1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pie's Ancient Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Feb 5, 2010.

1. westinator

westinator Chieftain

upload_2021-3-6_16-2-0.png
    the event used to be related to attack dogs, but prarie dogs aren't dogs

these are prarie dogs:
    upload_2021-3-6_16-2-23.png

2. westinator

westinator Chieftain

upload_2021-3-7_18-36-31.png
    the enemy has strategically removed his rams from the city

3. westinator

westinator Chieftain

upload_2021-3-8_12-53-14.png
    may want to change cult yields for larger maps

4. Ramkhamhaeng

Ramkhamhaeng Warlord

Long time ago Pie commented that this error could be funny enough to keep it in the game.
    Reason for this bug is that prarie dogs are sometimes real dogs. It depends on the selected language of the game :D
    In German the word 'Präriehunde' is also colloquial speech for cojotes.

westinator likes this.
  5. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

6. westinator

westinator Chieftain

Eurasia XXXL is amazing, despite turns taking several minutes:

--I sold a pile of slaves and gold carts for 15000 in Britain (my capital is Rome, so far-ish away), slaves were 250/unit, can't wait to start conquering Persia and selling slaves there

--I'm receiving 145 bronze in trade from vassals, among other resources
    upload_2021-3-21_0-9-10.png

--AI is indeed making large cities, at least on Deity
    upload_2021-3-21_0-7-57.png

Attached Files:

7. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Chieftain

Thanks for the compliment westinator! :blush: :thumbsup:

And with the next PAE patch all Eurasia XL, XXL and XXXL maps will get an update again. A few little changes in resources/territory and most important the gamespeeds. I'm still playing around with the years/turn and the research/train values...

8. Manarch

Manarch Chieftain

Hello everyone

I took a lot of notes during my last game, but was procrastinating sharing them due to two factors : first, I’m still under patch 6.5.2 while patches are racing ahead ; second, I haven’t finished this game.
    But Manarch, I hear you saying, How are you taking so long to finish a single game ? Are you micromanaging your units or what ?
    Spoiler :

That being said, i’ll put my outdated observations at the end of this post, to read at your leasure.

But first, I got on with finally writing this because it may not be too late to report on Eurasia XXL gamespeed (not that I could finish a single game anyway, AI turns tend to last 0.25h, without mentioning how much time my own turns take.)

So I began my first game under Immortal difficulty, let’s g-

...I got clapped squarely. Nevermind, second try, with the following growth rates

Spoiler :

<Type>GAMESPEED_EURASIA_XXL</Type><Description>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_EURASIA_XXL</Description><Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_EURASIA_XXL_HELP</Help><iGrowthPercent>200</iGrowthPercent><iTrainPercent>220</iTrainPercent><iConstructPercent>220</iConstructPercent><iCreatePercent>180</iCreatePercent><iResearchPercent>220</iResearchPercent><iBuildPercent>200</iBuildPercent><iImprovementPercent>180</iImprovementPercent><iGreatPeoplePercent>180</iGreatPeoplePercent><iCulturePercent>200</iCulturePercent><iAnarchyPercent>100</iAnarchyPercent><iBarbPercent>250</iBarbPercent><iFeatureProductionPercent>160</iFeatureProductionPercent><iUnitDiscoverPercent>180</iUnitDiscoverPercent><iUnitHurryPercent>160</iUnitHurryPercent><iUnitTradePercent>120</iUnitTradePercent><iUnitGreatWorkPercent>160</iUnitGreatWorkPercent><iGoldenAgePercent>160</iGoldenAgePercent><iHurryPercent>66</iHurryPercent><iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>180</iHurryConscriptAngerPercent><iInflationPercent>10</iInflationPercent><iInflationOffset>-660</iInflationOffset><iVictoryDelayPercent>150</iVictoryDelayPercent>

<!-- 25 Jahre: -6000 bis -5000 -->

<!-- 12 Jahre: -5000 bis -2000 -->

<!-- 6 Jahre: -2000 bis -500 -->

<!-- 3 Jahre: -500 bis -200 -->

<!-- 2 Jahr: -200 bis 0 -->

<!-- 1 Jahre: 0 bis 30 -->

<!-- 1 Jahr: 30 bis 380 -->

<!-- 2 Jahre: 380 bis 500 -->

<!-- 1180 Runden -->

<GameTurnInfos><GameTurnInfo><iMonthIncrement>300</iMonthIncrement><iTurnsPerIncrement>40</iTurnsPerIncrement></GameTurnInfo><GameTurnInfo><iMonthIncrement>144</iMonthIncrement><iTurnsPerIncrement>250</iTurnsPerIncrement></GameTurnInfo><GameTurnInfo><iMonthIncrement>72</iMonthIncrement><iTurnsPerIncrement>250</iTurnsPerIncrement></GameTurnInfo><GameTurnInfo><iMonthIncrement>36</iMonthIncrement><iTurnsPerIncrement>100</iTurnsPerIncrement></GameTurnInfo><GameTurnInfo><iMonthIncrement>24</iMonthIncrement><iTurnsPerIncrement>100</iTurnsPerIncrement></GameTurnInfo><GameTurnInfo><iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement><iTurnsPerIncrement>30</iTurnsPerIncrement></GameTurnInfo><GameTurnInfo><iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement><iTurnsPerIncrement>350</iTurnsPerIncrement></GameTurnInfo><GameTurnInfo><iMonthIncrement>24</iMonthIncrement><iTurnsPerIncrement>60</iTurnsPerIncrement>

I don’t remember exactly what it was about, but I think the idea was to strike a balance between longer research times which favorise the most tech. savy civilizations and less turns in the game in order to... for whatever reasons, maybe limit snowballing for those civs thanks to the techs automatically granted to the AI and/or sparing my cpu capacity which can’t handle very long games, while offsetting a little but not too much the research bonus for AI at this difficulty.

Results are that we were all very late and that Christianity was way too early tech-wise.

I fished a few landmarks from my screenshots :
    Spoiler :

Turn 384 - Lettered Writing- 1436 BC
    Turn 473 – Iron age – 1292 BC
    Turn 599 – Alphabet – 323 BC
    Turn 613 – Construction – 281 BC
    Turn 634 – Coinage – 218 BC
    Turn 658 – Book of laws – 164 BC
    Turn 689 – Library – 102 BC
    Turn 727 – Warriors Ethos – 26 BC
    Turn 751 – Architecture and Aristocraty (conquest) - 1

I remember barely reaching the -600 BC research mark at year 0, so I was halfway to the game in terms of number of turn, but in the quarter or third of techs researched. I believe that’s because I’m traumatized by the earlier patches where reaching late game techs was a really bad thing, but I should revise my judgment on that, it’s better now.

As for the rest, units, growth, turn times all seems ok to me at this difficulty.

Spoiler Now the fun part : :

-\ Got an instance of a unit under my banner being controled by an enemy AI, as in it no longer had movement points during my turn, but the AI could move them during their turn. It was still considered one of mine. (spoiler: it died quickly since the AI pulled it toward its units and killed it)

-\ Upon surrendering a city, garrison units flee instead of surrendering as advertised by the civi, or rather they get duplicated, one staying in the city, the other same fleeing.

-\ Sometimes bombarding with archer doesn’t cost money.

-\ Sometimes granaries and other structures giving food bonus upon city growth don’t seem to have an effect (unsure about it, it may just be when the building is completed in the same turn as the city grows)

-\ Ancient Observatory were still in use after their supposed obsolescence.

-\ Cities were asking for Exclusivism civic very early in the game.

-\ Lookout promotion may persist in some units passing over a forteress tile, didn’t understand when exactly.

-\ An enemy bireme had access to Parthian shot formation, far earlier than the tech was ever researched.

-\ Temple of victory no longer appear automatically in the lapse of time between Construction and Warriors Ethos. I got more Victory stele instead.

-\ Hanging Gardens need acquaduct in order to be built, but acquaduct isn’t available to the civs who can build the Hanging Gardens.

-\ I know it’s excess work, but techs reserved to civs lack the info of which civs can research them.

-\ Compositebowman recquires Iron or Bronze while Recurvebowman only recquires Iron or Copper

-\ Althought I get why, some units like Mounted scout don’t have access to all terrain promotion.

-\ Burnt forests invalidate the Marib’s dam food bonus

-\ Fishing ships can get the promotion Cargo. It’s not a problem, but I just found that funny and thought of the whacky applications it can have.

Spoiler I also have some questions/requests : :

-\ Would it be possible to implement a way to toggle the personnalized signs (those added with alt-S) in the same way the ressource signs are or aren’t displayed ?

-\ Stranded goods are a bit too useful, I wouldn’t be opposed to having only a chance to find gold cart in it, and not everytime.

-\ I understand historically why, but only two Wonders out of all of them don’t have a 100% chance to be conquered. It’s quite inconsistent.

-\ What are the conditions for recruiting mercenary ships ? I don’t get what is the ok-signal, being neither researching the tech or having a large city or anything I manage to identify.

-\ I find strange that vineward doesn’t negate forest tiles

-\ It would be well to limit the number of time partisan units and spoils like immigrants and gold carts can spawn in a limited amount of turn when a city is being disputed, as the mechanism can be abused by playing back and forth, it suffices to let the Ai partisan recapture the city each time.

Example :

Conquest 1 Turn 305

Conquest 2 Turn 306, partisan axeman quite useful

Conquest 3 Turn 308, Total earned --> 3 emigrants, 6 gold carts, 2 partisan axemen, 1 freed amazon

To conclude, lot of fun things happened during these games, which I may relate one day.

To mention some of it, I liked :

- the AI move of sending mercenary ships on my coasts before I had the capacity to produce a single ship.

- trying to subdue a civ who had nothing left but villages hidden in the mountain. Frustrating and stress generating on my war plans, but I roleplayingly accept it.

Spoiler Wrong time period. Warning: french :

- going –without scouting ahead- into a foray into my biggest enemy territory in order to find a small city to capture to intimidate its vassals and coming face to face with one of its biggest city --> catastrophic retreat
    Spoiler :

- going –without scouting ahead- into a pillaging raid which goes unexpectadly well, sacking a city, sending reinforcement to cover retreat, being blocked twice by unending mountain range
    Spoiler :

- Being unashamedly extorted by Cleopatra -gant ar vezh ! i accepted of course, it’s not-free relation point
    Spoiler :

- Beholding the cursed fort, unsuable, unused for hundreds of years.
    Spoiler :

Ha, I believe I saw discussion about uping Hunter strenght to 4 at some point. I’m not sure it would be a good thing, on the conditions of Eurasia XXL, my hunters with Guerilla already picked half a dozen or so isolated cities with their 3 strength.

Be well !

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  9. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Chieftain

Well, I'm trying to optimize the Eurasia XL, XXL, and XXXL maps für difficulty King (or is it Monarch in English?) so that the AI gets Christianity at around year 1 on that level.
    When you play higher levels, esp. immortal obviously, the AI will reseach much faster and therefore will be founding Christianity earlier...

If you only play immortal I would suggest to raise the values in the gamespeed yourself to you likings...

[EDIT] turn times will be faster with the new patch! There was a bug with tradewagons not finding a target for their trade route. And a few other things Pie corrected in Python...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  10. Manarch

Manarch Chieftain

Well no problem lol, I'm just fiddling blindly with gamespeeds.
    In this case, the number of turns was way off and nobody reached the tech for Christianity, it got founded automatically at year 1.

[EDIT] Oh good to hear that, ty

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  11. westinator

westinator Chieftain

-\ Cities were asking for Exclusivism civic very early in the game.

Egypt builds an early wonder and gets all religion civics, and they adopt exclusivism. annoyingly, they often are in tech lead and found cosmogony, which they don't spread outside their civ much less inside, so the great library never gets built

-\ Sometimes bombarding with archer doesn’t cost money.

bombarding with slingers doesn't cost money, which might make sense? but it's very helpful early game. I don't know if this is what you noticed - if not, which archers are free to fire? :)

unrelatedly, Cretan archers don't have a cap on bombardment damage - I think all other ranged units can only go to 40%-70% health before they do 0 damage, but Cretan archers can kill with bombardment

-\ What are the conditions for recruiting mercenary ships ? I don’t get what is the ok-signal, being neither researching the tech or having a large city or anything I manage to identify.

I believe, as with all mercenary units, the requirement is that some player somewhere has to have researched the tech.

rare, fun thing that happened to me: attacked a great philosopher with infantry, captured him but also "enemy has defected and joined you" happened so I got two great philosphers

this reminds me that whenever a great philosopher is captured, his name changes, which leads to funny sequences in the event log: "you have captured Pythagoras" "the enemy has captured your Archimedes" "You have captured Apollodorus" etc

12. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Chieftain

But Slingers cost more gold per turn. So they actually are more expensive than Archers! They just don't need money to shoot...
    In early game you might be right, because you have a bunch of free units.

13. philipschall

philipschall Warlord

As a Celtic civ, is there a way to get Roman or Greek Knowledge?

14. westinator

westinator Chieftain

you can't research it, and it's not capturable, so... you could add it in worldbuilder

suggestion: I think it would be cool if my (Rome) vassals could access Roman techs and build Legions

15. westinator

westinator Chieftain

upload_2021-4-14_17-4-8.png
    wat

can this happen on ships with a cargo of soldiers, or only empty ships?

and my 50-experience quinquireme turned into a barbarian penteconter hmm

16. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

oh... this can happen to every ship (with or without cargo) that is alone on a water plot. It can't happen to ships, with at least one loyal unit in cargo (loyalty promotion).
    But: thx, I will adapt this event so that the Barbarian player gets the correct ship!

17. westinator

westinator Chieftain

this game is going well, turns are long, egypt is almost 1000 points ahead of everyone else, etc etc...
    upload_2021-4-16_17-11-39.png

The AI has no better idea what to do with all its great generals than I do

Attached Files:

18. sotvu

sotvu Chieftain

Hi everyone. I love this mod so much, spent a lot of hours in it.

I think it is a bug, but not sure. I can't get Electrum from Foreign Trading Post.
    The story of this Post: I made it there and then move a defender from that tile to another place, in few turns the post became neutral(don't know why, maybe the animals step on it). And after I recaptured it, everything seemed like it is mine again(cultural borders) but I do not have this resource. I am sure it is connected to the capital and I am not trading it.

Mod version 6.9, I can send the save file if you cant reproduce the bug.

Attached Files:

• elec.jpg
      elec.jpg
      File size:
      685.1 KB
      Views:
  19. westinator

westinator Chieftain

there is (used to be?) a tech which makes electrum obsolete, maybe you've reached it

I've noticed the bug where external posts go neutral for a turn or two, but they always come back

20. sotvu

sotvu Chieftain

Oh yes you are right, it has been obsoleted, thanks.