pineappledan, HungryForFood, & Recursive's New Beliefs

I see, I neglected the era scaling stuff when coding it. Probably lost my train of thought while doing it.

I'll wait for Recursive or Gazebo to merge the recent beta into the main Github, then I'll fix it.

I tried doing a game with the last version of the mod, but it didn't appear in the mod list even after clearing the cache.

Animism update
added Animism (movement bonus to missionaries, bonus for unimproved tiles)
Changed the yields on God of Storms (Do not scale)
Revelation no longer scales with Era
Ecumenism nerfed to 25/25 spread power/distance

Last edited:
[1719744.359] Invalid Reference on UnitPromotions.PediaEntry - "TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ANIMISM" does not exist in Language_en_US
[1719744.421] Invalid Reference on UnitPromotions.Help - "TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ANIMISM_HELP" does not exist in Language_en_US
[1719744.468] Invalid Reference on UnitPromotions.Description - "TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ANIMISM" does not exist in Language_en_US

@pineappledan not sure why but I downloaded this mod and cannot activate it. I am getting message that it is missing some components but I have no idea what as I have VP 12-1 with the 2/4 beta hotfix for. I have your 3/4 components mod, unit tweaks, national parks

I was playing this on Marathon. I picked Ecumenism and Faith of the Masses. When the World Congress started I had "10" votes from Reformation, when Ecumenism says it gives 2 and Faith of the Masses none (although I know Holy Land would if I had enough Holy Sites which I did not). That seems unintended?

Pineappledan, a question about the trickster pantheon - does it work on forts as well? and does it only apply to the first time you complete an improvement on a given tile, or every time? for example, can I switch between building mines/farms and UIs (polder, chateau,...) on a tile to constantly get yields?

Pineappledan, a question about the trickster pantheon - does it work on forts as well? and does it only apply to the first time you complete an improvement on a given tile, or every time? for example, can I switch between building mines/farms and UIs (polder, chateau,...) on a tile to constantly get yields?
Yes, you can do that. It's not a very efficient way to gaining yields, but that is possible to do.
consider that if you were to just work that tile with an improvement, you would be able to gain a significant portion of the value of the instant yields over those 4-8 turns. You are also paying maintenance for a worker that isn't actually contributing to long-term infrastructure by doing that. As you say, if it's something low-value and fast to build like a fort, it probably becomes more worthwhile, but by then the value of the yields has dropped off considerably.

--change Orthodoxy to Ecumenism
UPDATE Beliefs SET SpreadDistanceModifier = 25 WHERE Type = 'BELIEF_HOLY_ORDER';
UPDATE Beliefs SET SpreadStrengthModifier = 25 WHERE Type = 'BELIEF_HOLY_ORDER';
UPDATE Beliefs SET PressureChangeTradeRoute = 0 WHERE Type = 'BELIEF_HOLY_ORDER';
UPDATE Beliefs SET FriendlyCityStateSpreadModifier = 0 WHERE Type = 'BELIEF_HOLY_ORDER';
UPDATE Beliefs SET ExtraVotes = 2 WHERE Type = 'BELIEF_HOLY_ORDER';

The "Trickster god" pantheon doesn't seem to trigger when removing a feature (forest/jungle).

Also, I think the "God of Storms" pantheon is excessively tailor-made for Denmark, and so is too rarely useful to be interesting, which is a shame knowing how numerous and often powerful the gods of storm were in a lot of mythologies : Marduk in Babylone, Zeus in Greece, the numerous storm gods of the Hittites, Perun among the Slavs, Ukko in Finland, Susanoo in Japan, Tupa among the Tupi etc. I think keeping the pillage-related part of the pantheon is good, but that we should try to think about something else for the other half.

Here are ideas :
  • Make the bonus scale with tiles adjacent to coast instead of Coast tiles (so same system as for the Polynesian UI) => at least it doesn't force you to go full maritime
  • Give a bonus when you are at war in general (so it encourages you to be at war as often as possible) => it feels to easily exploitable (you declare war on a far-away civ and rip the benefits)
  • Give a bonus whenever you make negative diplomatic actions (denunciation, war, end of friendship) => it would go with the usual irascibility of this category of gods, and would mean you would have to pay a diplomatic price to gain bonus from your pantheon
  • Give an important bonus whenever you raze a city (so an all-in type of pantheon, which requires you to conquer very early to be benefitial)

Last edited:
The "Trickster god" pantheon doesn't seem to trigger when removing a feature (forest/jungle
Confirmed. @HungryForFood
Original idea for the design was for the yields to trigger on removal of features. If that’s complicated then I can simply change the description, might increase the yields slightly in that case as well.
Also, I think the "God of Storms" pantheon ... is too rarely useful to be interesting, which is a shame knowing how numerous and often powerful the gods of storm were in a lot of mythologies
don’t forget Yahweh was also a storm god.

I definitely don’t want the yields to depend on a diplomatic dependency. Ideally, we could do something with the existing code.

recall that @HungryForFood just opened the unit promotions to beliefs, so if there are any unit promotion abilities that fit I could change God of Storms with that.
I could add yields for garrisoned units for instance, that would be easy.

maybe Hungry has some ideas, since he’s basically co-author on this mod at this point? mine other idea I had is that Storm Gods are usually pretty capricious, vengeful deities. It is new code to implement, but I had this idea:
units with the god of storms belief promotion could deal 5 revenge damage to any unit that attacked it, including ranged units.
Maybe combine that with 3:c5faith:faith for every city with a garrison?

units with the god of storms belief promotion could deal 5 revenge damage to any unit that attacked it, including ranged units.

It is an interesting idea that I like (although there's a bit of a believability problem concerning ranged attacks).

Maybe combine that with 3:c5faith:faith for every city with a garrison?

I think its too bland and too powerful (see how the faith given by God of the Sun is already said to be too easy to get). Are you against keeping the bonus from pillaging ? Maybe mixed with the promotion you proposed above to make something like this ?

God of Storms

Military units get the "Vengeful" promotion (When hit by an enemy unit, damage the unit by 5 and gain a small amount of :c5faith: Faith, not scaling with era).
Pillaging a tile provides 15:c5faith:Faith and 20:c5production:Production. Does not scale with Era.

I'm suggesting keeping the bonus to pillaging, (though maybe reducing its yields).
God of Storms
+2:c5faith: Faith in Cities with a Garrison.
Pillaging a tile provides 15:c5faith:Faith and :c5production:Production. Does not scale with Era.
or.
God of Storms
+2:c5faith: Faith in Cities with a Garrison.
Pillaging a tile provides 15:c5faith:Faith and :c5production:Production. Does not scale with Era.
Enemy Units that attack your units take 5 additional damage.
Could call the promotion "Vengeful" or "Retribution", but I would probably opt to call it "God of Storms", so people can make the connection easier.

v8
Code:
- God of Storms dropped faith/production from sea tiles
- God of Storms now gives +2 Faith for Garrisons
- God of Storms Tile pillage yields reduced to 15 prod/faith
- Animism no longer gives food to unimproved tiles (faith/culture only)
- Trickster God text changed to reflect clearing features doesn't trigger yields
- Yields on improving tiles increased to 12 faith/research

Animism bonus to unimproved features persists after improving them.
Spoiler :
CivilizationV_DX11 2021-03-14 18-53-55-533.jpg

I think one of the last elements that we could explore for a pantheon is death-synergy : it has already been explored a bit (Graveyard from Asterix Rage More Buildings mod, Ceremonial Burial founder belief, some UCs here and there), but I think there is a real field of possibilities here. Plus, it would be a nice way to give a better mouthfeel to UUs focusing on having spammable units, and would allow a more risky approach to warfare, especially if you stack these bonuses (so a bit like Zealotry, it would require investing in specific elements, but could reward greatly those who do so).

The type of gods for such a pantheon is obvious, and frankly I think it's bizarre that there hasn't already been one implemented. Gods of the Underworld were venerated in a number of places : Cernunnos among some Celtic tribes (or Be Binn in Ireland), Ereshkigal in Mesopotamia, Mot among Pheonicians, Hades (and the whole family of Chthonic deities) in Greece, Anubis or Osiris in Egypt, Ogbunabali among Yorubas, Morana among Slavs, Hel among Norsemen, Jabru in Elam, Izanami in Japan, Yama in Hinduism etc (with a lot of them also perceived as gods of Justice, by the way).

Spoiler Idea for the pantheon :

Chthonic God / God of the Underworld / God of Death

+1 :c5faith: Faith from all Faith sources
When losing or expending a unit, gain :c5faith: Faith and some :c5production: Production or :c5greatperson: GP points back in the city where the unit was created (scaling with cost, or era, or no scaling ?)

Elements :
  • The first part of the effect would do the same as what GAges already do with Gold. It means it would a good faith generating pantheon when you have a faith-rewarding monopoly or UI or UB capable of increasing the number of faith sources.
  • Losing or expending a religious (missionary, inquisitor, prophet) or a settling unit would only reward a bit of Faith
  • If the thing needs to be toned-down a bit (for example for the GP part), maybe a decrease in War Weariness could be also a thing (at least it would be thematic)

Animism bonus to unimproved features persists after improving them.

I'll try to recreate it. By the way @pineappledan, it also appears that Trickster-God doesn't give its Faith/Science bonus from repairing non-road improvements (it's a rare case, but I wanted to warn you nonetheless).

Edit : Recreated the Animism bug with and without 4UC or any other modmod.

Also, the description of Animism on this thread should be tweaked (different yields in game + called Animalism on the thread)

Last edited:
This mod is busted with versions 4/29 and later.

Well, it was already sort of busted because of the aforementioned Animism bug, but now it's extra, compound busted.

Top Bottom