Pie's Ancient Europe

10 ranks for Rome: ok, I will post this to the German forum, to find out what they say

Villa Rusticas: are very powerful, so it's good they only can be built by praetorians. due to the ranking feature, it is more easy to get praetorians. Veteran + rank of Immunes, I think.

Christianity: comes automatically when arriving 0 AD. In PAE VI, it will be either 0 AD or the tech again.

Praetorians: Praetorians shouldn't become a mass unit

Map: I think, I have the first you've posted, where I changed that to see if it was working. And yes, it did. I will have a look.... oh... it's on my old killed notebook... damn... but plan B, I will download your first post of the map and try to change it again.

@Brosso: I finally have added the murex building for phoenicians and carthaginians. and lots of other small changes. I think, you'll like it!

10 ranks for Rome: ok, I will post this to the German forum, to find out what they say

Villa Rusticas: are very powerful, so it's good they only can be built by praetorians. due to the ranking feature, it is more easy to get praetorians. Veteran + rank of Immunes, I think.

Christianity: comes automatically when arriving 0 AD. In PAE VI, it will be either 0 AD or the tech again.

Praetorians: Praetorians shouldn't become a mass unit

Map: I think, I have the first you've posted, where I changed that to see if it was working. And yes, it did. I will have a look.... oh... it's on my old killed notebook... damn... but plan B, I will download your first post of the map and try to change it again.

@Brosso: I finally have added the murex building for phoenicians and carthaginians. and lots of other small changes. I think, you'll like it!

The unit I was suggesting be buildable by cities with provincial palaces isn't the praetorian... It's the one that allows you to build governor's residences (and, thus, courthouses and a bunch of other stuff). I thought it was called praetor or something like that.

Re: Christianity, got it. That would explain it, because I'm still BC.

Praetorians for Villas... Huh, I must not fully understand the promotions because I've only managed to create 1 so far.

Another thought regarding legions and promotions - is it intended that only the base legion unit can build roads? I noticed that my promoted units (Centuria?) cannot. Not that big a deal - I have a couple of stacks of Auxilliaries handling roads.

Regarding the map, i posted two versions - the older one that you looked at and suggested I edit, and the edited version that still doesnt work.

Thanks,

Arrian

Oh the praefect. OK, no this guy has always been sent from the capital. Besides this is also a strategic thing: do you create a praefect until you got the one you want, or do you use your capital for more important stuff (research, wealth, buildings,...)

Roman roads: can only be built by the poor unranked soldiers. A centurio doesn't build roads anymore.
So to build Roman Roads you need low ranked legionaries.
(in history from the rank of immunes a legionary didn't have to build roads anymore)

Map: I know and I will change the first and not the edited one. because I think I tested it after my changes and it worked. you'll just have to change pigs, cows and so on as you want. (if I can repair it successfully)

Ok, here you are. In PAE VI it works ;)

Attachments

• PAE Massive Arrian.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 95

Yes lol I noticed in the list of changes for the new release ;P
Came around to the murex idea after all, huh?

yeah, I write down all possible ideas and suggestions. when I got time, I do research for it and think of it some days. After new researches and possibilities in-game I come to a conclusion ;)
and after some researching I really liked your idea.

Hey a couple of thoughts as I've played most of the way through the tech tree as Rome (PAE V, obviously)...

They way ivory works now seems a little too easy. You can trade for it and then build elephant farms in every city and have ivory & build war elephants. You get ivory markets for +10% gold, which is powerful. I can build War Elephants in northern Gaul if I want to. The old way was that it worked as a resource like, say, olives, and you could only spread it to cities that had desert or jungle tiles in the city radius. That was probably better.

Cedars (for building ships faster) seems to spread readily. I do have a large empire, so maybe that's skewing my perception, but it seems like I've gotten a lot of extra timber. Maybe the spread rate is a little too high? I'm not sure on that one, though.

Is it just me or are military units cheaper to build now? Or maybe their cost ramps up slower? Then if you build the weapons manufactories you build 2 at a time (although the second unit comes w/o promotions from military academy/monuments/gladiator school/etc)!

Thanks again for an awesome mod and for your help w/my map!

-Arrian

Don't you need elephants to build the ivory markets, which provide ivory? Also I believe the markets decay if you lose access to elephants. That said I liked the old system better as well, especially as I'm all about the RP/feels :)
I may have mentioned in some other post that the AI seemed to have problems settling camels or elephants to create the camps, particularly camels which would spam up the Sahara and Arabia, even after they'd been captured by some AI. It would also hurt them because they wouldn't get those extra bonus camel tiles to work, which can make desert cities, like in Libya, less worthless. In my games I would often just open up world builder half way through the game and 'fix' any AI desert cities.
~Thinking more about the ivory, I like the idea that you can build a camp further away from the elephant source, which allows you to trade ivory more easily, say around Greece, or up into the Celts/Germs. I think it's a good thing that you can set up the ivory trading post further away for better distribution. Ivory isn't really key for anything anyway.

I totally agree with you about the Cedars though. I think a chance to find them is fine, but it is much too high. Lumber camps are probably the most common improvement, which contributes to this.

Thx, Arrian!

Elephants: in PAE VI, I will change that
1. You will distribute elephants, camels, horses and war dogs only one time around a city. elephants will also need jungle, camels desert and horses flatlands.
2. you will only be able to build such units in cities with a the certain stable
3. those stables can only be built in cities with the bonus resource around the city

Cedars: ok, I will decrease the chance. but of course, the bigger your empire, the more bonus resources

yes military units are cheaper. and I think it's a bonus enough to get a free unit, instead of all other free bonuses.
shall I limit weapon manufactories?

Hi PAE,

I'm back to CIV4 and PAE mod after several years. I just reinstalled BTS and PAEV. I don't remeber how to play with 40 civs, at the moment I'm capped at 18 max.

Hello, brilliant mod-maker

Let me convey my appreciation for this work; having recently bought Civ IV, I wanted to play longer on the ancient era and wasn't entirely satisfied with slowing game's speed. Ancient Europe V is however perfect to answer my wishes, so I thank you and everyone who took part in it.

I'm still on my first games, warming up and exploring the contents with the bretons, being a breton myself (although in the modern sense of the term). There's so much features I like that I won't make a list until I can pinpoint a few topics, I'm only still a little disconcerted by the imbalance in exclusive knowledges , not every civs having their owns. I studied a few years in the archeological fields, making it entertaining to see the reflection of the state of academical advancement.

Anyway, I play with the french translation. As you know, the V's version is incomplet, prompting me to open the xmls in order to fiddle with the most bothering things. Thus, I would like to ask you about the link provided in the readme; Is this tool freely accessible to anyone?
I'm interested in providing some translation occasionally, without other qualification than my own brain (and a few dictionaries). I still have a correct understanding of german and english, and I'm not completely clueless in italian. I wouldn't tamper with the work of previous translators, only fix the spelling or grammatical missteps, and offer a few new ones.

Have a good day!

oh wow! two brilliant posts since my last visit! hoho! :thumbsup:

Thorik: welcome back! I am recently in the end phase of PAE VI and it's amazing! I hope you are patient enough and wait for it to play too!
For playing with more than 18 CIVs: in the PAE folder go to the PAE_Extras folder and you'll see some extra stuff. There's a 40civ dll which you can paste into the Assets folder of PAE. Mission accomplished.

Manarch! I am proud to read a new player and especially even a new translator! Great! Yes, the tool is free for all (so please don't delete all entries ;)) and you can change, fix and improve texts as you want. I am very thankful for that because I am Austrian and a native german speaker (but graduated in English and French). I do my best to translate objects and infos with google translator but you know... some things... for example: Sacred Band. Is it Le Bataillon Sacré ou La Bande Sacréé ? I don't know.

So it would be very helpful and everytime I upload a patch, all the latest entries of the PAE online translation tool are included.
So, get started and all French an Italian players outside will thank you for that! (of course english people too, and for Spanish I've got a Hunk :hug: resp. a Spanish Civ IV community)

Last edited:
Over there will come my contribution, hopefully helpful and extensive in both time and content.

Now, I think I understood that the primary language is german. I have indeed noticed that the text is more detailed and/or different. Should I preferably base my translation on it?

In truth, I must continue to play at the same time because some concepts need to be put in context for better understanding of what is to translate. If I'm still unsure of some things, I may come back with a batch of questions like, what does this means or what is the better option for this. Is that ok to do so here or in a new topic?

For example, I would daily translate heilige Schar by Régiment sacré, but academics seem to have settled for Bataillon sacré on the Thebans, Légion sacrée on the Carthaginians (only checking Wiki there since it's not my area of expertise and I have no book easily reachable on the subject). Yes, I understand completely.

Thank you for your encouragements, and congratulations on your work again.

of course, you can start a new topic for that!
and yes, I do it like that: play CIV in a window and switch to the online translation to add and change texts.
In German I use more literary elements like:
"Das Judentum hielt Einzug in [%CITY]" instead of "Das Judentum kommt nach [%City]"
For other languages I just use a simple literary text form, because I don't dare to think about it.

Sacred Band: please use the most common form for an object/subject, eg a word experts would say ;)

And the most important texts in the game are Infos and Objects. Pedia texts can keep in english. they are not so important, lots of them are just copied and reduced from wikipedia.

Happy doing!! Do you play the PAE VI test version?

In the German forum I still have a first link for that, but I am still busy to add and repair some very nice features and soon I can upload a new test version.

A new feature for PAE VI:
Horses, camels, elephants and dogs are strategical resources and can now be cultivated in every city, where the enviroment fits. This means, elephants can only be spread next to cities with jungle, camels with deserts, horses with flatlands. But, there is a strategical limit: such a bonus resource can only be spread once to a city. that means, you can't cultivate elephants AND camels to one city.
The next step: you can only build eg mounted units in cities with a horse stable. And a horse stable is only buildable in cities with a horse resource. The stable will be removed, if the plot gets pillages. So the city can't build riders anymore. The same with camels, elephants and war dogs. So, I try to keep those resources strategic and give them a new strategic option.

Malach: I noticed, you're already busy in translating! Great!
I just want to explain the checkbox "waiting for French/Italian/Spanish translation": check this only if the english phrase or the existing english/german content has been changed.
I need this checkbox, because sometimes texts change after they have been already translated. So this is for you translators to see if a text has been changed to keep up to date. if I delete the whole language text (eg concepts), you would have to translate the full text again, even though a small part has been changed/added. so the checkbox is quite better! I often add english text into the other language translation, so it is more easy to see, what has to be changed.

Oups. I indeed misunderstood the use of this box, grasping that it concerned modifications on all texts, who were later to be included in patches. Sorry for that. Anyway I did some propositions on voak, but then proceeded to play for a while, with the Vth version. I can now relay some observations and opinions.

I experienced my first meteor shower, as my two hunters were engaged in a furious fight with a bear in the wilderness, when suddenly the sky crashes around them scorching the forested hills (and the nearby cereals). It was simply epic. I like a lot those environmental events, the storms complicating the sea travels, the fog paralyzing a unit…

Although the mechanics for resource’s spread is already one of the high point of the mod, this kind of implementation offering a great continuance for the Civ’s game experience, I’m impatient to discover the new propositions on Pae VI. On a side note, I now played enough to notice there’s menus in the top left of the main screen. Didn’t saw them at first.

I was surprised by the imbalance of the civs, but now I appreciate that they each demand a different play style, both in goals and in timings. I find the entirety of it of an adequate difficulty and balance, playing currently on monarch level. I equally like the reinvention of the concept of war. Another interesting thing is the difficulty of making friends, a customary process at the start of a standard game for me.

Concerning translations, my bundle of questions isn’t ready but I want to tell that while there’s sometimes small things to rearrange in the french one, other occurrences are inventive in top of being natural. I particularly enjoy the texts for governor’s events.

I wanted to ask you about an odd thing in the mercenary concept. When I commission a hostile expedition, it happened multiple time that “someone” in my staff decides to spend some more. I learn the next turn that one or two other expeditions have been launched on other civilizations, neutral or hostile to me. Is it a game mechanism? It’s not referenced in the civi but does not seem totally random, only, heh, emptying my treasury.

Oups. I indeed misunderstood the use of this box, grasping that it concerned modifications on all texts, who were later to be included in patches. Sorry for that.
no prob ;) it was my bad. I described it really bad. I've changed the explanation and hope, it's now better.

Anyway I did some propositions on voak, but then proceeded to play for a while, with the Vth version. I can now relay some observations and opinions.
Of course, you have to play otherwise you can only guess some phrases.
But lots of texts in the translation tool are for PAE VI already. So if you translate them now, they will be included for the next download version. My plan is to give you a demo of PAE VI soon. Some scenario modders also have to change things.

I experienced my first meteor shower, as my two hunters were engaged in a furious fight with a bear in the wilderness, when suddenly the sky crashes around them scorching the forested hills (and the nearby cereals). It was simply epic. I like a lot those environmental events, the storms complicating the sea travels, the fog paralyzing a unit...
you like challenges ;) me too.

Although the mechanics for resource’s spread is already one of the high point of the mod, this kind of implementation offering a great continuance for the Civ’s game experience, I’m impatient to discover the new propositions on Pae VI. On a side note, I now played enough to notice there’s menus in the top left of the main screen. Didn’t saw them at first.
:) I'm sure, the (positive) surprises during game play will continue ;)

I was surprised by the imbalance of the civs, but now I appreciate that they each demand a different play style, both in goals and in timings. I find the entirety of it of an adequate difficulty and balance, playing currently on monarch level. I equally like the reinvention of the concept of war. Another interesting thing is the difficulty of making friends, a customary process at the start of a standard game for me.
thx! Great you found out! :)

Concerning translations, my bundle of questions isn’t ready but I want to tell that while there’s sometimes small things to rearrange in the french one, other occurrences are inventive in top of being natural. I particularly enjoy the texts for governor’s events.
Yes ;) those funny texts are very important, I think. Gives the game a certain appeal. ;)
In German we say: a cream cake.

I wanted to ask you about an odd thing in the mercenary concept. When I commission a hostile expedition, it happened multiple time that “someone” in my staff decides to spend some more. I learn the next turn that one or two other expeditions have been launched on other civilizations, neutral or hostile to me. Is it a game mechanism? It’s not referenced in the civi but does not seem totally random, only, heh, emptying my treasury.
hm.. you mean you lose money?
that the opponent attacks you back at once is ok. That happens when the CIV finds out, who's the customer (torture).
But you may not lose money for that!

Thx PIE for the support, too busy playing for answer you!
Great MOD as it always had be. Some question I care to share with you:
- cultivable resources spreads: I don't get why sometimes I can spread them and sometimes other cities are blocked
- regrading resource spreading. I noticed playing EUROPE XL, epi spead, monarch difficulty that AI spreads resources too slowly. I mean by 400 BC horses are yet only in Assyria and not spreaded to the map. I mean Egypt has a unique chariot unit that they will never build because no access to horses.
- Trojan Horse is bugged? I can't see a way to use it

greetings from Italy!

Top Bottom