend, and I just discovered that Patch4 is on its way. Do you think we can try it this week-end ???
    I'm so excited to test a new version of your AWEEEEEESOME mode !

13. pie_at

puh.... puh... I did not check the OOS compatibilty yet.... puh... and I come home very late the next days.... hm...
    alternatively: I try my best and you could create a second PieAncientEuropeV folder:
    1. copy PieAncientEuropeV
    2. rename into what you want
    3. delete the public maps folder
    4. paste the patch4 files, I will try to give you on Friday
    (all the publicmaps are in there, but the folder has changed to privatemaps)

rename the one, you don't play with to e.g. PAE_Patch3 or PAE_Patch4. The one version you'll play has to be called PieAncientEuropeV otherwise it won't work.

14. CedricSoubrie

CedricSoubrie Chieftain

Maybe we'll play with patch 3 then. In order not to get OOS. I'm a bit lost with all those versions/patch.
    Which one is the most robust to OOS ?

15. pie_at

Yes, it's Patch 3.

the upcoming patch 4 isn't tested for OOS. I am still fixing bugs there...

16. pie_at

Cedric! Now tell me. What was going on last weekend. I really hope everything worked fine!

17. CedricSoubrie

CedricSoubrie Chieftain

We had to cancel. The girlfriend of my friend had trouble so he had to come back home. I hope we'll be able to schedule another game. Maybe in september with Patch 4 ;-)

18. pie_at

Oh! ;) ok. a pity. but life comes first.

19. LAF1994

LAF1994 Chieftain

A couple of thoughts:
    1) Currently some of the religion tech assignments don't fit. E.g. why do the Assyrians have Zoroastrianism? Historically AFAIK the Assyrians followed the same Mesopotamian religion as the Babylonians as both were Akkadian peoples. Also, why is Judaism researchable by anyone instead of being exclusive to the Hebrews?
    2) The AI behaves really weirdly in wars. It often just has an army fortify on a random tile or march back and forth rather than trying to take any cities.
    3) Maintenance in the Bronze Age/early Iron Age is a bit too high- it's nearly impossible to have more than 4 or 5 cities without your economy crashing.
    4) In the scenario maps (e.g. Eurasia), there should be more Horses resources at start. It's a bit weird that only Assyria has horses. I'm aware of the capturing wild horses mechanic, but the problem is that the AI tends to wipe them all out before you can research Horse Husbandry.

20. pie_at

Txh Laf for your thougths, let me see, if I can convince you when saying:

to1)
    Zoroastrianism: it is possilbe to play PAE on random maps with random civs. I am very proud of this setting, because I am not stucked to play all my games on one map where you know everything after one game. Even RTW is hooked on a map. What is if I want to feel like the ancient people: knowing nothing about the surroundings. only Barbarians there. is it really a better game feeling when you can say.... let us quickly research big ships to settle America, which is (eg.) in the west from us? I don't feel so? I love to play on random maps too.
    Ok, so because there is the possibility to play random maps with random CIVs and there is also the possibility, that scenario makers do not add all CIVs there, it can happen, that some of the founding CIVs don't appear. If you look at the pedia, I give Zoroastrianism only to CIVs that are in the nearby area of this religion. Bactria? Persia? Assyria? Babylonia? Syria? Late Sumerians or Phoenicians? Who knows, everybody of them could found it, why not? Is this (modern) religion really stuck to only one CIV? Or is it just a developement of the older religions? Who was first? That's it.
    Judaism: the same like above. Do you really think the Judaism depends on beeing Israelite? Lets go back... the religion could also be found in Egypt? From slaves. Who else do need a messias? They had luck to flee from the Egyptian army, make an invisible power responsive for that -> boom -> new religion was found. And they could settle down in there home territory again, where they were enslaved hundred years before. Great story! Why not believe in a new god now?! And it's only one(!) god, how simple is that! They must not learn the names and meaning of 100s of Egyptian gods anymore.. would you like to do so in a foreign country, in slavery, without understanding their language?

So, if there are Israelites playing on the same map, the AI has the command to research monotheism first. Without the Israelites in a game, everybody can found the religion. Why not? If you can enslave people, you should also be able to found a religion that waits for a messias!
    That's my thoughts.

to2) The AI is based on the firaxis programmers. But...after I improved PAE with a much more harder gameplay (hard effects after desasters, revolts,...) to distract from the lower AI behavior ... something funny happened: PAE was not "funny" and "playable" anymore. People don't like that. The harder the game, the more frustraded players. After a hard day for example, people want to play games that make fun, are easy and especially manageable.

to3) intended. If you look at the Tech tree, more happiness/health/wealth stuff comes later. Compare history. How long a conquered bigger empire did last that days? Forever? And how many states were city states? Look at the Greeks and their timetable. 700 BC. City states only.
    Look on a map of 700 BC: where are the Hittites? A very big empire 1220 BC!.
    In Bronze Era we didn't have the knowledge to control a big empire for a long period.

to4) Horses!
    Horses came from the Eastern steppes. and horses did not get used for war for a long, long time! Look at the timetable. Saddles. Horseshoes. Merchants and workers used horses. In Patch 4 it is the first time, you will see the correct time line for the use of horses for battles. The technologies of mounted warfare in PAE are shifted to the late classical era into the late antiquity. So it's ok, if there are no horses until 1500 BC in europe. PAE patch 3 starts 4000 BC, patch 4 starts 5000 BC. So it is more realistic now. About 3500-3000 BC there were found horses for transportation purposes in middle Europe. So, it's ok when horse bonus resources starts in the east of the scenario maps (steppes, mesopotamia). Do you remember when Celts/Gauls (West Europe) used horses for warfare? It's an amazing time difference to Egyptian chariots!