Pim Fortuyn has been shot!

Matrix

CFC Dinosaur
Retired Moderator
Pim Fortuyn is the front man of a new political party with very controversial ideas. Well, he has just been shot, most likely fatal. The elections are on may 15th.

I can't believe such a thing can happen here in the Netherlands. :eek: This is such a sad happening. :( I mean, Le Pen is still alive. Philip de Winter is still alive. And they all should be! But my point is: Pim Fortuyn wasn't that...ultra...don't know the English word, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, how does this fall for you, the non-Dutch?

Thats bad. I dont mourn him if he was some Fascist and am glad he's gone however shooting people is no way to combat right wing politics (despite what I may have suggested)

Seriously though ,on the political level i had a lot of problem's with some of his idea's ,but then again he didn't deserved this.

He was extreme right ,but from all the extreme right i noticed he was less ultra indeed ,les extreme...

Nobody deserve's to be murdered.(well maybe De Winter does need some punishment though)

RIP Pim Fortuyn, a good man with the right ideas
It is an evil crime by these despicable militant types, and they will be crushed by the vengeance of righteousness. Weren't these type of things not supposed to happen in happy Europe?

Just like the evil communists to show their true colours - protesting against democratic elections, and shooting those who disagree with them. They would get a bit of a suprise is they went for a non-soft target.

THIS WILL NOT STOP US!!

I just heard the news and went directly to Civfanatics to see it anyone had beaten me to start a thread about it. Apperently I was to late.

Anyhow. It is a horrible act and I feel sorry for the netherlands. I didn´t like Pim Fortuyns politics but he was still a human and no one deserves to be shot. It´s awful.

It´s also a threat against democracy, about 15% of the dutch population supported his party. I wonder what will happen now.

Things like that can happen in any country. It happened in my country in 1986 when prime minister Olof Palme was assasinated. No one belived that such things could happen here, but it did. I belive that the security is higher nowadays. But it wasn´t strange at all if the prime minister himself walked around as he wanted among "ordinary" people without any guards at all, like he did when he was assasinated.

Once again, Im sorry that such an act against democracy happened in the Netherlands, a country that I really like and have visited several times.

I think what happened here in Holland (not far from me) is very bad. I disgusted Pim Fortuyn for most of his ideas, but he did have the ability to show there is something wrong in Dutch politics. It's very bad that something like this can happen in a country like this...eliminate someone with ideas you don't like...sick.

Well Matrix, I think it a terrible crime that someone felt it important to kill another over ideas.

In the USA, we have, from time to time, had this kind of thing happen also, and I hate to see it.

Just like the evil communists to show their true colours - protesting against democratic elections, and shooting those who disagree with them. They would get a bit of a suprise is they went for a non-soft target.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a action performed by communist's ,actually i think ,and even fear ,that this was done by a desperate immigrant.As thus i fear that this even eventually may work in the advantage of extreme right ,although they lost with Fortuyn an important vote gatherer.

If this would have been done by Commie's then Filip de Winter would have long be impaled by now.In comparison to the Winter Fortuyn was a prertty moderate right winger ,and a far more sympathetical and friendly'r man.I can not understand why anybody would ever support the Winter.He is like the most extreme of all extreme right winger's ,and most people in my country feel embarresed that our country harbour's such a politician.

Truly i never expected this in Holland ,rather more in my own country.

Originally posted by basta72
Things like that can happen in any country. It happened in my country in 1986 when prime minister Olof Palme was assasinated. No one belived that such things could happen here, but it did. I belive that the security is higher nowadays. But it wasn´t strange at all if the prime minister himself walked around as he wanted among "ordinary" people without any guards at all, like he did when he was assasinated.
Indeed it can happen to any country. There are mad people everywhere and I also think they shouldn't bring much more security. You can't defend against these assassins.

Originally posted by TheDuckOfFlanders

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a action performed by communist's ,actually i think ,and even fear ,that this was done by a desperate immigrant.As thus i fear that this even eventually may work in the advantage of extreme right ,although they lost with Fortuyn an important vote gatherer.

If this would have been done by Commie's then Filip de Winter would have long be impaled by now.In comparison to the Winter Fortuyn was a prertty moderate right winger ,and a far more sympathetical and friendly'r man.I can not understand why anybody would ever support the Winter.He is like the most extreme of all extreme right winger's ,and most people in my country feel embarresed that our country harbour's such a politician.

Having read through the policies and statements of De Winter and the Vlaams Blok, I have no problem with them, and even see them as somewhat moderate as compared to some of my stances. But, they are on the right, so I lend them my 'support'.
No matter who did it, despicable evil communists, or a so called "desperate immigrant", this will not be the end of it. Being an immigrant is no excuse whatsoever.
The Commies haven't been able to organize a proper assassination since the Romanovs, anyway. They are of non consequence, rattling around there in the dustbin of history.:p

Originally posted by Matrix
Indeed it can happen to any country. There are mad people everywhere and I also think they shouldn't bring much more security. You can't defend against these assassins.

You can very much defend against them. It just takes proper security, and punitive measures against militants. Virtually anything can be defended against.

althoug it's very dangerous to say anything about this, but I think too, that it was a member of a minority who did it or was behind it. And I agree, people will vote out of emotional reasons which will probably help the right wing a lot. Indeed, PF was a moderate one, a one day fly who could actually show what's wrong in Dutch politics. A great loss I think...

this is disgusting.
pim fortyn is dead.that is really bad.i never supported his ideas .but this murder..
many condolences to his famelies
and this will only help extreme right parties:( :( :( :( :( :mad:

I have no idea who any of these people are being Canadian and all, but nobody deserves to be shot for political views. Unless of course its Russia is the 70's, in which case everyone deserves to be shot for everything.

Whoever did this has probably committed a grave error, in addition to committing a terrible crime. This is how martyrs are made. If it was an immigrant who assassinated him, then it will only validate the fears he had been playing on.

Indeed, PF was a moderate one, a one day fly who could actually show what's wrong in Dutch politics. A great loss I think...

A bit off topic ,but i dare to doubt that fortuyn was an asset in the sence that he showed what was wrong in dutch politic's.

The immigration problem is not a matter that should be dealt with on the national level ,rather on the international level.IMHO Local politic's can not solve these problem's.The immigration problem is as "severe" in Holland as in almost any European country ,and it originates from Globalization.As thus the immigratioin problem is more a european problem than a country specific problem ,and it result's in a increasing power of far right politician's in the whole of Europe ,something that is very dangerous for the relatively young construction that is the EU.

What Europe must do IMO is to take on te mob organization's that reside in country's like Albania and Montenegro (as far as one can see montenegro as a seperate terrotory) and other problematic region's around europe.These mob organization's ,wherefrom the Albanian and Georgian are the most nototrius of them ,have found a new income market in smoguling Immigrant's to shengen country's.This result's in a dramatical increase of the volume of economical refugee's that come to europe ,as well as further bringing the poor country's to more poverty by demanding huge price's for the transport of an immigrant's ,so much money that whole family's save ten year's of work income just to be able to send their son to Europe.

Compare the immigrant problem with the drug's problem.Everybody can figure out that the best way to battle drug's is to destroy them in the drug producing country's.everybody understand's also that the best way to battle mas immigration is to battle poverty in the poor country's.but this would take decenia to solve.the next best thing in both case's is to battle the supply line's.The least best thing is to battle these problem's domesticly.

Originally posted by History_Buff
I have no idea who any of these people are being Canadian and all, but nobody deserves to be shot for political views. Unless of course its Russia is the 70's, in which case everyone deserves to be shot for everything.

whut?

A bit off topic ,but i dare to doubt that fortuyn was an asset in the sence that he showed what was wrong in dutch politic's.

The immigration problem is not a matter that should be dealt with on the national level ,rather on the international level.IMHO Local politic's can not solve these problem's.The immigration problem is as "severe" in Holland as in almost any European country ,and it originates from Globalization.As thus the immigratioin problem is more a european problem than a country specific problem ,and it result's in a increasing power of far right politician's in the whole of Europe ,something that is very dangerous for the relatively young construction that is the EU.

What Europe must do IMO is to take on te mob organization's that reside in country's like Albania and Montenegro (as far as one can see montenegro as a seperate terrotory) and other problematic region's around europe.These mob organization's ,wherefrom the Albanian and Georgian are the most nototrius of them ,have found a new income market in smoguling Immigrant's to shengen country's.This result's in a dramatical increase of the volume of economical refugee's that come to europe ,as well as further bringing the poor country's to more poverty by demanding huge price's for the transport of an immigrant's ,so much money that whole family's save ten year's of work income just to be able to send their son to Europe.

Compare the immigrant problem with the drug's problem.Everybody can figure out that the best way to battle drug's is to destroy them in the drug producing country's.everybody understand's also that the best way to battle mas immigration is to battle poverty in the poor country's.but this would take decenia to solve.the next best thing in both case's is to battle the supply line's.The least best thing is to battle these problem's domesticly.

I didn't mean the immigration or any other of his things, I meant he was the only politician who could actually bring the things so that everyone understood it. His problem was that he wasn't like a real Rotterdammer should be; he only had words and no deeds.

Top Bottom