Pizza is a healthy vegetable!

This just in: Congress is GOP.

The House is GOP. The Senate is Democrat-controlled.

But like I said, who cares about facts?

Tomato sauce is usually loaded with salt and sugar.

So? You might as well claim that anchovies aren't fish because they're full of salt.

Obviously the government is at fault because if there was no government the corporations would only give us healthy food and would be truthful and forthcoming about all nutrition facts.

The Federal government is at fault for thinking that they have the authority to decide what is or isn't a vegetable...

One house is GOP, the senate is Democrat.

Crap, I got ninja-ed.

Small businesses would not survive in an unregulated free market.

Wrong. Who do you think WRITES most of those regulations? Hint: it's not small businesses or consumers.

Funny, considering that regulation gives breaks and incentives to publicly traded corps that small business does not get. Despite what Fixed News and BSNBC tell you about corporate America, the US is still 2/3 small business. Government regulation is about killing the small business, not helping it.

Grrr... ninja-ed again...

It's quite obvious that you're simply here to to state your opposition towards regulation. If that's not playing to an anti-regulation audience, then I guess tomato sauce is a vegetable.

Tomato sauce is a fruit, regardless of what Congress says.

Next on the menu, we will have the government saying that an hamburger is part of a nutritious breakfast.

It certainly can be. It's a serving of meat and two servings of grains, with a wide range of potential fruit/veggie toppings. Certainly better than donuts and power bars.

Beer is a cereal, isn't it? It's made from hops and grains and stuff. A part of your complete breakfast!

I would not be surprised in the least to find that beer and bread have extremely similar nutritional profiles.

You can't give kids the choice. They're incapable of making decisions.

:lol:

Surely you're not claiming that children are rational actors... right?

I would not be surprised in the least to find that beer and bread have extremely similar nutritional profiles.

I don't know what you think both are made of, but alcohols and sugars are metabolized quite differently from starches and proteins.

Surely you're not claiming that children are rational actors... right?

I doubt that most adults are rational actors. That's not the same as being incapable of making decisions.

I don't know what you think both are made of, but alcohols and sugars are metabolized quite differently from starches and proteins.

Starches are made of sugars, and there's not much protein in bread.

Starches are made of sugars

Indeed. Sugars which are obtained over time by breaking the starch down, and not instantly as is the case with sugar alone. Different metabolisms. To say that bread has the same nutritional effect as beer is to be contrary to basic chemistry and biology.

Checking the label on my bread, about a quarter of the Calories are from protein.
Probably not the best way to determine the relative protein content of a food.

The disgust for Congress should be palpable after this. This literally should bring down a government. This is such an obvious corruption, and it's waggling its fingers at all the citizens who won't actually care enough to stop this crap.

We have raging debates on crime laws, global warming, freedom of speech, etc. But if the government is so corrupt that they can be bought by salt corporations to give crap to kids ... then actually important issues are way above their competence.

A salt corporation literally bought politicians so that they could get tax dollars to buy their products for kids. It's a giant, corrupt, rent-seeking, crock of crap.

Are we ascribing this to incompetence, or can we go the extra distance into malice?

But I have a sneaking suspicion that no one will raise a stink about this. USA #1![pissed]

They won't. Once you begin to stare in that direction and accept it, sticking up for a number of the US government's recent activities seems abominable. Find a sacred cow, turn blind eye:

It's exactly the kind of spectacle that the OWS movement should be attacking on merit, but instead they'd rather lie and make stupid jokes. It's pathetic.
:rolleyes:

This post is quite clearly designed to mock the pro-regulation position by suggesting that those who are pro-regulation are out of touch with the reality of the self-regulating market. But, in fact, markets are not entirely self-regulating and examples of self-regulation do not prove that regulation is not necessary. That is obviously true. Yet, in your apparent desire to come up with an anti-regulation retort, you ignore it. I'm more willing to believe that you're being dishonest than that you're actually ignorant of this fact, but feel free to prove me wrong.

You're reading way too much into his statement, aelf. His statement is meant to suggest that if there was a lack of government regulation, it would not preclude there being a health food industry. It does not suggest there should not be such regulation.

There are posters (including the one below) in this very thread who would try to buy more nutritious food instead of less expensive food (and pay the premium if so needed), which supports his point. The health industry has its niche, and their food is not always in direct competition with other food industries (Crezth seems to be ignoring this for some reason).

I have no idea what I'm going to do if/when I have kids. I don't want them to eat deep-fried crap every day at school, but at the same time I'd want them not to be singled out cause they're bringing in a healthy lunch to school.

At my school, and from experience, I think many other schools, the majority bring their lunch, because they realize just how bad the school food is. If you pack a healthy lunch, they should be fine. If anything, I have a feeling people would be more envious of them having real food or a parent who would make them real food.

You can't give kids the choice. They're incapable of making decisions. Just take away their fatty foods and don't look back on it.

I disagree. I take a healthly lunch and make healthier food choices than my mother on a regular basis. Of course, I run Cross Country and Track, so I have a higher awareness of health and have a high motivation to take care of my body, but still, young-people are capable of making healthy choices!

in some cases, fatty food is essential.

i play football/soccer for 1 hour in the morning from 4:30. 30 mins of swimming after that. school from 11 to 5:30.
I have my taekwando classes after that.
I gorge down food like most people cant believe, yet i am 68 kilos at 5'8"

You're reading way too much into his statement, aelf. His statement is meant to suggest that if there was a lack of government regulation, it would not preclude there being a health food industry. It does not suggest there should not be such regulation.

Yeah, but everyone knows that, so the fact that the post was made tells me something more about the poster's intention.

in some cases, fatty food is essential.

i play football/soccer for 1 hour in the morning from 4:30. 30 mins of swimming after that. school from 11 to 5:30.
I have my taekwando classes after that.
I gorge down food like most people cant believe, yet i am 68 kilos at 5'8"

Of course it is. There is a reason it tastes sooooo good. Back when a person was continually active and didn't know when his next meal was coming fats would have been one of the best things to eat, providing very concentrated calories.
The problem isn't that fats (and sugars, starches, sodium, etc) are eaten, it is that far too much is eaten.

Top Bottom