1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Pingala first now?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Disgustipated, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I've been avoiding Magnus for quite a while now. I've been taking the opening level of Liang and Pingala (alternating which goes first). Then I've just been letting promotions stock pile until I can get Reyna's buy districts ability.

As of GS, Pingala's crazy good. Should also change the dynamics for food/housing in your core city.

Overall, the governors look better balanced as of GS. Armani giving you her city state's luxuries can be huge, as it lets you sell more of your own luxuries. Liang's boost to district construction was already mentioned by @NegativeZero, and her immunity to disaster damage could be great for settling under a high yield volcano. Victor and Moksha will be powerful as soon as the AI gets it's act together. But it's unlikely anything's as good as Pingala's new abilities; not even Magnus.

I'm not a fan of governors, but GS looks to be an improvement on the mechanic over RF.

2. MonkeyPaw

MonkeyPaw Chieftain

I take Reyna if I have a river/coastal spot to build a sweet CH/Harbour triangle, otherwise I've always been a fan of Pingala for the GPPs

3. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Depends on the civ. Mali will want Reyna and possibly Moksha. Phoenicia will want Reyna first and foremost with 2 points into Magnus.

I like how the governors have a stronger niche now.

4. rlw33

rlw33 Warlord

This is a really interesting thread. I honestly hadn't given much thought to changing my governor drops in GS until now.

ChocolateShake and Ivan Hunger like this.
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Science adjacency can get you a lot early but culture is harder.
    To have 1CPT or 1 SPT based on pop means typically it would be better for culture. The fact that Pingala will definitely speed up your knights is tempting and quite strong.
    The delay in chop means a stronger chop but probably the loss of Oracle/pyramids.
    You do get 3 early promotions but that means loss of provision which I think I can live with, so you can have both.... but also at the sacrifice of Amani....and I like Amani.
    The real answer is as already said, it is circumstantial.
    Pin for violence
    Magnus for fast cultural
    Amani for golden classics, special early suzerains and getting some rather cheap mercenaries early.

I love the amount of choice in VI.

6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

You know they're getting on the right track if people here can't decide who the "best choice" is . . .

Icicle, Caprikel, oedali and 5 others like this.
  7. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

I'm just happy that chop-overflow got fixed while bumping the other governor abilities up.

It's going to be a hard choice when GS comes out as we'll need to "play the map" more.

I did experiment with Armani (R&F) a bit earlier and her ability enabled a sweet classical mapuche golden age with 25/24 points. I got a bit greedy founding cities (increasing points needed) otherwise the uniques would've pulled me there.

Isengardtom and Victoria like this.
  8. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

Yup I do have plenty of games where I let my capital city get pretty huge due to building wonders (though I am trying to tone that down... well sort of ;) ) instead of expanding, getting +1 science or culture per pop (could also go for both) will be pretty amazing. Liang is definitely going to have some strong competition.

Yup it's really cool how the specialized choices are more emphasized for some of the new civs and the older ones too. Even Victor is going to be really good to keep a wide empire loyal with his new +4 loyalty to cities within 9 tiles promotion, and his other new promotions are great too.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    acluewithout likes this.
  9. indradiva

indradiva Warlord

Yes, I like the changes to governors. Liang's ability to give housing to neighborhoods and aqueducts and amenities to dams and canals is very sweet, especially to Rome and Khmer and Kongo. I actually think aqueducts will be more useful now as settling adjacent to rivers is risky. Your first few cities will need fast growth, but for your next ones settling one tile away from a river is worth taking into consideration.

10. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

It seems that goddess of harvest has actually been removed. I havent seen it in a very long time in GS play throughs.

BarbarianHunter likes this.
  11. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

To be fair, it is one of the popular pantheon beliefs with earth goddess being the quickest taken (in R&F). Unless they are Mali with a good sized desert start or pushing faith yields, they'll likely miss either of these.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  12. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Aren't city centers immune to flooding effects?

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

it's still there in Potato's Maori play through.

14. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Magnus will still be my first because I really like to build settlers without losing population and boosted harvest still a good thing to have. I'll definitely give Pingala more love and I'll probably get him over Liang as my second but Magnus still hard to ignore.

15. indradiva

indradiva Warlord

According to Arioch's site, floods can damage city health and walls

Ziad likes this.
  16. Victoria

Just on the Amani thing.... if you are unaware... her level 3 +4 amenity promotion effectively makes her a +14 loyalty governor.

craney1987 likes this.
  17. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

That promotion is being removed though.

Victoria likes this.
  18. Victoria

true, and I am not sad because its a bit of a waste of promotions however it was good for anyone that hated the loyalty problem

19. Furycrab

Furycrab King

I'm wondering if they slightly overdid it and it might be too good to pass up almost regardless of what you are doing early. So you get Early Empire and State District, then you have 2 titles, and then you get 5+ culture bonus which should in just about every game cut the time to Political Philosophy in half. Which should translate into a lot of good stuff, including faster extra titles so you can go pick up whatever other Governor fits your grand strategy.

You might not be able to rush an Early wonder with this, there are definitely some exceptions to where for example China might really want that 5 builder charge, or Magnus if you are one of those players that puts the game mode to "Wet" so you have like 3-4 more tiles to chop, but it feels pretty strong.

I want to make a strong case for Amani though looking at how she's strong with just 1 title and the AI seems very eager to buy the 1 favor you get per turn for what seems like 5 gold each, so even if you are not interested in the Diplo game, you can convert it into useful yields. I'm just hoping they toned down the AI CS murder sprees though. Playing a Large map right now with something like 15 CS only to have like a handful survive is a little disheartening.

NegativeZero likes this.
  20. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I think you're right. Of course you'll be able to play any way you want and win, but using your first 3 promotions on Pingala will likely prove to be the most efficient approach. Why go through the hassle of doing indirect things that eventually boost your culture and science when you can simply get extra culture and science directly and early?

Pingala -> Pingala culture boost -> Pingala science boost will be simple, powerful, and require little other effort to be extremely effective at boosting the long-term fortunes of your empire.