Pie's Ancient Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Feb 5, 2010.

1. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient

You're completely right ;)

ok :egypt:

Why didn't you download and try 6.11 from this forum (download thread)? (backup your projects for safety)

Great! Yes, share it with us and if everything works fine, it can be part of PAE. First of all, you could create an own thread for your scenario(s) in the Civ4 - Ancient Europe main thread. so you can update your changed files in the first post, discuss with other players and list your updates.

for WB saves, you don't need to upload as rar/zip. when you click the "upload a file" button, you see all allowed files.

Ah, and you are very, very welcome, happy to see a new scripter! And I hope you have the same fun to play and develop PAE as I do ;)
    I don't know, if you're allowed to create threads as you only have one post in this forum. tell me and I create one for you, otherwise just post some words, make a story of your scenario (!) and then create your own subthread in the PAE sub forum.

LuciusJunius likes this.
  2. pie_at

So, you've changed your mind almost completely :shifty:

Sheep, Cow, Pig, Walrus, Horse: no health bonus: ok -> cured meat
    Elephant: no health, no meat (eating elephants was forbidden in lots of religions)

About walrus: in most cases you get this only via trading post (tundra, ice landscape). so, there should be a bonus that can be used without cities. that's happiness or health. I'd prefer happiness then (ivory).

yes

this is not possible in CIV.

clear

Your last thoughts are really good thinking! It's better to have some gold in the early times and later on it hardly matters.

Why not choose a difference between those three bonuses like that:
    Pig (+1 food, +2 food with pasture)
    Cow (+1 food, +1 food + 1 prod with pasture):
    Sheep (+1 food, +2 commerce with pasture)

on a grass plot (2 food in general) and pasture it looks like that:
    Pig: 5 food (5 in sum)
    Cow: 4 food + 1 prod (5 in sum)
    Sheep: 3 food + 2 commerce (5 in sum)

that's not correct. in bellum gallicum it is described, that it was not possible to cultivate the Urus.

then it counts for every pasture

Ok

no, it was Veterinary Medicine that was "invented" at this time. It was part of a medical history book.

In India (Euasian maps) you need the same alternative possibilites to grain (for balance reasons too).

3. Antigenes2

Antigenes2 Warlord

Hi Pie, sometimes on a map you might get a bonus resource appear at random (e.g. silver on a hill). but it doesn't always happen. What actually governs this? Is it set somewhere in the WB file, or somewhere in python?

4. pie_at

This is in XML.
    Terrain/ImprovementInfos.xml -> IMPROVEMENT_QUARRY -> iDiscoverRand (for each bonus different)

5. Gardarel

Gardarel Chieftain

I could respond to every topic again but I think you are losing interest anyway. Let me know if you want to continue.

6. pie_at

no, you don't need to.
    you've triggered the following:

I'll add some buildings, I'll add some new resources.
    I'll let you distribute clams and crabs.
    I'll let you distribute bananas.
    I'll let you distribute every cattle and grain resource 1x per city.
    I'll change the health bonus of cow, pig, walrus, horse, sheep and add cured meat.
    I'll change the health bonus of fish and add cured fish
    I'll add a papyrus boat (and the second one) for Lucius
    I'll add a chance for the appearence of elephants on camps
    I'll change animal spawning and moving

that will be a very nice 6.12 patch, I think ;)

LuciusJunius likes this.
  7. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Warlord

WOW! Cool!

You should also mention that in the German forum. Interesting things coming!

8. Antigenes2

Antigenes2 Warlord

9. pie_at

10. Cat Whisperer

Cat Whisperer Chieftain

I cannot get trade roads to build in new update. I have sent dozens of caravans to the Gaul capital to sell goods and only one road was built in the Gaul capital hex. I loaded and reloaded to see if I could try to get an additional road to be built to no avail.

11. pie_at

The roads appear plot per plot each successful update. the more you trade the more plots get paved trade roads. try to trade more valuable things (40-50 gold) and the chance a plot between your trading cities getting a road is higher.

12. Wwolin

Wwolin Chieftain

Is there anything (other than distance from the capital just being too far for sea routes) that would prevent it from happening? I had a game last week where I was trading gold for silver with a neighbor and (as expected) got trade roads between cities fairly quickly. I had another one today where I spent the whole game trading Silphium with a neighbor for Amber, and didn't get a single road over the 500 or so turns the trade was going on. It was sea-trade, but none of my trade cities were more than 8 tiles from my capital, so it seems like there definitely should have been some road spawns.

13. pie_at

it also depends if a trade partner already has the resource or not. it pushes the chance by 20%.
    I will increase the general chance by 10%, so that it would be easier to get those trade roads in future versions.

14. Wwolin

Wwolin Chieftain

I don't think it was a probability issue though. Looking at the code for trade roads, it seems like when trading rarities like silphium and amber, it should be an extra 20% chance for a trade road to form, which is more than enough to offset the penalty for already having the resource. I was doing three trades every two turns thanks to how short the route was, so it seems like with a 10% chance for a road to form, I definitely should have gotten at least one in the 500 turns this trade was going on for.

To replicate it yourself, pick the Cyrenians on LuciusJunius' Iron Age Mid East scenario. You'll have access to silphium, and directly across the sea to your north is a civ with amber. Since you're Greek, you can get your trade ships in the bronze age, but no matter how much you trade, your cities won't ever form any trade routes to the capital.

15. pie_at

k, I'll test that

16. Cat Whisperer

Cat Whisperer Chieftain

To clarify on my previous post regarding trade roads, the one and only trade road that was built in the Gaul capital occurred when I sold a gold cart from a captured barbarian city there. In the most recent update, I never was able to get a trade road from camel and regular trade caravans. Prior to the last update, I could trade gold and silver in the Gaul capital and buy lead for the return trip which had about a 1 in 4 chance of getting a trade road.

17. Ameranth

Ameranth Chieftain

I'm no modder like Pie but I think there's a way it could be done. Have The Plow obsolete Farm (FARM) and enable an improvement also named Farm (FARM2) that is completely identical but with half the time to build.

There's a way to do that in Civ5, which I'm hoping could possibly be adapted for 4. Wiser heads than mine will know if this is possible.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-obsolete-solved-thanks-to-mr-whoward.667117/

The only way I see to have it require livestock would be to have The Plow be a dead end tech branching off Agriculture that requires Cow/Horse to research. This could be by initially disabling the tech but have an event that enables it the first time either resource is obtained. The event could also just grant the tech outright instead of enabling it.

18. pie_at

Improvements in CIV 4 can't get obsolete.
    And improvements can't be mixed with bonuses.
    Besides, I think it doesn't really stops game fun. It' ok that farms bring more food per turn with the tech (no matter if Arnold Schwarzenegger uses the plow like Conan or a horse).
    :D