Pie's Ancient Europe

Hi Thorik, greetings to Italy and to the modern Roman Empire ;)

- cultivation of grain/livestock: for each city status (pop 3, 6, 12, 20), you are able to spread a cultivable resource. if you found cities too closely, two cities perhaps share a resource
- horse spreading: this is fixed in PAE VI and will be a new feature: you will cultivate one strategic resource per city: either camels, horse, elefants or war dogs. (depending on plot properties)
- Trojan horse: I think, you can find its info in the strategic text. The unit can set a city defence to 0% in one turn.

Hello Thorik!

I'm able to concur on the ressource spread: it also happened to me that i never had access to horses because the only patch on my continent was in an area of constant war until the Nativity. Spreading ressource doesn't seem a priority to the AI, even when offered the means to do so.
Also encountered the non-usable Troyan Horse, but I didn't investigate its conditions of use very far.

Pie, clarifying the mercenaries problem; I payed for an expedition in a foreign empire, it's launched, then the following turn I receive one or two messages of acceptance for offer I'm supposed to have made toward mercenariy expeditions on other empires, hostile or neutral to me.
That is, I receive confirmation messages and treasury subtraction for non-existent commands.

Indeed, it's highly entertaining to have your magnificent fleet of invasion, carrying the finest army of the age, being forced to a stop or even turning back because of horrendous storms across the entire ocean, or to many horror stories by drunken sailors.:beer:

The spreading will now managed by me. The AI will spread horse to every possible city. So if the AI has 3 cities it will have 3 horses. And then it is easier for the AI to trade them. Besides, you can catch wild horses and get horses by defending chartios and mounted units.

In my latest test games it worked really great. You'll see!

Mercenary confirmation popup: ah, yes I know it. I didn't notice that I lose money, but I know the popup and don't know why. I will have a look again!

Yeah, about the funny texts: althoug they sound funny, it's the crazy truth:D

Hi, I tried to run the game on a mac steam version and it wouldn't. The farthest I got was about halfway on the loading screen of the mod. then a second screen popped up blank saying static text. I put the mod in the BTS mod folder, I was also told that it worked for mac so I don't know what is going wrong.

wonderful! some days ago the French translation was about 82%. now it is 87%. keep doing :thumbsup:

I am sorry, no MAC user has replied yet.
I am sure, you're not far away from the solution, especially when the error is about the static text. I think it's in wrapping the static text.
But I can't tell or help you more, because I don't have a MAC myself. ;(

all good, for some reason I don't know why, it started working yesterday. Great mod. Thank you for the help.

Good news from you, thx!
Really you don't know why? Damn. Would be great, if you close the open answer in your thread and say it works now. for other MAC users. Sad, that you don't know why...

You started playing yesterday and want some more scenarios? Are those included ones to less?
1. War of Diadochi
2. First Punic War
3. Barbaricum
4. Rise of Greece
5. Hellas
6. Peloponnesian War
and those European and Eurasian maps in different sizes

There are about 30 different CIVs to play in a different way, I think you will need lots of spare time ;)

Hi.

First of all, thank you for doing this wonderful mod.

- Can I use in a custom game maps like Pangaea, Inland Sea... or even "Big and Small" from K-mod?

- Generating a map takes a lot of time. I've tried using PAE Creation and PAE Life. Scenarios are ok.

- Also, I have a problem with the WorldBuilder in standard or larger maps, the game crashes so badly just taking a quick look at the map that I have to restart the computer. With small maps it seems to work fine.

Yes, my computer is a toaster, but I play with Fall From Heaven 2 (+modmods), which is a big mod too, and I've never had those problems. So, is this mod even more demanding?

Hi Shylon! Big welcome!

- Using custom maps: from BTS of course, if K-Mod don't use special terrain or features then you can use them too. just try it.

- Generating maps: yes, I am sorry, there is an unused terrain and feature included, I do not need at the moment. and the generator needs very long for that. I have changed that and in PAE VI the loading time is normal again.

- WorldBuilder: hm, than it looks like you have a memory problem. try CTRL-Z (I don't know if you need to active this in an .ini file): it shows the full map and civs but you are not in WB mode

- FFH 2: I don't know. Look at its size. PAE VI currently has about 1 GB although all graphic files are packed in FPK. PAE V a bit less although lots of graphics are unpacked.

I am currently testing PAE VI and it looks very good concerning turn times.

Yeah, it must be a memory problem caused by my horrible GPU :badcomp:, but I've used the WB a lot in FFH2 (+700 mb), and with Civ4 Colonization game using the mod We the People (+1 gb) without crashes, so this mod must be too demanding for me.
I'll use small maps or avoid the WB with standard size.

Oh, btw, is Rome balanced? Because in some games I'd love to have an overpowered AI Rome conquering almost everything while I try to survive, but I guess I could do it myself given them a lot of bonuses.

Thanks again.

A few questions:

- How do I get horses without the resource? The Civilopedia says something about capturing wild horses and a tech called Horse Domestication (I think the tech is actually Horse Husbandry). I can't find wild horses anywhere and I guess you capture them by attacking the unit.

- Does distance matter with trade routes? The Civilopedia first says it does, but later says it doesn't.

- Some resources don't give me the bonus :commerce:, :hammers: or :food:. For example, I have Silver (+2:commerce:), Copper (+1:hammers:) and Fish (+1:food:) connected to my city, but I'm only getting the :health: bonus from Fish. What am I doing wrong?

when will Pae VI come out?
I can't tell you a certain date, but I try to mod every night. I will soon put a full test version online where you can play PAE VI with my latest changes.
The test version is just for safety. After some weeks then I'll add it to the official download thread.

A few questions:
- How do I get horses without the resource? The Civilopedia says something about capturing wild horses and a tech called Horse Domestication (I think the tech is actually Horse Husbandry). I can't find wild horses anywhere and I guess you capture them by attacking the unit.
Ah thx, I change the correct tech name in the pedia.
yes, when you attack a mounted unit, it can spawn a horse.

but it will much better in PAE VI. the AI will distribute them in almost every city.

- Does distance matter with trade routes? The Civilopedia first says it does, but later says it doesn't.
Not in PAE V. In PAE VI it will be more profitable with more distance. but I do best to explain the new concept in the pedia.

- Some resources don't give me the bonus :commerce:, :hammers: or :food:. For example, I have Silver (+2:commerce:), Copper (+1:hammers:) and Fish (+1:food:) connected to my city, but I'm only getting the :health: bonus from Fish. What am I doing wrong?
Only :health: and :) can be traded to other cities. all other bonuses are local (on the plot, with an improvement).

I was confused because usually you get, for example, +1:health: from connecting Fish and another +1:health: with Harbor, and when I saw a +1:food: mousing over the resource I thought that I was getting +1:food: in all cities.

I'm playing on Prince difficulty to learn the mod mechanics and I've noticed that I reached the Iron Age around 2300 BC, and two AI players did it around 2000-1800 BC.

The map is PAE Europe Small and speed is Normal.

I think it's because some civilizations have less techs to unlock during Neolithic/Bronze Age, and with less buildings to build they are maybe converting :hammers: to :science:, like I do, so they are forced to advance faster.
Iberians, Gauls, Germanics... are fast. Egyptians, Persians, Greeks... are ok.

I was confused because usually you get, for example, +1:health: from connecting Fish and another +1:health: with Harbor, and when I saw a +1:food: mousing over the resource I thought that I was getting +1:food: in all cities.
Yes, this is CIV IV.

I'm playing on Prince difficulty to learn the mod mechanics and I've noticed that I reached the Iron Age around 2300 BC, and two AI players did it around 2000-1800 BC.

The map is PAE Europe Small and speed is Normal.

I think it's because some civilizations have less techs to unlock during Neolithic/Bronze Age, and with less buildings to build they are maybe converting :hammers: to :science:, like I do, so they are forced to advance faster.
Iberians, Gauls, Germanics... are fast. Egyptians, Persians, Greeks... are ok.
Every game is different. Handicap level, map size, number of CIVs, resources around the start cities. the tech tree info techs shall only show OUR historical time line.

Top Bottom