Pillaging is awesome!

Jaroth

Warlord
Last night during my current Emperor game as England, Montezuma (my neighbor) called me out and said he noticed my units near his borders (which were only there for defense against this lunatic) and to stop hiding in the shadows like a child and fight him.

Well that kinda annoyed me, and against my gameplan, I chose the option that declares war on him, lol. I didn't care that he got his first shots on me, I just wanted to make him pay and to teach him not to talk to the queen that way.

Luckily I had lots of horses and already started producing horsemen. It was pretty much an archer, spearman, horseman war with some swordsmen. He chose to use a lot of jaguars though, which I learned were only an upgrade to lowly warriors.

Anyway, I only took a few scrub cities of his and razed them because I didn't like the location. But mostly, I pillaged him empire badly. :viking:

OMG... it is so satisfying in this game!! When you pillage their terrain you just don't just hear a quick thump sound and it disappears like in Civ 4. It gets a "damaged" graphic and black smoke rises up from it, as all of you probably know already. But when you go around pillaging multiple hexes, the visual effect is very awesome!

Once the war was over, and Montezuma begged for peace, I looked back at the devastation I caused and the black smoke rising up from everywhere and was just like, "WOW...".

Oh, and I also got some nice chunks of change from those pillaged hexes! It's very worthwhile. It helped me purchase settlers afterwards to occupy the empty territory.

Yeah it is cool :)

Citadel looks good when pillaged. I like that you repair improvements too, not re-build.

You made me laugh calling mont a lunatic haha

haha i do that too. im soo not prepared for war, but i cant help myself, they say something to me, or worst still, start expanding next to me and take gold and gems away from me. then ready or not here i come!
:)

my next game I plan to play as Askia and be a total warmonger. He gets the River Warlord stat which allows for TRIPLE the gold from pillaging! haha. sounds awesome :goodjob:

I got him on a random draw a couple of games ago. Pretty much financed my early game from barb camps at 75 each, then moved on to whatever civs/city states were next to me.... :devil:

So, yeah, good times!

I haven't pillaged a single hex yet. :blush: Is the payoff pretty decent?

My next game I may go for more of a scorched-earth policy than I have previously; given that puppeting is problematic in the long-term (but annexing only works if you do it very gradually or have an entire population hooked on Prozac), pillaging tiles and razing cities might be fun. :D

In my current game, Montezuma kept sending me groveling messages about how my empire is an inspiration to weak and humble leaders such as he, and that I will always stand as a paragon of greatness to lesser nations such as the Aztecs. It's always funny when an AI acts out of step with how you'd expect them to based on their leader character... but Respectful, Cowardly Montezuma is still no Warlord Gandhi, at least for my money. :lol:

When you pillage their terrain you just don't just hear a quick thump sound and it disappears like in Civ 4. It gets a "damaged" graphic and black smoke rises up from it, as all of you probably know already. But when you go around pillaging multiple hexes, the visual effect is very awesome!

Once the war was over, and Montezuma begged for peace, I looked back at the devastation I caused and the black smoke rising up from everywhere and was just like, "WOW...".

No pretty pictures for us?

After razing cities, I always like to pillage every hex with a improvement for the gold. I usually do this after the war, since I don't need the units at the front then, so they can wander around pillaging to give them something to do.

Yeah the pillaging system is awesome.

I had to giggle a little from your story when you mentioned that Monty was concerned about your units being close to his borders. This is one thing I hope they fix in a patch. Hopefully they make it so it actually means something that you have units on another empire's border. Right now, it is an empty message that has no effect on the game, diplomacy or relations what-so-ever.

Pillaging is something I really do like in Civ V. Units with speed 4 and 5 are deadly against that open terrain. You can pillage 2 tiles per turn.

And since you don't have stacks of workers to instantly fix a plot, pillaging can last for a bit.

Top Bottom