Pie's Ancient Europe

cool.sound: Yes, that's true, they need a lot of work, if you want to add all PAE resources into the maps manually.

But you can add randomize bonuses into the maps, if you want to just play them instead of making them historical accurate:

use a txt editor and look if this line is in the BeginMap paragraph:

BeginMap
Randomize Resources=true
EndMap

Otherwise:
1) to keep the maps empty (without CIVs): just play DUEL. so you can delete only two CIVs before saving as a scenario.
2) look at the European maps PAE has included and place the bonuses like them. They are all historical accurate. Even the grain resources.

for all map changes use the ingame WorldBuilder (WB).

left click: add a terrain/feature/unit/improvement
right click: delete a terrain/...

I really like the EuropeXL map, but I always found it "empty".
Now with the .ddl that support 40 civs I can make a EuropeXL scenario with 3 Gauls , 3 Germans, Iberians, East Europe civs with different leaders.
The only drawback is that doing this I will not be able to change leaders when I want, but it's a small price to pay.:lol:

I've a minor problem. I modified via WorldBuilder the EuropeXL map, putting the cities where I want, giving some other units at the beginning, some geography changes, ect.

The problem is that when I play my custom scenario all the civs' units are not where I put them during the creation (using WB). They instead are in the "vanilla" PAE starting location.

Thorik:
use your text editor or WB: go to X=0,Y=0 and remove the line "ScriptData=EuropeXL".
This line causes the replacing of Civs and units to their position given in the Misc/StartingPoints.xml.
sorry, I forgot to mention that before.

Thorik:
use your text editor or WB: go to X=0,Y=0 and remove the line "ScriptData=EuropeXL".
This line causes the replacing of Civs and units to their position given in the Misc/StartingPoints.xml.
sorry, I forgot to mention that before.

Thanks. I knew where was some line to delete, but I wasn't able to find it:king:

I took the LargeEurope map and put on 40Civs with multiple Gauls, Celts, Iberians and Germanic tribes as well as 3 greek (greek, minoan, trojan) civs.
I upload it here if someone wants to play it or just gives advices to improve it.

Attachments

• EuropeLarge40Civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    601.1 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for creating this fantastic mod. It got me back into CIV IV again.

The time between turns on a large map can get quite long later in the game. Does anyone know what the bottleneck is? My system is far above the minimum requirements in terms of RAM, CPU, graphics card, etc.

I am not using the highest graphics settings and I used the options to turn off things like display enemy moves and so forth.

I am about to buy a new laptop and was wondering what, if anything, would help the most to speed things up. For example, if I go above 8 GB RAM or install the game on an SSD instead of an HD or spend the extra money for a faster i7 chip, what would make the most difference?

The time between turns on a large map can get quite long later in the game. Does anyone know what the bottleneck is? My system is far above the minimum requirements in terms of RAM, CPU, graphics card, etc.

I am not using the highest graphics settings and I used the options to turn off things like display enemy moves and so forth.

I am about to buy a new laptop and was wondering what, if anything, would help the most to speed things up. For example, if I go above 8 GB RAM or install the game on an SSD instead of an HD or spend the extra money for a faster i7 chip, what would make the most difference?

CiV 4 is just old software. The exe was released in 2005. So even though laptops have improved the game is technically frozen in time. You could also ask for more advice in the Technical Support forum. My advice beyond that is to not linger in game and try to have victory before too many units are built up. Smaller maps also use fewer resources in game. Hope that helps. Other players might be able to offer different advice .. Good luck !

An SSD on C: would probably bring the biggest general performance boost, though how much it would help this game is anyone's guess until someone tries it. Not all maps are the same. Turn times on the huge Eastern Mediterraneum map, for instance, are considerably faster than XL or 18Civs+barbs. Playing with fewer Civs would certainly help.

Turn times on the huge Eastern Mediterraneum map, for instance, are considerably faster than XL or 18Civs+barbs. Playing with fewer Civs would certainly help.
Noticed that, too. One reason could be, that there are lots of water tiles on this map. If all of these water tiles were land, hundreds of cities more would have to be processed each turn. On this map, no huge stacks wander around in multisided complex coalition wars to the outerlast angle of the map. (And it's a beautiful map, anyway! Recommend!)

LDC: no clue. really.
I don't use SorenRand in any of the other modded python files.

But I am curious: in which state is the game: Your latest tech? Your current era?

Hi Pie,

the state of the game is the absolute beginning, directly after the first city has been placed, a tech chosen and soldiers sent out to explore.

Best regards,
LDC

ok, so, it's really a problem that you have two different versions. yes, it sounds weird: although you copied the files, it doesn't work. Imp. Knoedel had almost the same problem too. I think, when he reinstalled BTS, it worked then.

Maybe one of your PCs installed Marble, BUG or another mod which seems to replaces some original files.

hey it will be a while longer

:( my computer died

pulled out an ooooold IBM thinkpad like 15 years old

:( should have a new comp in a couple of weeks.

anyone is welcome to use or tweak those maps

Imp. Knoedel had almost the same problem too. I think, when he reinstalled BTS, it worked then.

Actually I only reinstalled your mod.

I had a strange thing happen in the middle of a game. Suddenly, all units and city labels disappeared. The units and cities were there but I just couldn't see them. I can still move them and fight against (invisible) enemy units, but couldn't see them. It does make for quite a lot of frustrating difficulty in play. What could have caused this and how do I fix it?

First: as I've said before, great mod!

Now my suggestions/objections :)

I get that you want to a Dark Age to hit at the end of the tech tree. Ok. Heresy accomplishes this in spades. OUCH, Heresy hurts. But then you've turned "future tech" into dark age techs with -1 health per. Some decline is one thing. Unstoppable, never-ending decline is just soul crushing. Ugh. I've got a game going wherein things were just getting really cool and then that hit. I'd suggest either: 1) making "dark age" tech do nothing at all; or 2) have some Dark Age tech do nasty things all at once and then put in more techs that let you climb (somewhat) back out of the hole.

Secondly, I love how the XL map* allows the use of tons of different leaders. Is there any way to have different leaders on the other maps? I love the 17 civs + barbs large map, but it locks you into a crappy (IMO) Roman leader. I'd love to play that map as, say, Vespasian. Or Claudius.

* which I did modify slightly (I moved the tundra line north somewhat, giving the Scythians a larger area to expand into. Which they did, becoming quite the barbarian horde. Which was cool. I also may have boosted Rome just a little itty bit. ;)

Hi Arrian,

while Pie is on a holiday in the land of the Illyrians, let me quickly answer your leader question. You can fully customize the leaders. If you go Single Player, Own Scenario (or what it's called in the English interface, the furthest bottom item), you get to choose between all the Roman leaders. Not all scenario maps are set up for this fully free customizing, but I think the one you're talking about is.

As far as heresy and dark ages: one underdeveloped area of PAE yet. Recently, there was a discussion on the German forum, whether there should be introduced a Christian victory as another way of winning.

There are plans to devote one of the civics of the governmental branch of the civics table to Christianity, too. And there should definitely be more techs, eventually, positive and negative, to make late antiquity fun to play.

Top Bottom