1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pie's Ancient Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Feb 5, 2010.

1. westinator

westinator Chieftain

RE vassals: I was referring to the mechanic in this pic, and how it only seems to work sometimes, and I'm wondering what determines when it works:
    upload_2020-9-21_19-14-0.png

I found a city that will take my 298 slaves at 198 gold a pop, which should pay for about 40 turns' worth of research at full tilt, which doesn't sound like much but the turn times on this Eurasia map are like 3 minutes to load and another 10 moving troops and demanding resources from vassals - I think something in my brain is broken because it shouldn't be fun, but I'm still at it upload_2020-9-21_19-16-59.png

2. westinator

westinator Chieftain

Didn't expect to see a revolt this big, but I the population had fallen by 3 and I'd forgotten to cull the gladiators; I also had more than 140 slaves waiting around, and they must have added to the count of rebellious gladiators :crazyeye:
    upload_2020-9-25_16-44-12.png

upload_2020-9-25_16-43-4.png

3. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

Fantastic :goodjob:

4. westinator

westinator Chieftain

upload_2020-9-29_17-52-16.png

can romans build fire service? what is special building iv

valetudinarium is pink and crashes game when clicked

below: very non-friendly, non-allied babylonians refill my supply wagon
    friendly babylonians.png

5. pie_at

pink button and special building IV are fixed in the new patch 6.4. specB IV was the aqueduct.

about the non friendly Babylonians: thx, I will take care of that ;)

6. westinator

westinator Chieftain

neat, a whole update awesome :) don't know how I missed that in April

unhappy surprise in new update: this description is a lie
    lies.png
    in fact, building emigrant seems to drop population to 1, not by 1

also, the AI seems slightly less dumb? maybe? but still pretty dumb, in this game Iberians besieged my city with Trojan Horse and didn't use it, and didn't pull out their wounded units and I was able to capture it :crazyeye:

Zeta Nexus likes this.
  7. pie_at

perhaps again a bug, which I fixed.

yes the AI is dumb. but this is mainly in SDK or even in the exe. don't know.
    hm.. about Trojan Horse: I could change the AI weight. perhaps then they know it's important.

8. westinator

westinator Chieftain

on civforum I saw someone suggested moving the unit count to the beginning of the name of the stack, instead of the end:
    upload_2020-10-5_0-50-4.png

this will not work:

upload_2020-10-5_0-50-24.png

9. pie_at

10. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Chieftain

Yeah, that was me! Great that you said it again in this forum... maybe Pie will see it now ;)

@PiE
    Just write the the amount of units (#) before "Unit Stack"

@westinator
    But for your stack on the second pic, even that wouldn't help :crazyeye:

As a workaround: Select half of the stack and divide by 2 :lol:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  11. westinator

westinator Chieftain

I'm getting good at counting, and it's very useful to know that 35 units fit in one line before the next one starts

upload_2020-10-9_10-45-8.png upload_2020-10-9_10-45-21.png
    something is wrong with these civics - they're almost the same, except recruiting duty is strictly better because it's cheaper and allows for more drafting and free units

12. westinator

westinator Chieftain

13. pie_at

oh thx, I'll change its settings a bit

14. westinator

westinator Chieftain

upload_2020-10-12_15-33-52.png upload_2020-10-12_15-35-45.png
    something is up with resources - they seem to be cloning themselves. I'm currently able to demand from vassals more wheat than currently exists on this Small map, because I take all their wheat in trade and then next turn I can seemingly demand the same wheat and the game counts it twice - very cool for astronomical cult benefits, probably not intended

also, in some cases I can demand resources from vassals that are near their cities but not in their territory

Also, the city rebellion/secession/civil war mechanic is cool, except the AI seems to be really bad at holding onto their island colonies and they're already disinclined to invasion by sea, so frequently in larger maps the Aegean is just filled with size-12 barbarian cities, and Sicily always revolts quickly - they tend to stay that way the entire game. Large AI sea invasions would be cool - I've seen the Britons do it a few times, but it's rare.

Also, breakaway civs forming/re-forming in historical territory is a very cool mechanic, and happened twice my current game, but they don't have any tech: the Vandals reformed their civ post-Christianity, but they hadn't researched Temple Economy yet.

Also, is it possible to have an Apocalypto-style setting that increases the number of random events? eg barbarian invasions, religious weddings etc

Also, this is extremely addictive and why did you have to make this mod, you've stolen my time and made most other games boring

15. pie_at

I very much beg your pardon :queen:

@Apocalypto: this would harm the AI too. so better not.

I am testing with archers only 50% city defense instead of 100%. this looks more exciting for human players.... and for AI.. there is no SoD necessary anymore to get cities.

@Sea invasion: there is no tag for that. so I don't know how to manage that. I think, this is an SDK AI programming.

@trade: I can't imagine that. the AI spread it, so perhaps there are so many resources ? you can have up to 3 wheat resources per provincial city :shifty:

and fish! Yes, there are to many fish resources on the scenario maps! I have to decrease them.

16. westinator

westinator Chieftain

upload_2020-10-15_14-47-30.png

I think i figured out the duplication issue, or at least part of it: I have Sons of Mars sent to me from two vassals: Carthage and Germany. Even though the resource is in Germany's territory, it seems that Carthage can access it because it's in Carthage's city radius.

17. pie_at

And you really get the resource via diplo screen?

18. westinator

westinator Chieftain

upload_2020-10-15_19-11-4.png

also, eurasia map needs at least 1 more iberian civ

edit: here's the save

edit: and fewer parthian civs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  19. pie_at

so many free citizens... do you play an older patch?
    I can't test it anymore because I still play with the upcoming patch 6.5.