Pie's Ancient Europe

To other civilizations? I need open borders for that? Not many civs are liking me usually. Everyone wants to drag me into their wars and then every civ has -xy refused to help during war or attacked friend (vanilla problem not PAE's). Is there some PAE specific way to befriend other civs? I am playing with tech trading off.

Edit : Restarted game, set diff to Monarch from Emperor. Still without luck of befriending other civs to open borders so I could trade with them. Used WB to open borders and spread religion there just to have chance to trade.
I must say it is exciting feature and fun to play with. I am curious how prizes are calculated because I can get profit even from goods trade partner also has. Science from trade is cool, is it possible that AI uses this efficiently and gets edge in research on higher difficulty?

I do like governors stuff very much, great that hero unit can become great governor too

Last edited:
Spreading resources is different from the previous version and I haven’t been able to figure it out yet. I get a menu where I can purchase resources for the wagon, but it doesn’t seem to do anything other than allow me to sell it for 50 food units. What is the procedure now for spreading crops to other cities?

Do burnt forests eventually regrow? I haven’t seen it happen yet and catastrophic events have turned several large parts of the map into permanent wastelands.

Trade: of course, the AI uses the feature.
Spreading resources:
1. therefor you need the grain waggon
2. you buy a resource in a city (cheaper when the resource is in the city radius)
3. you will see green circles on the map. There you are able to spread a resource. move to that plot.
4. there should be a button to spread it. cattle works 100%, grain 80%. try again if grain didn't work.

Notice: if you put a grain waggon onto a plot with a resource, you can move it to another plot you like
Notice: the better the city status (bigger cities), the more resources you can spread in the surroundings
Notice: all infos in the pedia: PAE concepts

Burnt forests: no, they have to get cut (scorched earth)

If it is not too difficult to implement, I would suggest that burnt forests eventually regrow which they would over the time periods represented in the game.

I am having hard times taking cities. Anyone can provide any tips? I am ofcourse taking walls down to 0. Bringing more ranged units than enemy. I am having skirmishers, axemen and shieldbearers and many cretan archers in stack but all units in my stack are damaged anyway so I am having like 10-15% chance to win and maybe 25 to withdraw with skirmishers. With chance that my units will switch side to enemy after defeat it seems allmost impossible to defeat 10 defenders with 30-40 units

Last edited:
I am having hard times taking cities. Anyone can provide any tips? I am ofcourse taking walls down to 0. Bringing more ranged units than enemy. I am having skirmishers, axemen and shieldbearers and many cretan archers in stack but all units in my stack are damaged anyway so I am having like 10-15% chance to win and maybe 25 to withdraw with skirmishers. With chance that my units will switch side to enemy after defeat it seems allmost impossible to defeat 10 defenders with 30-40 units
Swordsmen can go two tiles, keep them away while you are shooting the garrison, then attack through the plain.

Thanks for advice. After first city taken and best defenders slain next city is a bit easier luckily

Last edited:
Burnt forests can re-grow once cut down, as long as there is some unburnt forest on an adjoining tile.

Sorry I don't know if I'm being really stupid, but I've downloaded the mod, installed it and that's all fine. Then I go to load mod, and select Ancient Europe. Then the mod loads, but how do I actually get into a game? If I look at the scenarios, there is nothing that seems specific to this mod. And if I set up a custom game or even click play now, it's just a totally normal game of civ. Is there some extra step that I'm missing to actually get into the scenario? Thank you to anyone who can help and I have to say I really can't wait to play this mod as it sounds amazing. I just can't figure out how to actually play it!

Hi logan,
if you really can't wait, let's hurry to solve your problem before you'll get insane ;)
did you rename the mod folder? It has to be called PieAncientEuropeV otherwise some files in the mod folder can't find the correct path.
did you install it into the original BTS mod folder and not into the "My Documents"-folder?

Wow! :wow:
I just saw your "Beschiffbare Flüsse" project in your German site.
My German is easy but it looks really promising. It's really something that should had been coming with Civ4 Vanilla.
I hope hope you will share it with the community as a modcomp too.
Keep up the good work! :cheers:

Puh,... we tried the navigable river per XML and python but it doesn't work without SDK. At the moment PAE is playable without SDK (for MAC users) and the next step would be entering the SDK mazes... ;)

What is needed to add civs to the Hellenic 40 or Eastern Med 40 scenarios? I tried to add a civ to Hellenic by editing the PAE L5000BC 40 CIVs Hellenic.CivBeyondSwordWBSave file in Private Maps. The civ appeared in the list but when I selected it the game crashed so I must have done it wrong. I made it civ no. 18, copied over civ info from another scenario, then added a starting city to a suitable plot. I'm not sure what do do with nearby resources. Advice would be much appreciated.

Do you use the 40Civs.dll? (locates in PAE_Extras/40Civs and has to be kopied in the Assets-folder)

otherwise CIV 18 is the Barbarian CIV and the game will crash.

and with the 40civ.dll you'll have all 40 civs in the 40 civ scenarios or at least almost 40 ;)

I used the 40Civs.dll. But which Assets folder? I put it into Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\PieAncientEuropeV\Assets. Only the XL 40 Civs and Cities work. None of the other 40 civ scenarios allow more than 18 civs. Don't the extra civs need to be specifically set up in the scenario files for this to work? They're not there which was why I tried to add one.

Ah, if the 40 civ scenarios aren't in the privateMaps folder, they are in PAE-Extras/40Civ folder
copy them into the publicMaps folder.

the Assets folder of PAE is correct.

I've tried all the files in the Extras folder. 40Civs.dll only works for a Custom Game where you add civs yourself (changing Closed setting to AI for how many you want to add) and for the XL 40 Civs and Cities scenario which has all 40 civs specifically listed in the scenario file. The extra civs for the other scenarios are not set up in the scenario files so they don't work and you can't (or at least I can't see how to) add civs to a Custom Scenario. If I've got this right, someone just didn't get around to adding those civs to the files and that needs to be done before they'll work.

Alternatively, instructions on how to add civs to the files ourselves would be equally welcome.

Last edited:
Hello Antigenes2,

could you please try to open "PAE Eurasia" as Custom Scenario? I assume that you could alter the number of Civs in this file.

Explanation:
Firstly, I should note that the number of "BeginPlayer/EndPlayer" and "BeginTeam/EndTeam" entries in WorldBuilder-Files are not so important any more. In Civ4:BTS you can not open files with the wrong number of entries, but in PAE.
Thus, the annoying manual editing of WBSaves is not required in many cases.
Secondly, the reason for your problem: It exists two different types of scenario files. If the BeginPlayer/EndPlayer-Section is empty (LeaderType=None ?!), you get the the big selection screen where you could add player slots.
If the Players are already defined you just get the list of available leaders and can't change their number.

You could add civs to the second type manually by editing the text files:
• Start a game with the desired new leaders,
• Open the WorldBuilder and save the game as scenario
• Open both scenario files in a text editor and transfer the leaders into open slots of the other scenario. Do not forget the BeginTeam/EndTeam-sections.
• Load the changed scenario and give the new nations starting units.

Well, I had also developed a mod component to automate these steps but it was never finished/included into PAE :-(

Yes it's the second type of scenario I'm trying to add to, e.g. Hellenic etc. And yes I can open the other type with no defined leaders and add extra ones that way. I will attempt your suggestion. Thanks.

I started thinking about this and have hit some possible problems. If we call the first sort of scenario type 1 and the second (with leaders) type 2, are you not going to need an equivalent type 1 map in order to create the right info to fit into the type 2 map: i.e. starting city coordinates and plot information? Or can you just use any type 1 map? If you can't there's a problem in that Eastern Med and Hellenic don't have type 1 maps. Maybe they can be created by stripping out all the leader info. But will civs you add then occur in the right place automatically? Or do other files also have to be edited?

There is already a type 1 map equivalent for 18 Civs+barbs, which is the one I'd most like to change. But with that map (and Hellenic as well) I can foresee the need to move some Barbarian cities to make room for new civ starting cities.

I can still have a crack at this for myself, but I don't see an alternative to a scenario maker having to add those civs by hand for Hellenic 40 civs and Eastern Med 40 civs if you want those scenarios to exist. Or turn them into leaderless maps.

Last edited:
Hello Ramkhamhaeng or other PAE experts,

I have successfully-ish added a civ to the 18civs+barbs scenario. I added the Britons in place of the barbarian city of the Iceni. But there are still some unknowns:

Does anyone know what TeamReveal does and how it should be used? This is for plot reveal clearly but I don't understand how it should be set up. Without knowing this I don't think I can do anything more complicated, such as moving barb cities to better locations. For the above scenario most plots have TeamReveal=40 (40 are the barbs) but some have 18,40 (now changed to 19,40. I'm assuming 18 used to be the barbs and is now obsolete) and some also have civ numbers attached (e.g TeamReveal=1,40) and I don't know what governs all this.

Top Bottom