Pirate Feedback and ideas.

Bartholomew Roberts is the second Pirates leader, so no good. :)

Maybe Drake?

The \XML\Texts\ folder is where all the text is stored. The files are labelled fairly logically to organise all the text required for the mod. :)

The Dread Pirate Roberts and Bartholomew Roberts are different people. Just thought I'd point that out.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, so prepare to die! :D

Great film!

Perhaps not the right thread and it may have been discussed earlier. I did try a game playing Pirates (v1.05). Some things strikes me as oddities

The main thing, Pirates are supposed to be hostile when moving about, this shows itself from Natives mostly attacking when walking by, fine by me, free experience which is frankly almost too easy to gain and to get invincible Swashbuckers isn't too hard.

European colonies on the other hand, mostly ignores my Swashbuckers, they move their colonist and parks them right beside my Swashbucker, easy xp when my turn comes around. I could disrupt the european powers expansion just by placing some Swashbuckers strategically in their land and then kill everything that walked by.

So main complaint here would be that European powers doesn't consider Pirate landtroops any threat to their colonists/pioneers unless war, though on some occasions, they would attack if they had soldiers that they figured stronger, but still, walking by a hostile with a colonist was far too common and european soldiers wouldn't have the xp to match the swashbuckers anyway.

On the seas it's the same story, get a Pirate Ship up a few levels, killing two caravels seems enough to gain a high enough level to kill everything that comes by without trouble. And the European AI seems to completely ignore to counter the threat with warships, thus it's very safe to sit around with some Pirate Ships and collect the plunder.

On another note, Pirates should be able to raid colonies as well IMHO, right now you can attack any troop/colonist/ship etc outside colonies, but if you decide you want to attack the settlement as Pirate, you need to declare war.

A raid function on a settlement would be nice, ie, Pirates can't capture another colony but they can raid it, capturing the goods within, perhaps destoying a random improvement in the process. This would be without declaring war. Quite possible it's too exploitable vs the AI and thus would greatly imbalance the game and perhaps hard to code. But as it is now it doesn't feel right that Pirates needs to declare war to "raid" a colony.

Overall, it was fun for a while to play as a Pirate, it got a bit teadious after a while as it was too easy, getting the required amount of plunder to win would've been no problem but I just didn't have the patience to wait around that long. Anyway, it's a fun improvement to the game, it just needs some more development.

As Dale said just a few days ago, he doesnt want pritates/privateers to be able to plunder a colony, as they would not just stand by.

As Dale said just a few days ago, he doesnt want pritates/privateers to be able to plunder a colony, as they would not just stand by.

If there were a way to flag pirate units as always at war with other nations, they might well try to attack ravaging pirate land units. As things stand, their strange territory-less neutral status leads to very odd situations, since pirate land units can move into or through player cities and territory, without being at war at all.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

I captured a pirate colony, without a fight. the veteran (swashbuckler) was working as a colonish, I equipped him with muskets, and he became veteran soldier, I moved it to my colony and try to make it a dragoon, but couldnt do so.

Shouldnt this thing be handled that when such soldier is captured by europeans they can turn him into a dragoon?

Some observations, feedback and ideas on the Pirates:

- Can't attack a city without declaring war. Seems a bit odd as you can attack units without being as war.
- I've noticed extremely -ve results from Burial grounds with Pirates, with local tribes very regularly going to war with me. Also saw this when exploring them with Military units as a 'normal
nation.
- The natives relationship with pirates is very inconsistant. They will happily trade with you one turn, then randomly attack your units the next. I think that the natives/other nations should be unwilling to trade with you, certainly to start with.
- After a while all I get at the docks is prisoners, although there is the odd random SB/DH every so often.
- ATM the Pirate game seems a bit 'pointless' and dull after the initial novelty :(.
- It is very difficult to build up any decent cities, as you can have no experts, which makes the Industrial victory nigh on impossible to acheive. The Trade Victory is probably very acheivable, but feels a bit 'cheap' as most of the trade is selling spoils. Perhaps this should be got rid of and just leave the Plunder victory.
- Swashbuckler unit is pretty cool, but surely should start with the Amphibious promotion, or the one that allows to attack from a ship without penalty?

General thoughts/ideas:
I don't mind the lack of experts available to Pirates at the docks or through training, and the assosiated problems with city building, but i think this is certainly fair if it is balanced out with more powerful naval abilties - eg Promotions for SB, production bonus/cheaper prices for ships. I think someone mentioned a kind of FF for Pirates? These could give more ships etc.
Related the the point above, I think Pirates need to be made weaker on land and stronger on the sea.
Also i think the Pirates should be able to raid cites. This could be a way for them to capture experts and put them to work in their own cities, although at an adjusted rate (higher than a normal colonist, but less than a normal expert) obviously. I see Zuul posted that Dale was against this, but if the Pirates did raid a colony and capture a colonist, it could easily be won back by defeating the Pirate unit or the colonist itself if left unguarded. Obviously raids effectiveness would be affected by any Military units stationed in the colony.
Privateering - you could be hired by european nations to attack other particular european units for a fee.

I wrote a litte python snippet that delays the arrival of the pirates. :)
Code:
if (CyGame().getGameTurn() == 0):
	if not gc.getPlayer(gc.getGame().getActivePlayer()).isPirates():
		iDelay = 50  

for i in range(CyGame().countCivPlayersAlive()):
			if gc.getPlayer(i).isPirates():
				(unit, iter) = gc.getPlayer(i).firstUnit()

while (unit):
				if (unit.getDomainType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString("DOMAIN_SEA")) and (not unit.isDelayedDeath()) and (not unit.getUnitTravelState == 2):
					unit.setUnitTravelState( 2, false)
					unit.setUnitTravelTimer(iDelay)

(unit, iter) = gc.getPlayer(i).nextUnit(iter)

I had this idea after making a recall button for outgoing ships in the Europe screen.
It works by sending all pirate ships to the 2nd travel_state (coming from europe) and setting their travel timer to 50 turns (iDelay). I placed it at the end of CvMainInterface.interfaceScreen() but i'm sure there is a better position for it (maybe as a event directly after game start). And there seems to be a problem if pirates share same start location with other players. It could happen the ship is already destroyed before changing the travel state, maybe :crazyeye:.

Probably better to put that in onGameTurn

Thank you Dale. I put it in CvEventManager.py (onGameStart) and it seems to work. :)

Thank you Dale. I put it in CvEventManager.py (onGameStart) and it seems to work. :)

Sorry my mistake. I meant onBeginGameTurn (I just looked it up). onGameStart won't work well as it is only called once per game. You need to push all pirate ships generated over the time period which means you need it called each turn.

I would remove the if turn == 0 condition and change iDelay's setting. Make it iDelay == 50 - GC.getGame().getGameTurn() (or whatever that statement is). That means any pirate ships generated get pushed back till turn 50.

I was playing pirates today (awesome mod btw!) and I noticed a bug:

If any of your pirate ships ends its turn right next to one of your own colonies with a Fortress and cannons, the fortress is starting to fire at your ships, although it is also your fortress...

Seems to me that this is a problem with the "beeing able to attack without declaring war"-ability of the pirate ships.

Oh, and this 3 out of 4 times caused my game to crash until i figured out that this was the cause.

Edit:
There also seems to be a Problem when you move your Pirate Brig (which can´t attack) onto the tile as the ship of an (yet) unknown European (e.g. in the very begining). Sometimes the pirate brig takes the load of the ship and the pirate gets loot, just as if the europ. ship has been sunk, but it actually hasn´t, it has just moved 2 or 3 tiles further and looses all its cargo
Also happend to me once while playing dutch.

Schmiedemeister

you also have that issue

My Ships Attack by - My Own Fortress as Pirates
hi

I m using the latest patch AOD 1.05 by Dale
I try to play as Pirates
build fortress in my island
when my ships waiting to enter my settlement with fortress
My ships being fired by my Own fortress with cannons in it
Why should my own ships fired by my own fortress?

It says ships hit 12%
sunk etc

How to fix it?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=305323

Thanks for that bug report.

There also seems to be a Problem when you move your Pirate Brig (which can´t attack) onto the tile as the ship of an (yet) unknown European (e.g. in the very begining). Sometimes the pirate brig takes the load of the ship and the pirate gets loot, just as if the europ. ship has been sunk, but it actually hasn´t, it has just moved 2 or 3 tiles further and looses all its cargo
Also happend to me once while playing dutch.

heh, i noticed that too, but thought it was intended like that and was rather surprised and annoyed when i couldnt replicate it later. since my brig still had my colonists inside, the "captured" colonists were stranded in the middle of the ocean (walked the plank?).

I was just wondering if there is any reason for the pirate king to have a swashbuckler stationed in the middle of some maps, just doing nothing but blocking one tyle ?
My first guess would be that he is simply stupid, but that would be too senseless ;)

It would be fun if you got a huge treasure by defeating that unit, like it beeing the kings secret treasure keeper or sth like that

Top Bottom