1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pikeman steals city

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Eldaberry, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Eldaberry

Eldaberry Chieftain

Just thought this was pretty funny, I was playing a game and i got 2 ruins in a row that upgraded my warrior to a pikeman, Then i saw Paris right next to the ruin so i thought i would try and grab it, this was like turn 10. With my other warriors assistance i managed to get it and eliminated France by turn 13.

:goodjob:

2. sleepingbear

sleepingbear Chieftain

Ruins need to be patched so they can only upgrade a particular unit once ;) If the unit gets it a second time they should get 15-20 xp instead. There was a post a while back were someone managed to get mech infantry during the classic era.:eek:

3. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

I think it is more that the 'upgrade' option shouldn't let you upgrade to an era you aren't in. I don't mind if in 1800 my rifleman gets upgraded to Infantry. But seriously, in 3000 BC, where the heck are you even FINDING a rifle?

4. princessleila

princessleila Chieftain

you mean a giant death robot ?

5. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Chieftain

At that rate, same thing. The best I've done is a lone tank among my knights. :p

SilverKnight

6. pickle

pickle Lord of the Preserves

i have only ever had warrior to spear, seem to get it about once a game

7. Rathelon

Rathelon Chieftain

I love getting the archers with scout mobility. I get lots of the archers and spearmen early in the game, and I recall getting a tank from a cavalry in one game exploring tiny islands later in the game. I think I only ever got a double upgrade once - warrior to spearmen, and later to pikemen.

8. Aldor

Aldor Chieftain

Scout -> Archer -> Crossbow is also damn nice. Used such one to defeat china in a game :)

9. Soronery

Soronery Chieftain

I had a crossbow once but I couldn't use it. My city was stuck in 20 turns of mountains and forest. I just reroll now if I get that type of start, I hate trying to play it as it is near impossible to be aggressive (and you just get out teched to hell if you don't fight).

10. Rathelon

Rathelon Chieftain

I might have gotten one of those once. I dont seem to get double upgrades very often, because the ruins go pretty fast.

11. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

When I was trying to get the Huge Map achievement, I set the game up to be just me and one other civ, because of how laggy the game gets for me on the Large and Huge maps. It gets so bad I rarely get to finish the game because of crashes from all the units.

In that game I had 1 scout upgrade all the way to Mech Infantry in the ancient era from all the huts. It made the scouting go a lot faster, but I didn't use it to attack until I could actually build MIs.

12. MadmanAtW

MadmanAtW Knight

Does the AI actually get them more often with the new patch? In the 1.0.0.20 version I would frequently find ruins adjacent to AI culture that they never bothered getting.

13. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I got

Scout>Archer>English Longbow>Rifle>Infantry

14. Cuba Libre

Cuba Libre Chieftain

I got my Horseman up to Modern Armor on a Huge Archipelago map. Just sailing around picking up isolated ruins that the AI couldn't be bothered to grab. Ended up using him for one-shot Medieval city kills.

15. Goodenuf

Goodenuf Chieftain

I had my horseman make his way up to a tank in the early game. Of course since I had not yet discovered Oil, his strength was cut in half. Still dominated but it did take a significant amount of damage along the way from bombarding cities and the like. A few times I had to let him heal himself before moving onwards.

I would agree that this should be nerfed somewhat; I like the 20 XP idea if the upgrade would take you out of your current era. Still, it IS fun taking your tank into battle against spears and pikes.

16. Cuba Libre

Cuba Libre Chieftain

The Modern Armor was so powerful in that era that even with the strategic resource penalty and the city-attacking penalty it would STILL take out cities in one turn. Capitals too, sometimes in two turns.

17. sleepingbear

sleepingbear Chieftain

Until this happens-
    :spear:

18. dublos

dublos Chieftain

Are you sure you don't mean Mechanical Infantry? Modern Armor is *not* in the upgrade path so if anyone takes a scout to tank or scout to Modern armor, something is very much fubar.

19. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Chieftain

It's conceivable; Archer isn't on the Scout upgrade path (there isn't one), but you can still go scout - archer from ruins. Wouldn't be surprised to see cavalry - tank - modern armor.

20. Rathelon

Rathelon Chieftain

I can confirm cavalry will upgrade to tank. I've had one before.