Pizza is a healthy vegetable!

As if Congress wasn't already suffering from a crisis in confidence....

The disgust for Congress should be palpable after this. This literally should bring down a government. This is such an obvious corruption, and it's waggling its fingers at all the citizens who won't actually care enough to stop this crap.

We have raging debates on crime laws, global warming, freedom of speech, etc. But if the government is so corrupt that they can be bought by salt corporations to give crap to kids ... then actually important issues are way above their competence.

A salt corporation literally bought politicians so that they could get tax dollars to buy their products for kids. It's a giant, corrupt, rent-seeking, crock of crap.

:clap::clap::clap:

I hate to use such gratuitous smileys, but you sir have won the internet.

This whole SNAFU displays quite explicitly how corrupt and apathetic our government really is. This puts to shame all the arguments they make about enacting laws that supposedly are out of concern for "public health" or "safety". They don't even care enough about the health of ordinary people to feed good food to children, so they look the other way while they fatten their pockets.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that no one will raise a stink about this. USA #1![pissed]

I especially like Jamie Oliver's take on this issue:

Seriously when I eat my fast food pizzas I usually don't even bother to eat the cheese. Or if I do I just eat it separately.

how the hell do you seperate cheese from a pizza?

also, america pizza hut pizzas are just ridiculous. cheese filled crusts? and what's that newest thing they have now? half a pound of five different meats on and in! a freaking pizza? i mean come on...

I don't think government has a right to tell us or our children what we can eat - and what else would you expect from such a government, except farce and corruption?

I'm curious to hear the logic behind drinking milkshakes being exercise.
I don't think government has a right to tell us or our children what we can eat - and what else would you expect from such a government, except farce and corruption?
If we're talking about public schools, then it's perfectly reasonable for government to restrict what food is served. I'd quite like caviar for my lunch, but I don't think my rights to choose what to eat are being stamped on if the nearest school doesn't offer it.

If we're talking about private schools, then what's wrong with government's imposing minimum standards to make those schools a safe environment? Serving really unhealthy foods doesn't make for a safe environment, and protecting children from the dangers posed by unhealthy foods seems entirely reasonable.

I'm curious to hear the logic behind drinking milkshakes being exercise.

If we're talking about public schools, then it's perfectly reasonable for government to restrict what food is served. I'd quite like caviar for my lunch, but I don't think my rights to choose what to eat are being stamped on if the nearest school doesn't offer it.

If we're talking about private schools, then what's wrong with government's imposing minimum standards to make those schools a safe environment? Serving really unhealthy foods doesn't make for a safe environment, and protecting children from the dangers posed by unhealthy foods seems entirely reasonable.

There isn't really such a thing as unhealthy food [unless its poisoned etc] - just unhealthy eating habits. It is really up to individuals and families to make those decisions and acquire good habits.

The more government takes care of people, the more dependent they get on government from a young age, thinking of it in a benevolent paternal role. Eventually, they get the habit of thinking "I got a problem - how can government solve that?" which is not good in a free country.

Eventually, they get the habit of thinking "I got a problem - how can government solve that?" which is not good in a free country.
What's wrong with leveraging the colective will of the comunity to solve problems?

They aren't telling children what they can eat. They are telling government funded restaurants (public school cafeterias) what they can serve. If the children don't like it they can supply their own food.

So, just to clarify, the two tablespoons of tomato paste in a serving of pizza IS certainly a vegetable serving. In a lot of ways, tomato paste is even healthier than a raw tomato (though it's probably worse in other ways, so there's a balance to be had). Two tbs of paste is about the same calories as a whole tomato (which is certainly a vegetable serving).

That certainly does not mean that a pizza sauce serving is healthy (never mind a pizza slice). A good rule of thumb is to look at the sodium. If the sodium mg is greater than the calories (per serving), then it's probable that the food is not 'healthy'. Normal tomato paste should be about 1 mg of sodium per 4 calories, so it's certainly healthy for you (and a vegetable serving). I don't know which brand of pizza sauce people use, but it's easy to check a label for my rule-of-thumb.

No way. Really? Did they mention which part of the legislation?

I dunno exactly, it just said in an article (or was it an opinion piece?) on the NY times. I'll look it up again if you want to see it for yourself.

how the hell do you seperate cheese from a pizza?

I either eat it off first (which isn't that hard... but it does make me look funny) or I take it off with a utensil (the easiest way), or in the case of home-made pizzas I don't add the cheese at all (although then I guess it isn't exactly a pizza).

God forbid we let interest groups practice their 1st amendment rights.

Let us police ourselves from being fooled by their ridiculous statements.

There isn't really such a thing as unhealthy food [unless its poisoned etc] - just unhealthy eating habits. It is really up to individuals and families to make those decisions and acquire good habits.

The more government takes care of people, the more dependent they get on government from a young age, thinking of it in a benevolent paternal role. Eventually, they get the habit of thinking "I got a problem - how can government solve that?" which is not good in a free country.

I am calling rubbish on this argument. The government's role is to protect people and sometimes they need to protect people from themselves. Having an healthy food option at public schools is certainly in the best interest of the government and the people. Being in the hands of corporations is not good for the people. Don't forget that the US constitution starts off with "We the people" and thus the government should be doing it's best for the people. I certainly would not allow every thing to be done by the "market".

I am just going to point out that this bill does not say that pizza is a vegetable. It says that tomatoe paste is (and it is), and that the amount of it on a pizza using it constitutes on serving of a vegetable.

But yes, the latter hype does make for a better thread :)

The way that this happened is political corruption at its most pervasive, but tomato sauce is a portion of fruit/vegetable... Nobody in the US government actually declared pizza a vegetable.

EDIT: x-post with Patroklos.

Top Bottom