Pitati archer upgrade to crossbowmen a letdown

tedhebert

Emperor
Hi all

Am I the only one who got a HUGE deception when upgrading my Pitati archers to crossbowmen in my first Nubia game ??? (I know, sorry, I'm an extremely slow player... ;-) )

I really expected that once upgrapded to xbows, the unit would keep it's civ specific advantage of the 3 movement, but NO, it's becomes just a normal xbow with 2 moves ???

What gives ? Is it wrong that I expected that ?

I mean... I "think" that some other UU keep some of their specificity when upgrading, no ?

As it is, there's little incentive to upgrade pitati archers because the game's already over by then lol...

As it is, there's little incentive to upgrade pitati archers because the game's already over by then lol...

true Dat... :lol:

but still... honestly, I upgraded only one, and when I realized this, held off upgrading the other... for the moment, not all that sure that losing 1 move to get +10 attack is worth the upgrade cost

Unlike in Civ V, unique units in Civ VI do not retain any of their unique characteristics upon being upgraded.

Still, the Pitati archer is powerful enough in its own right. 3-movement crossbows and field cannons would be an insane bonus.

ok thanks... Been too long I've played them, probably, but I was under the impression that Aztec's Eagle warriors kept their ability to convert to builder after upgrading...

ok thanks... Been too long I've played them, probably, but I was under the impression that Aztec's Eagle warriors kept their ability to convert to builder after upgrading...

Alas no, but with the combat bonuses provided by Luxuries with Montezuma's unique ability, they remain decent units in the field long after the regular Warrior would have had its day.

I would treat this like the Field Cannon -> Machine gun upgrade. If you need the extra combat bonus, do the upgrade. But if not, keep it as the older unit with the extra bonus (movement or range).

I would treat this like the Field Cannon -> Machine gun upgrade. If you need the extra combat bonus, do the upgrade. But if not, keep it as the older unit with the extra bonus (movement or range).

I've never EVER upgraded to Machine gun... I'm sure I will in the end upgrade my pitati archers, probably when I'm at field canon... but I can't think of a single good reason to upgrade to machine gun, honestly.... 1 range ???

true Dat... :lol:

but still... honestly, I upgraded only one, and when I realized this, held off upgrading the other... for the moment, not all that sure that losing 1 move to get +10 attack is worth the upgrade cost

With the experience bonus all my archers were firing 2x per turn by the time I upgraded, so those xbows were still pretty good.

Unlike in Civ V, unique units in Civ VI do not retain any of their unique characteristics upon being upgraded.

This is not true in all cases. Roman Legions which have been upgraded can still build a fort or chop a forest/jungle.

No, this is exactly what I expected. The extra movement is associated with the specific unique unit itself, it is not like a special promotion which could be carried over, nor is it an ability given by the leader or civilization. So when it becomes a crossbowman, it is just a normal crossbowman (hopefully a promoted one). It is also not the only instance where a unit has an advantage over the next unit in the upgrade line. Further down the ranged line, when you do the upgrade from field cannon to machine gun, you will use 1 range.

Top Bottom