1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pie's Ancient Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Feb 5, 2010.

1. westinator

westinator Chieftain

a few nits to pick:

upload_2021-2-8_11-45-2.png
    1. the add slaves to manufactory for production button doesn't go away when you add all five slaves

2. bread manufactory add slaves button infobox says you can add 3 slaves, but it allows 5

Question: in most of my games, I clear the land around my capital for forest growth, but there's always a stubborn tile or two where forest or savannah never grows. why

2. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

thx west. is noted.

forests: I don't know. this is a BTS mechanic. I just enable the growing of forests via the XML-tag in improvements.

3. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Chieftain

Could it be that there are recourses on those tiles... which you cannot see, yet?
    not sure, but maybe forest doesnt grow on resources.

4. westinator

westinator Chieftain

It's not resources, forests and savannah seem to grow fine over all types of resources

on some maps, it's the same tile over multiple games, like the one south of Rome on the Mini map.

how bout a feature/mechanic to plant a forest?

5. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Chieftain

ok... that's interesting!
    If you find such a plot on one of the Eurasia XL maps, let me know.

6. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

I though about the same, are there plans to have it ?
    Plus, will there be a "final" version of PAE VI?

7. pie_at

hm...
    to plant forests: technically it is no problem. but historically.... I don't know... I think this sounds to modern....

final PAE VI: yes of course: this will be PAE VII. with all patches of VI.

8. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

1. TBH, the idea to plant forest sounds enticing. I would gladly see it, if anyone is asking me.

2. Also, I keep thinking about the trade roads - since they are soooo random.
    What if the trade road:
    - could be build at high cost (e.g. 50 gold per plot).
    - could be build as a unit to be laid
    - would become a unit on exceptionally successful trade ?
    Any of those would make it non-random, not to mention that historically broader/faster roads did appear over time. And we play civilizations for hundreds of years in-game time. Wouldn't it deserve non-randomness?

3. What about a plot improvement like workshop or manufactory?

What think you all?

9. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Maybe limit it to Great Engineers.

10. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

About Christianity: is there ever an end to cities revolting and shrines being destroyed, other than adopting the new religion? Is there a deadline to it?
    Is there any way to preserve the old shrines from destruction after Christianity becomes the state religion?

11. pie_at

it doesn't happen that hard and stops with "modern" religions: judaism, hinduism, buddhism and jainism.

planting forests: I just watched a doc about the Easter Islands and their trees.....

12. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

In game judaism is ~700 BC, hinduism is one of the earliest religions, buddhism and jainism can only be developed by the Indians, which are not on my map.
    And destruction deosn't seem to end, unless you mean something else...

13. pie_at

then you have to convert to christianity.
    there are lots of reasons, why people changed from the poly to monotheism. I don't need to explain, this is found on www very often....

ah,.. and don't having slaves lowers the destruction too.

14. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

I feel there is sth wrong about the whole mechanic. Say I have Nordic, Celtic, Roman and Greek religion. First 2 give me 2 XP per unit, all 4 give me 4 culture, plus extras like Theater (with Dionysus cult). Even more bonuses from cults. If all this goes down because of Christian destruction, then I have to use slaves to make up for the loss. So Christianity = more slavery. Which is opposite to history and the in-game idea to abolish/limit slavery with Christian faith...

Am I missing something here?

15. pie_at

no, this is perfectly correct and historical! you can try to lower the damage with slaves but you will fail.... what happened with science and culture after christian religion got a state religion? this is called: the dark age.

this is what I want to show in game. to survive the destruction of culture due to a monotheistic religion. ....next to stronger enemies during migration times.

16. westinator

westinator Chieftain

this thread is popping, I should complain about minor things more often

in that spirit:
    upload_2021-2-11_19-24-55.png
    Decebalus has a special UU i guess

17. westinator

westinator Chieftain

and it's always bothered me that the button to upgrade something to a battle axe warrior
    upload_2021-2-11_20-42-1.png

uses the axeman icon

18. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

1. Ok, got it, is there anyway to avoid it? or do I have to purge all the time? also if I have Theocracy why does Christianity spread altogether?
    2. I also noticed that under Henotheism cities without the state religion rebel anyway, shouldn't this be fixed ?

19. pie_at

@West: you mean, it should better show the CIV typical icon ? hm.. I think, CIV uses the icon because it's the standard icon for the unit class. I'll have a look. but if it's a BTS feature (XML), I can't change that. and I don't want to change that to python (for AI too), because it is still part of BTS.

@Madboy:
    1. yes, that were hard times. why theocracy don't stop it: do slaves take care of the system (civic)? Slaves can become christian. theocracy only helps against spreading other religions by missionaries.
    2. the revolt is not caused by foreign religions. it is because of the missing state religion! without state religion, the citizens don't feel being part of the empire and of course try to get independent. Henotheism only works if you have other religions next to your main religion. otherwise I would have called it like the BTS civic: "Free Religion". but this is too modern, I think. I'd say, in ancient times, it was necessary to believe in the same gods otherwise you get killed ;) or if you're lucky, seperated from society....

20. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

Ok, maybe I misunderstood the description or the description is saying something slightly different.

Also, I've been playing War of Diadochi and was wondering if I can somehow put a limit to the number of units per civ? There is about 4000-5000 units on the map and it takes ~3 mins to end the turn :(

Or can sth else be done about it?