[GS] Pingala first now?

I've only watched one stream so far with Pingala first (with autocracy), and I must say it's pretty powerful. I've been doing Magnus first since I don't know when. Is it time for a change? I normally don't do autocracy either because I can care less about early wonders, and I'm not a fan of the slot distribution, but I may need to rethink that as well.

Will you change your first governor based on what you've seen so far? What are your thoughts on governor selection with Gathering Storm? With the Ottomans I will probably go with Ibrahim first, though it's possible I may take him 2nd.

It certainly is an interesting topic, given how many changes they made to each of the governors. I generally select Liang first, as I play a builder game and I like to get her online early for GP boost for Ancestral Hall. I don’t know if that will change.

However, I am interested in Ibrahim for my Ottoman games. I wish his initial 20% military unit production boost applied to settlers and builders as well— I would certainly consider him a first draft pick then. Otherwise, he’d be my 2-3rd choice, depending on the business needs of the day.

Beyond that, I look forward to seeing how my strategy will change for the other govs. I like a lot of the adjustments, and look forward to checking them out.

Pingala, Liang or Magnus are all viable first picks. It all depends on your situation and plan.

I probably wouldn't spend a free governor title from the first goody hut on Pingala. Otherwise I agree with @Giskler.

I think Magnus first is still a solid option a lot of the time, but he's second tier promotions have gone done in viability. If you get godess of the harvest almost definitely.

Tho Pingala (who has a +100% gpp promotion) + divine spark + potentially the Oracle is already insanely strong - he's never been first choice for me but is often pretty soon after.

I've only watched one stream so far with Pingala first (with autocracy), and I must say it's pretty powerful. I've been doing Magnus first since I don't know when. Is it time for a change? I normally don't do autocracy either because I can care less about early wonders, and I'm not a fan of the slot distribution, but I may need to rethink that as well.

Will you change your first governor based on what you've seen so far? What are your thoughts on governor selection with Gathering Storm? With the Ottomans I will probably go with Ibrahim first, though it's possible I may take him 2nd.
He may well be 1, 2, and 3 for base and + culture/+science. I usually like to chop out units, but the strategic resource cap may force that to later. And besides, if I take the base promotion then the +culture per pop, I will arrive at more governor titles sooner.

Edit: Then there's chopping population up w/ Magnus then sending Pingala. Hmm...

As an Arabia main, I was already picking Educator first. You've got to get theocracy as early as possible, and he helps with that.

My first five governor titles are probably going to be Educator --> Connoisseur --> Cardinal --> Surveyor --> Zoning Commissioner most of the time. After that, choices will very from one game to another, but I'll almost always end up taking Patron Saint and Contractor in the late game, before I make my final victory push. The Diplomat will always be recruited if Yerevan is on the map, but usually not otherwise.

Of course, I'll make different choices when playing as a civ who doesn't need to rush an early civic, isn't as religion-centric, and isn't as district-centric.

After watching Many a True Nerd's Mali playthrough I'd say Reyna 1st for Mali. Got to get working on being able to buy districts. They were paying for themselves so quickly.

I definitely plan on doing this with my first game (which will be Mali). Maybe it's not optimum, but who doesn't like more gold.

Maori (whom Potato was playing that I mentioned in the OP) definitely seems to benefit from Pingala. That culture promotion worked out well for him.

Other civs will depend on terrain. If I do plan on early chops, Magnus is probably still best, or if I plan on pumping out a lot of settlers (like with Phoenicia) with provision. And yes, with goddess of the harvest, this is certainly a great option.

With so many useful governor titles, I may be tempted to build government plaza earlier. Some games I don't get it very early, but I feel like I'm going to want those governor promotions sooner rather than later.

After watching Many a True Nerd's Mali playthrough I'd say Reyna 1st for Mali. Got to get working on being able to buy districts. They were paying for themselves so quickly.

Getting Contractor and Divine Architect as early as possible seems superoptimal for Mali, except in very usual circumstances.

Granted, that's an eight governor title commitment, but I can't think of many situations where it wouldn't be worth it.

Getting Contractor and Divine Architect as early as possible seems superoptimal for Mali, except in very usual circumstances.

Granted, that's an eight governor title commitment, but I can't think of many situations where it wouldn't be worth it.

The changes to the governors and the new civs do make the governors more interesting.
It used to be 2 titles for Magnus then 1 for Liang or Amani virtually every game for me.

I just like the fact that there's a viable alternative to Magnus now...though the no pop loss for settlers is still hard to pass up.

As mentioned magnus' no pop settler ability is huge.
You get 3 titles super early, so That does give some flexibility (esp for ottomans- ibrahim+combat boost and can still have magnus chop)

Several GS civs benefit from city spam in select locations; namely inca and mali early (near mountains and rivers for inca, deserts for mali) and canada near tundra late for super hockey rinks. Phoenicia can coastal city spam but it just helps those cities, it's not empire snowballing like inca/mali.
As inca I think magnus settler power is a bit reduced because of all their food boosts, although mali would definitely appreacite both cramming in as many cities on desert tiles (and near each other) as possible while securing either reyna or moksha's purchase power.

Getting +1 Science or +1 Culture per citizen is very strong early game, I think i'll be picking Pingala for at least my first couple of games in GS. Losing a population whenever you build a settler has never been a biggie for me since i'm often building that settler in a city with maximum housing.

Getting +1 Science or +1 Culture per citizen is very strong early game, I think i'll be picking Pingala for at least my first couple of games in GS. Losing a population whenever you build a settler has never been a biggie for me since i'm often building that settler in a city with maximum housing.

Yeah, to me the "no pop loss for settlers" is really more valuable for my 2nd expansion phase, ideally with monumentality and faith/gold buying settlers.

I think a lot of times how the early governors go will depend on when I end up getting the government plaza. If you don't have an early GP, then you really only have 2 early titles to work with, which to me is usually Amani for one (can easily net you 4-6 era score from suzerains, plus being able to get an early foothold on a nice nearby CS can be big). With 1 other title, then I find either Liang or Magnus are still too strong.

But now, if you do plan to get the early government plaza, being able to get ~6-8 science or culture from getting 2 promotions into Pingala is a huge boost at that point of the game. It definitely changes the thoughts, and for sure makes me much more interested in grabbing that early plaza district.

I definitely can see myself skipping Liang or Magnus more often now, though, especially since Victor and Moksha have gained usefulness. Although they're still missing a +1 faith per citizen on Moksha to really balance the governors out, but if I'm doing a faith-buying game, it's certainly going to be tempting to get him down to that last promotion, although that does take a fair number of often useless promotions before you get to that point.

Autocracy has always been the best t1 government if not directly at warw. +1 of each yield sounds little but early game it is probably 5%, and with double autocracy, more like 10%. It's like stacking happiness bonuses.

Also what does the new Pingala do?

Tier 2 promotions are a choice between 1 culture per pop or 1 science per pop, plus his tier one promotion of +15% culture and science.

Pingala will be very tempting for high food starts if nothing else. I’m very keep to try Pingala with Khmer. Probably disgusting with Korea. You can just rush rush rush culture and then grab whatever other Governor titles you want really.

Pingala's 1st tiers look really good and I'm looking forward to trying those first. I always wanted a culture equivalent to Rome's free monuments with all the other civs and Pingala's culture promotion looks to be just that.

I'd also like to mention liang's Zoning Commissioner got a huge boost as it now hits all districts.

Sometime those sweet +4 campus spots are close and Liang's charge + district boost will be really helpful there and throughout the rest of the game.

Top Bottom