1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pie's Ancient Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Feb 5, 2010.

1. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

A big hotfix patch will come this weekend! (PAE6.5.1)

lots of small bugs and helpful things are added....

these are the changes:

- Fix: nationality warning in city bar
    - WorldSize: more CIVs on random standard (16), large (20) and huge (24) maps
    - Grasshopper disappear faster
    - Assur: no Quradu-upgrade when units are officers
    - Python-fix: error when vassal gets a city from player
    - Map: PAE_Creation: no peak borders on coasts
    - Unit: horse DefaultAIType: UNITAI_ENGINEER instead UNITAI_ANIMAL
    - Fix: Panhellenion wrong movie & sound
    - Reduced provincial govenor tributes
    - Fix: no ranking and elite upgrade button for special elite units (eg Sons of Mars)
    - Fix: Supply wagon: non-friendly, non-allied CIVs refilled supply wagon
    - Fix: Supply wagon: farm and river +20 supply
    - Fix: AIweight for Trojan Horse
    - Fix: Hunter can now build Promo V buildings
    - Bugfix: Christianity 0 AD to Barbarians (disables BTS tech choosing with Theology)
    - Fix: no popup when civil war ends (ingame text is sufficient)
    - Scenario: PeloponnesianWar: small fixes
    - Fix: Olympic period adapted to the scenario calendar
    - Trait: Imperialist: improved
    - Change: Archer units 50% city defense instead 100%
    - Small changes in civic options
    - Tech tree changes (600-300 BC)
    - New tech: Republic (for Romans)
    - War dogs +50% against skirmishers
    - Maps: less fish resources
    - Heavy battering ram now later with Tech Weapons manufactories
    - Supply waggon provides 25-75 instead of 25-100 food to cities (game speed)
    - Civic polyarchy: no civil war due to the loss of a general
    - Fix: no shield wall formation for Teutons and Thracian Warrior
    - Pedia: Improvement Trading Post now shows merchant or caravan for requirement
    - Fix: end city riot with General in onCityDoTurn instead in onUnitMove
    - external trading posts 10% defense
    - own unit class for early trade unit (keftion)
    - Bugfix: Apothecary button twice
    - Fix: Illyrian city txt_keys on Eastern Med map fixed
    - Fix: only pasture or camp will be removed when collecting bonus resource for distribution
    - Update: creating autom. trade routes: shows amount of bonus resources the player or CIV has
    - Update: missionaries and cultists: circles of missing religion or cult also shown above vassal cities
    - Fix: comissioned mercenaries: gold cart immobile too
    - Update: gold carts can now be sold in foreign cities (for less gold than in capital)
    - Bugfix: Provincial palace: amount of happy bonus stays the same when establishing a new governor
    - cheap Onager unit (catapult) for Greek CIVs too
    - Update: Roman roads are like trade roads (for trading center calculation too)
    - Change: fire catapult is now an upgrade from a catapult/onager (with accuracy III)
    - Change: unit supply limit changed with handicap (10,15,20), before it was 20 (fixed)
    - Fix: culture doesn't go below zero in cities due to civil war
    - Wonder update: Great Pantheon of Rome: no Roman gods req, Bonus: no civil war in all cities due to missing state religion
    - New CIV for scenario modders: city-state

keldath likes this.
  2. pie_at

Ok, I added the patch to the download thread.

Gameplay is now a bit easier than in Patch 6.4.1. No religions required for civics, cults can be spread even with animism.

Lots of bugfixes, lots of help texts, some new pedia entries.... so all for a better game-play!

3. westinator

westinator Chieftain

1. I like the onager -> fire catapult update, and I like the new unit icon :)

2. my resource duplicaton issue is still there: dos por dos.png

3. And this invasion by Nubia is ridiculous
    what is this invasion.png

4. Deity is too easy - especially on the bigger maps like eurasia XL, where the AI doesn't start out with two cities, and spends the first 200 turns futzing around and sending basket archers out as scouts to get killed by bears. In this game, I was able to grab Arrowheads, Poleaxe, and Mercenaries before any other civs, and I beat all 30 Deity-leveled civs to build the Palace of Knossos and Dam of Marib

5. I play quasi-OCC so I frequently only have one city, and if I capture two enemy cities they'll revolt for a few turns and then... "More than half your empire is in anarchy! Anarchy reigns! Your advisors are clueless..." this is very annoying

What else.....

It's still way too much fun

Edit: fighting simultaneous wars against Hittites and Nubians, and...

upload_2020-11-17_22-41-39.png

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  4. pie_at

1. thx. did you proposed that?

2. strange!

3. yes, that looks interessting ;)

4. I can't make differences in handicaps between different scenarios. perhaps it was just this game. besides I got the info that players wants to have fun even on deity level

5. yes, thats hard. but beginning is always hard. you need cities with your own culture, you need a stable empire in your back when you try to conquer. burn cities down or take only renegading cities in that case :D

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Hey Pie - I was perusing through PAE folders for no particular reason..just do that sometimes. I stumbled upon this 4gb patch thingamajig. I'm like WTF is this thing. Seemed very simple to execute so I did. I'm still in disbelief, but I played several hours of IV without any slow down at all. Usually the game starts slowing down dramatically after 30 minutes to an hour. I'm in shock right now. This is life-changing :lol:

Is this what you and anyone else who tried this thing experience? How is this not more well known? I'd never heard of it and I've been here for ages.

6. pie_at

Yes, I am glad you checked it. I use this too. So, how can I bring that info to every PAE gamer in a better way? A readme file in the root folder? (I think, I forgot to mention that in the download thread)

7. westinator

westinator Chieftain

I downloaded it separately because I forgot it was there, whoops

8. westinator

westinator Chieftain

where is the track "ishtar" from?

9. pie_at

I've searched for free "ancient style" music and I got lots of tracks of free music to hear. I had those links on my old notebook that burned down :sad:

10. mynystry

mynystry jaguar warrior from hell

Hello Pie, I downloaded the new patch and installed it, but now I cannot open my current game, which I was playing on the past version. Is there a way to fix this, or only choice is starting a new game?

pae651-loading_error.jpg

11. Cat Whisperer

Cat Whisperer Chieftain

I followed the directions on installing the new patch and some things are updated and some are not for me. For example the following things appear to be updated:

- New tech: Republic (for Romans)
    - Maps: less fish resources
    - Civic polyarchy: no civil war due to the loss of a general
    -Fix: end city riot with General in onCityDoTurn instead in onUnitMove
    - War dogs +50% against skirmishers

But the following have not:

-Change: Archer units 50% city defense instead 100%
    - Update: gold carts can now be sold in foreign cities (for less gold than in capital)

12. pie_at

hi mynystry,
    no sorry, I've changed some things in XML structur and that's why saved games do not work with the new patch.
    the only way to get the save run is install PAE VI and the patch from the saved game. Patch 6.4?

hi cat,
    I will have a look, perhaps I forgot some archers. And the gold carts should be sold via BTS trading button?
    if not, I'll have a look.

13. Cat Whisperer

Cat Whisperer Chieftain

I figured out the Gold Carts – you can get a guaranteed 72 gold by selling them in a foreign city which is much better than moving them back to your capitol and getting a random 10-59 gold (minus what you paid for the supply cost while they are in existence).

In past versions you were able to capture a horse unit after you discovered Horse Husbandry and carefully move it back to one of your cities where it created a horse pasture. I could not get that to work in the current version and I am not sure how to get horses except by trade.

Combat promotions happen really fast. Whereas it is quite rare to get a woodland, guerilla, city attack, or amphibious promotion, it seems that you get a combat promotion every other combat so after a even a short campaign you end up with several elite and legendary units. They would be more unique if it took longer to get the promotions, so you would really woot like you do when you get the coveted Woodland V or Guerilla V.

14. pie_at

gold carts: oh thx, I will half its settings.

horse unit: now you should see where it can be distributed (circles) on plots. Horses can't build the stable in cities anymore, because I check the city surroundings if there is a horse pasture. Only with that improvement+bonus, the city is able to build a stable and produce mounted units.
    The BTS xml function would allow you to build stables in every city with horse connection.

Combat promos: Ok, I will reduce this chance! I also believe it's better.