1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pie's Ancient Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Feb 5, 2010.

1. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

I changed the names and started a new game, but no effect. I guess the wrong names were saved into this scenario upon its creation...

2. Dertuek

Dertuek Chieftain

I don't think so but you can verify. Scenarios are text file.

3. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

So what do you suggest doing , if a new game doesn't work...?

4. Dertuek

Dertuek Chieftain

1/ Verify your text isn't hardcoded in PAE_Barbaricum_RiseOfGreekPoleis.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    2/ How do you fix the text? You modified it in file PAE_Scenarios.xml in Assets/XML/Text in the mod directory? (it should really work :o)
    3/ If above is ok. Maybe there is a duplicate key in XML files. The key you modified is TXT_KEY_CIV_POLIS_ASTAKOS3? (when I look there no duplicate key for it but who knows...)

Edit : I forgot. Do you play with the last patch (6.8)?

5. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

A: 6.8, no patches.

A: where is this file and how to verify? - ok found it (EDIT)

A: Yes, exactly there. Didn't change Astakos3, because it was Uppercase. Changed Leader name (line 2533) and abydosian>Abydosian (line 1660).

A: Where could they be?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. Dertuek

Dertuek Chieftain

You can verify the scenario in PrivateMaps in your mod directory (you can open the file with notepad) but I don't understand.

I just tried in a fresh 6.8, if I modify Abydosian in TXT_KEY_CIV_POLIS_ABYDOS3, all goes well in a new scenario.

7. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

thx, I will change this!
    Klearchos must be Clearchus too... Herakleia must be Heraclea ... there's more to change.... thx.

Ah, thx, yes of course! I will fix that.

8. pie_at

It goes like this. the AI will surrender with about 20% per city with at least 5 cities, but not every CIV. aggressive CIVs with 3 cities.

9. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

You're right, it works. I screwed something up, but it's ok now in new game. Thanks & cheers !

10. Jaguar55

Jaguar55 Chieftain

Hi, I have a question about Huns, if im not mistaken ,they supposed to appear as a new civ after a certain year, but i never experienced that. It seems to me that they appear at some time but that they are instantly destroyed by Hun barbaric units, maybe?
    And i have a suggestion, maybe leaders should be as in original game, animated, imo it gives the game more atmospheric experience.

11. pie_at

they only appear as civ if there is a free civ slot available. and they don't appear if they already exits.

Leaders: I can't animate them. I have not the know-how and not the programs for that. So I have to use pictures but at least of their original face/statue/portrait. for almost every leader.

12. Dertuek

Dertuek Chieftain

Cultivation units are allowed to sell loaded goods (button "741" in CvMainInterface.py, line 2533). But in calculateBonusSellingPrice in PAE_trade.py, only selling units are allowed to sell something. Which leads cultivation units to sell their goods for -1 gold.

Cultivation units shouldn't have access to the sell button or PAE_trade.py should calculte a true selling price for them.

13. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

1. A unit achieving Elite status (5 stars) can yield a Great General, earn Brass promo or get War weariness. What is the formula for this?
    2. Sometimes it happens that a unit with overwhelming advantage (>95% win chance) gets defeated. Don't you think that above certain level of chances e.g. 80% the losing unit should retreat, not die?
    3. If I want to add a button for e.g. workers this needs Python coding, right?

14. pie_at

@Dertuek: because to unload goods you didn't want. (and you bought them for 20,40 or 60 gold before, depending if you buy it in the city that owns the resource, in a neighbour city or from international trade). so this is difficult to handle "its price" then.

1. it's a random thing. do you need the chance of getting war weariness levels? at the moment it is 20-30-40-50-60 %

2. this is just a chance and it's BTS. It's ok, I think. besides, this can only be changed in SDK.

3. depends on the thing you want to do. if it's a new improvement, it's just XML.

15. madboy77

madboy77 Chieftain

I though about building Trade Road, with high cost increment, like 10-20% higher cost per plot. I noticed that trade roads get build early in the game, once conquest starts it virtually stops to create more, even with unbroken trade routes. Long, long peace seems to be the key.

So my idea is to have a chance to build it, especially on a few crucial plots, like supply lines into an area or sth like that. Would this need Python code?

16. pie_at

yes, then it would need python.

17. Dertuek

Dertuek Chieftain

ok I see

Another remark, why leaders (and other like few wonders) have very long name now? It sounds really strange to me. And sometimes it leads to weird situation like Bodicae, queen of Britons of Celts (WTF) in my game. Or I built Temple of Artemis at Ephesus ... at Roma (why the historical location is not written only in pedia?).

18. pie_at

I decided that with players in the german forum.
    why on leadernames: there are 2 advantages:
    a) in some scenarios they use the same general CIV for more tribes (eg Celts, Britons,...) and in the civ list, you see the difference in the name.
    b) when you play a custom or random game, you now see which CIV the leader belongs to. nobody can know 153 ancient leaders. perhaps only ancient historians.

why on wonders:
    just to learn about where they really belong to. for scenario makers a good thing, and for players just a good info. because not everybody reads the pedia!

19. Dertuek

Dertuek Chieftain

Hum, I don't really see where it's useful and don't like that but why not. That was just my point :o

Another point, why all civics strategy disapear? In the XML, there is <Strategy/> now. Which means we have no hint when we find a new tech which opens a new civic. Not a big deal but I liked this hint. I knew instantly if I should bother opening the civic advisor or not.

20. pie_at

because the strategy texts are wrong time after time. and civics always changed in the meanwhile. this informations are easy to see, when moving over civics by mouse or looking into the pedia or into the civic advisor. the hints are lots of senseless work. those are just Sid tipps and very unsatisfying, eg: This melee unit is strong against other melee units... haha.. I just can see this by myself if a unit is strong or not :D
    or: this unit is good for city defense.
    I don't need a tipp for that, I can see if a unit has city attack or city defense.