1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Piffle – Official Embassy

Discussion in 'Team Epsilon' started by General_W, Jul 29, 2006.

1. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

Piffle Embassy

Last Update: Turn 109

Team Piffle
    Leader: Pifflenatress
    Civ: Elizabeth, England
    Traits: Philosophical, Financial
    UU: Redcoat

Here are the First letters we received from Piffle:
    Spoiler :

Here’s the first letter I’m proposing to send. I’ll leave this here for at least 4 hours for comment before I send it off.
    EDIT: Sent to Whomp, Koondrad(turn player), Tubby Rower (UN rep), and their team e-mail.

Current Tech Plan:
    Spoiler :

Epsilon Gives:
    1. Scientific Method (2400)
    2. Communism (2800)
    3. Constitution (2000)
    4. Biology (3600)
    5. Corporation (1600)
    6. Assembly Line (5000)
    = 17,400 total

Piffle Gives:
    1. Steam Power (3200)
    2. Physics (4000) + keep Great Scientist
    3. Railroad (4500)
    4. Electricity (4500)
    = 16,200 total

2. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

I like the letter and have no suggested revisions - just wanted to get a "yes" vote in.

3. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Very good

Things to keep in mind now:

They will know we have writing if they don't (option for open borders)

They know we only have one city (thier second one is called hamburger, in the diplomacy screen)

With our peace letter they may ask for open borders, the problem with this is in roughly 5~10 turns they will see the outside of our capital and we will not know where theirs is, I don't think we should grant this until we can also explore their homeland :)

4. General_W

I agree – no point in signing an open borders agreement at this point. And I’ll start using the diplomacy screen to gather more info on our rivals.

Just received this from Whomp at Piffle….
    He’s referencing some of the dealings we’ve had with each other from the Civ3 MTDG. Although I’m just the Domestic Minister over there – so I don’t believe I have any “baggage” with Whomp that will hurt Epsilon Team.

Here’s the response I sent…

5. General_W

This just in from the Piffles…

What should we say?
    Please discuss.

6. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Well I think we should say yes.

But game mechanically speaking, it will be tought to do because you can't negotiate technologies before, since we can't talk about that....

Ideally we want to have them research it and have us trade CoL for it and other minor techs they may have (hunting / fishing for example)

7. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Yes, we are interested! It would be helpful if Piffle clarified their proposal to say who is going to research Alphabet.

Of course we would prefer that they research Alphabet, but we don't want to tell them that until we have to. ;)

There is no ban on discussing techs before Alphabet.

8. General_W

Ok – here's a draft response.

I'll leave this up for at least 24 hours for comment before sending.
    (Longer if we have a lot of edits)

We could consider adding a phrase about "our current research doesn’t exactly take us in the right direction to get Alphabet – perhaps you could take this route, and we could then offer knowledge from other fields?"

That of course tips our hand a bit – but we're going to have to give out some info at some point if we're going to make a deal happen.

Comments?

9. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Well that is great !

My understanding was that we could not talk about who had what tech because we didn't have the alphabet yet.

BTW this brigns up another good question, can we try to extract what wonders and such they are building? (I.E. not that we are buildingthe parthenon, but find out that they are?)

10. General_W

No further comments on adding a line about us not wanting to research Alphabet?

11. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Well at this point don't say we don't want to, but try to extract how they would like to do it. If they volounteer (To research it) ...then we should be a tad argumentative but in the end agree (stating that ultimately we are putting alot of trust in them)

Also make sure in no way shape or form we give away any tech that we have reasearched, if anything mislead them to the top half of the tree (incase they have met king kong and are trying to find out if we have priesthood ;) )

Either way by the tiem they have alphabet we will have CS :goodjob:

12. General_W

ok - understood and agreed.

Message sent back to Whomp.

13. General_W

Just heard back from Piffle...

Well - since we already have Writing, we either need to clear that up for them - or volunteer for the Aphabet route.

Thoughts?

14. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Alphabet sounds like the best tech for us. In addition to being closer, it also blocks them from getting Writing until they finish Metal Casting.

I am always paranoid that someone will do the Metal Casting slingshot, but it probably won't be Piffle. It would take a very flexible team to prebuild the Oracle without knowing whether they want Metal Casting or Code of Laws from it. And starting the Oracle now will be too late to beat us.

15. General_W

I agree totally Mr. President.

How's this for a draft response:
    (as always, at least 24 hours for comment before I send it)

16. lost_civantares

lost_civantares [Insert Title]

Any thoughts for the gold too? Or are we going to let them make it a matter for debate?

17. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Yeah I definetly Agree taking the Alpha route for us is the better one not to mention if things go sour (all though how could they at this point??) we would still be able to trade with other neighbours, while they would be stuck.

Actually I just thought of this as well:

if we meet someone else we have 1 turn on Piffle to trade with them, (before piffle has a chance ;) )

Finally I think it may be wise to convey our wish to finish our current technology, and then to begin on the Writing Alphabet path (if they try to time it we can say we are starting writing in 10 turns ;)...although if they have a half a head on their shoulders they should be able to see that we already have writing (open borders) ;) In any event I say we offer open borders in 10~15ish turns to show our act of good faith on the way to Alphabet :)

18. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

When can we expect to have Alphabet, given that we will finish CoL and revolt to bureaucracy first?

We can point out that gold will be available with currency, so they can either wait for it or include 30:science: in a later tech deal.

And I disagree with open borders, it is only useful when we have a trade route or a unit in their territory. They already have a big advantage by exploring us first, no need to make it bigger.

19. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

in principle, the tech trade sounds fair. But that would mean we're stuck researching Alphabet next, right? I have to admit I'm not sure exactly which techs we know already and which we still lack...I think we don't need to research anything else to be able to do something useful for the next X turns, but I just wanted to point that out.

Regarding open borders...I'm against that, at least so early. Let's meet some more teams first before giving away access to our lands and too much information. Who knows, maybe we'll decide to do a CKN rush and Piffle might be a good target...another reason is that our cities are defended extremely lightly (and probably will be for some time to come - warriors don't count in my view), and I'd prefer not to give that away.

-Kylearan

20. General_W

I am also opposed to open borders at this time.
    Until we have a potential trade route, there's no reason to even seriously consider it.

I'm assuming the lack of comment about the peace treaty means that people are pretty open to formalizing our current state of peace. (any disagree?)

I'm adding a line about when we'll start research – and I'm keeping it vague. Judging from the wording of their letters, it appears they don't know we already have writing. :clap:

Also – I've added a section about the gold. I don't think they'll have a problem with it.

Here's the reworked version:
    EDIT: SENT! :salute: