1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Pirates scenario first look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

2. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Port names and owners are designed to match the original pirates. There's also an option for a random map with more evenly distributed colonial power cities.

Need crew to capture ships, can replenish crew at taverns in cities.

I missed what "chain shot" does - something about removing movement points?

Knightfall, Haig and nzcamel like this.
  3. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Anchors the ship in place.

Knightfall and WillowBrook like this.
  4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Looks like when you take out all a city's defenses, you get big rewards, then city heals completely.

Burying gold gives points. But be careful, if other players find it, you lose those points!

Relics (equivalent of policy cards) can be switched out every turn.

Meluhhan and Knightfall like this.
  5. Piranga

Piranga Warlord

Watching the livestream. The AI is pathetic. Expected but still disappointing.

The player is in a fleet v fleet battle verse AI France. The AI fleet bombards barbarian land units (that are no threat at all) and ignores the players ships completely.

Knightfall likes this.
  6. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Man...this is an awesome scenario ;-) Going to love it, even if I never played Pirates before ;-)

Yeah was thinking exactly the same thing. Seems to me the AI should have prioritized the player, not the raiding !

Knightfall, pokiehl and WillowBrook like this.
  7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

The scenario is coming out on all platforms, if anyone was wondering.

Knightfall and pokiehl like this.
  8. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I think when the code tells AI that they should targeting barbarians, there is no weight difference between Land barbs and Naval barbs. They just target all the barbs.

Knightfall likes this.
  9. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I'm fine with not dragging this out either. But I should be stated, that between both the reality of sexist attitudes (certainly what we would consider sexist in the 21st century) in the Age of Sail; and the game being set in a world of Jack Sparrow's, Will Turner's and Elizabeth Swan's etc.... i.e. between both the historical reality and the fictional genre built up around it, it is fine just the way it is.

bbbt and Knightfall like this.
  10. bbbt

bbbt Deity

So in the next version of Pirates!, you woo the governor's daughter and then she rescues you from jail, joins you on the pirate ship, and becomes a kick-ass adventurer and sword-fighter? I think that might be going the other way now :)

I was being a bit pedantic, as social history was what I studied back in the day. The distinction of "this is how things were in the time" versus "this is what's being brought to the depiction of the past based on the culture/bias of the current interpreter" is a huge thing in history (of course) and possibly even more so with anything dealing with 'minority' representation (potentially going both ways - both dismissive and overcompensatory).

nzcamel likes this.
  11. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Okay, am I the only one who looks on the Pirates module as a potential 'test bed' fr a new look at Barbarians in general - either as a new Game Mode or a future version of the game?

Think about it: what if the ol' familiar Barbarians came in several Flavors:

Ravening Hordes - the Barbs we all know and Love: they attack on sight, raise armies, follow you home, steal your sheep and burn your crops.
    They Never Will Be Missed - the Barbs aren't obviously hostile, but Gold keeps disappearing from any Trade Routes passing near their camp(s), and Civilian Units have a way of disappearing around them . . .
    An Offer You Can't Refuse - Barbs will trade with you and you can send Trade Routes to their Camp(s). They will even trade Resources they've traded from other Civs or City States (NOTE: This would allow the actual process of the Silk Road to be recreated - a series of short distance trades that moved goods from one 'middleman' to another across 3/4 of Asia)
    Heroes For Hire - Barbs can be hired, a little like getting City State Units except that you can negotiate for a single unit, several units, or an entire Tribe.

Of course, which Flavor a given Camp is would be randomly determined and might even change during the game.

This would certainly add a far more dynamic element to Civ - Barbarian interactions, and some of the elements of it, like more flexible hiring of Units and trading Resources, or Trade Route/civilian unit 'piracy', could be added to the potential City State relationships as well. Port Royale or Oran as a Piratical City State? Right now a City State is at war, at peace and a Trade Route terminus, or Suzerigned (temporarily): they and the Barbarians could both benefit from a purloined set of Pirate Module-like varying characteristics . . .

12. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

I only care about
    1: whether they'll fix bugs(trade, Byzantium, Macedon etc.)
    2: whether they'll fix overpowered mechanisms.(chopping, pillage & repair etc)

13. TCBB

TCBB Warlord

So you’ve said.

....many, many times....

14. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

However they'll never change these things. Only introducing new imbalances and bugs.

15. gcampono

gcampono Chieftain

100% agree with that:
    I only care about
    1: whether they'll fix bugs(trade, Byzantium, Macedon etc.)
    2: whether they'll fix overpowered mechanisms.(chopping, pillage & repair etc)

He said it many times, but it is still the most important thing they should go, in addition to:
    3: improve AI (no need to elaborate!!!)
    4: improve multiplayer stability (is it that difficult to fix desyncs and disconnects and provide a way to reenter a game in such cases)?

Knightfall likes this.
  16. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Naval combat is the most lackadaisical (or boring) form of warfare present in the game (as you don't have to worry about terrain, LOS, choke points, etc.) and they decided to make a whole scenario around it without pretty much changing anything about naval combat.
    I feel this is a wasted opportunity to try to experiment with new features that could maybe make naval combat more interesting. I saw some interesting suggestions mentioned elsewhere like ocean currents, wind direction and wind velocity that could affect movement points...
    Meteorology is a big part of sailing, but even hurricanes which are part of the main game didn't seem to make it in the scenario (none seen in video at least).
    Mists and clouds (can't use astrolabe/sextant) could also be another interesting avenue.

In the spirit of the main game, even if the scenario only lasts 60 turns, the final outcome (winner) seems to be very clear way before it actually ends (at turn 40 in the video ie only 2/3 of the game in).
    I also find it funny that they acknowledge that the way treasure fleets spawn near a city (6? new unit magically spawning in a single turn) can totally screw you over and can make you lose the game, but at the same time they are also totally fine with it and left it as is for the release...

17. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite King

Green Arcadia01.png
    Does this scenario comes with unit assets for modders as well? Like Sloops were once Privateers, Brigantine were Frigates, Galleons were de Zeven Provincien (with 'Razed built' design. a rather 'new and heavy Manowar' thing). And How does Shore Party works? is it actually a type of ability to 'train' land unit out of the ship rather than embark and disembark? (Actually I like this unit because it has potentials to be 'Marine' class unit.

18. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

There's another thread to discuss the entire Balance Patch. This one is specifically for the Pirates Scenario.

CoconutTank and Pfeffersack like this.
  19. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Is it for the update, that involves necessary bug fixes in base game?

20. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

This thread is titled "Pirates Scenario First Look." In the first look, the only thing they discussed was the Pirates Scenario. Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

CoconutTank, Pfeffersack and Equilin like this.