1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Piggybacking" a hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Turner, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Does anyone know if it's possible to get spare mounts so that I can 'piggyback' a hard drive? I've got a friend who wants to mount to hard drives in a computer with one internal drive bay. Or could I use a 5 1/4" bay and get the adapter to make it a 3 1/2"?

2. CrackedCrystal

CrackedCrystal Where am I?

3. Turner

Thanks. That look interesting, might be what she's looking for.

4. CrackedCrystal

Removable trays are a little more expensive, but I like them. I have a computer I switch between Linux and Windows by just swapping hard drives. It works well (but your BIOS needs to be able to autodetect hard drives). No need to worry about them interfering with each other, or taking up hard drive space from each other.

I could not find rails for sale on newegg, but they would be cheaper (about $6-$8). You can get them at any computer store.

5. Turner

I think rails are the way to go. There's an open 5 1/4" bay, I may find an adapter for that. I looked in the computer a while ago, but I don't remember if it has the cabling for something like that. But rails right underneath shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

Thanks for your help.

6. CrackedCrystal

No problem, it sounds to me that is probabl the right choice. I founds some online for sale (link below), but for that price, I would just drive to a computer shop. You'll spend more on shipping than you save.

http://www.geishapc.com/harddriverails.html

7. JoeP

JoeP Chieftain

it doesn't matter, really. as long as the hdd doesn't move, it'll operate upsidedown, on, it's side, inside-out...scratch that last one.

8. CruddyLeper

CruddyLeper Unworshipped Deity

Not a good idea to let a hard drive run at an angle. If the heads have a changing velocity, it can mess them up over the long term. Stick to vertical or - best - standard horizontal.

As for mounting, I use plastic 5.25 inch trays designed to put 3.5 inch floppy drives into the bigger size. OK, they have a hole at the front, but that's easily fixed with a standard blanking plate... and plastic trays are very, very cheap.