Pie's Ancient Europe

4-5000 units :eek:

1) kill 'em all! :smoke:

2) use nuclear bombs :nuke: ... just fun....

isn't it just in the beginning of the scenario?
unit costs grow per unit by 5%... strange...you could limit them in the unitclassinfos, but this affects the whole mod.
perhaps the map size? try the smaller one not the one by JD.

isn't it just in the beginning of the scenario?
unit costs grow per unit by 5%... strange...you could limit them in the unitclassinfos, but this affects the whole mod.
perhaps the map size? try the smaller one not the one by JD.

330 turns into the game. Actually, it gets worse the longer I play. And I did use the smaller map already :(

I'm playing Illyrians, barely manage to fend off the Romans and Germania-Gaul-Dacia, must keep about 500 units myself, otherwise any my neighbor attacks me. Plus the Illyrians have really poor units and I can only have 3 (THREE !) mountain warriors :)
The Ptolemy have ~600 units, etc.. The Romans sent against me 2 groups 45 units each plus back-up cavalry and wagons...

BTW, First Punic War scenario crashes to desktop on loading... You have the same?

hm.. is it your difficult level?

FirstPunic: I know. the scen has wrong civics. I'll fix that next patch.

hm.. is it your difficult level?

Monarch, does it do anything? Was the scenario meant to be played at lower ?

BTW, how to change the number of unique units (e.g. Mountain warrior), in Unitinfos ? I can't see a line/modifier in there that defines max units... or is it in another file?

monarch: maybe the AI builds lots of units on higher levels...

oh, it can be that I make unit cost cheaper..... do you play the latest patch/hotfix?

unit limit: you can change that in the unitclassinfos (not UnitInfos). this is very easy there.

monarch: maybe the AI builds lots of units on higher levels...
I'm thinking this may be the escalation problem, the Illyrians start with 3 cities only. the only way to survive is to build up a defensive army. The Romans come quickly, after them Dacians and Germania. Once I build up, they build over "my up", so I have to build more, etc. Once I had 3 wars at once and had to exploit every bit of terrain to defend and took only one city.

oh, it can be that I make unit cost cheaper..... do you play the latest patch/hotfix?
No, I'm playing 6.8 without patches.

But even if I change the limit of Mountain warrior, it will not be effective in the current savegame, right?

hm... try it. I think it's save compatible and you play with the new values. changing values in XML structures works, add or delete XML structures doesn't work on saves.

1. Ok, so I changed the MaxPlayerInstances to -1, and the savegame reads it properly. But this means that all units in Special1 category are now buildable without limits (which includes my enemies...)

2. I tried changing Mountain warrior to Special4 (no limit, in UnitInfos) and it doesn't work, neither with the savegame nor with a new game, why?

3. Is there any way to only change the Mountain warrior ?

BTW, ending a turn in new game takes about 15 seconds...

Last edited:
1. yes

2. then you did sthg wrong. to change that warrior to special 4, you have to change the Units/UnitInfo (only rename the last digit of SPECIAL1 into SPECIAL4) AND you have to change the Civilizations/CivilizationInfo for the Illyrians. again the special unit class link.

3. no, except in 2). but do you really think, this is fair? that warrior is really very, very strong if you are first in iron weapon tech!

shall I change that in the next patch and give them ST 9 instead of 10 ?

Well, I gave it some thought.
Playing as Illyrians is pretty difficult in this scenario, bad position & bad neighbors. They have no viable units between the hopplite (1 movement) and longswordman (very late Spatha tech). Changing the Mountain warrior to limitless, 9 str would make them on par with Carthage's Sacred band if believe. Surely would make them more flexible and a bit easier (Germania has limitless War band, str 11, Dacians have Sicaman str 9 and Axeman str 10, so it's still quite a menace. In the new case the Illyrians would have a bit more chance to handle the great powers around them, but not OP.

I think it would be interesting and more playable, game-wise. Yes, you could tweak it a bit. At least in this scenario the relation of power would be somewhat fairer.

In the end, Illyrians and Numidians are still the most difficult to play.

there are other ways : reason: to limit this fact, because you get great generals more easy (with legendary units during battle).

the new ways are:
-) settle slaves as exhibition fighters and then gladiators
-) build a gladiator school with gladiators
-) build monuments with great generals (eg triumphal arch)
-) steal monuments from conquered cities via supply wagon (eg obelisks)

@brettschmitt there's no civ adjective for the belgae in eurasia XXXL

@pie_at I eagerly await the formation that will protect my generals from being sniped... how can a lone rorarii kill my battleaxe warrior general when he's sitting in a healthy stack in a forest on a hill?
:spear:

and Furthermore, I am of the opinion that C̶a̶r̶t̶h̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶t̶r̶o̶y̶e̶d̶ the ai is really dumb and needs more boosting.

hm... belgae should be in there TXT_KEY_CIV_BELGER_ADJECTIVE

great general formation: ::goodjob: next patch.

AI: better the game is too easy instead it was too difficult. :mischief:

AND: But me, I am in the opinion, that Carthage should be rebuilt! :thumbsup:

events of one (1) turn, with Raging Barbarians on:
upload_2021-2-18_0-11-5.png

could the involuntary vassalization offer be initiated at a set percentage of cities taken, like 50%, rather than when there are only four left? or maybe somehow make the AI more likely to capituate...
upload_2021-2-19_1-58-18.png

In Rise of Greek Poleis I noticed:
- adjectives "abysdosian" and "astacusian" are in lowercase
- leader name Klearchos ofHeracleia has no space after "of"
I went thru some files XML and scenario but could't find the respective adjectives there. Don't know where it is...

EDIT: I found Klearchos name definition and "abydosian" in PAE_Scenarios. Corrected them, but the changes don't kick in either in save or new game. Astacusian there is proper Uppercase, but the game still shows "astacusian". I'm clueless...

I had 20 cities and built Panhellenism - each city got the cult and a chant was sung (20 times), then comes the bonuses and the chant is sung once more. So I had to listen to it 40 times. Can it be trimmed down to singing the chant only once, upon introducing the cult?

Last edited:
In Rise of Greek Poleis I noticed:
- adjectives "abysdosian" and "astacusian" are in lowercase
- leader name Klearchos ofHeracleia has no space after "of"
I went thru some files XML and scenario but could't find the respective adjectives there. Don't know where it is...
They are all in PAE_scenarios.xml (sometimes these texts can be harcoded in scenario file). But if you fix them, you'll need to start a new scenario. It's a vanilla bug. Leader name + civ desc/short desc/adjective are freezed if they are specified in a scenario (or worst, in foreign language multi-forms adjectives are lost).

Top Bottom