Placement of resources in Solar System plots.

raxo2222

Time Traveller
What resources should be placed on Moon/Mars/other planets/rest of solar system?

I recently changed Moon on my test map to contain only iron, titanium, bauxite and Helium 3

Heres pics of my solar system in this link
Shame this prehistoric forums doesn't support imgur albums.

Good question. I haven't really thought about it. At this time those resources are good for keeping the map interesting, but they won't be useful for anything. Maybe putting a few resources on other planets will induce me to find ways to make use of them. As for other areas, it seems that a couple new map bonuses would be needed. Organic Volatiles would be appropriate for the Kuiper Belt, for instance.

I noticed that all the planets are red. Why is that?

Good question. I haven't really thought about it. At this time those resources are good for keeping the map interesting, but they won't be useful for anything. Maybe putting a few resources on other planets will induce me to find ways to make use of them. As for other areas, it seems that a couple new map bonuses would be needed. Organic Volatiles would be appropriate for the Kuiper Belt, for instance.

I noticed that all the planets are red. Why is that?
Well Helium 3 could be on all gas giants and poles of Mercury for example.

Also no idea why all planets are red. Maybe I need to clean your module or something.
Also galaxies/stars/planets still have temporary textures.
Edit: purged your module, and still planets are red. Its like you forgot to actually update terrain xml files or something.
Also footstep sounds arent needed
Only most distant zones seem to be updated..

Last edited:
OK, I'll look into the red planet issue and try to figure out what is going on.

As for the temporary textures for galaxies, stars, and planets, yes, I know about that. I will need some help in getting better artwork there.

OK, I'll look into the red planet issue and try to figure out what is going on.

As for the temporary textures for galaxies, stars, and planets, yes, I know about that. I will need some help in getting better artwork there.
I directed you at Space Engine some time before.
This is universe generator, that generates procedually planets, stars, galaxies and other stuff.

Edit: purged your module, and still planets are red. Its like you forgot to actually update terrain xml files or something.

Is this happening in WorldBuilder or in actual gameplay? The planets look fine (or at least the proper colors) to me. Is anyone else having this issue?

Also footstep sounds arent needed

Agreed. I'll get rid of them. Spaceships don't "walk" on these planets.

I directed you at Space Engine some time before.
This is universe generator, that generates procedually planets, stars, galaxies and other stuff.

Thanks for reminding me. I took a look at it but haven't had the time to explore in great detail. Can I generate/extract NIF files from Space Engine?

Aren't these in the Final Frontier Mod included in vanilla civ?

I think that's where the Asteroid and Black Hole models came from. While on the subject, at some point the Maglev and Jumplane models were changed from the Final Frontier versions to their present form. Are the FF models still available? I would like to use them for Wormhole routes.

Is this happening in WorldBuilder or in actual gameplay? The planets look fine (or at least the proper colors) to me. Is anyone else having this issue?

Agreed. I'll get rid of them. Spaceships don't "walk" on these planets.

Thanks for reminding me. I took a look at it but haven't had the time to explore in great detail. Can I generate/extract NIF files from Space Engine?

I think that's where the Asteroid and Black Hole models came from. While on the subject, at some point the Maglev and Jumplane models were changed from the Final Frontier versions to their present form. Are the FF models still available? I would like to use them for Wormhole routes.

1. That happens in both game and worldbuilder.

3. Well not direct export but you can make screenshoot, and then make it texture without making graphics from scrath.

OK, I'd like to put out a request for help in resolving this issue. I'm guessing there is some sort of SVN syncing issue. First, does anyone besides me see the planets in their proper colors? For instance, Uranus ("Ice Giant") should look like a pale blue, and Neptune ("Cold Ice Giant") should be a deep blue color. If they appear red and look like Mars, then that's wrong.

Anyone who sees the outer planets as red, please check the following. We'll check Neptune as a test case. First, in the C2C installation, look up Assets/Modules/Pepper2000/Pepper2000_CIV4TerrainInfos.xml and go to line 1191. It should be under TERRAIN_NEPTUNE. Does the line say
Code:
<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_TERRAIN_NEPTUNE</ArtDefineTag>
? It should. Second, take a look at the file Pepper2000_CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain.xml (same folder). Lines 441-464 should look this this:
Spoiler :
Code:
<TerrainArtInfo>
            <Type>ART_DEF_TERRAIN_NEPTUNE</Type>
            <Path>Art/Terrain/Textures/neptune.dds</Path>
            <Grid>Art/Terrain/Textures/grid.dds</Grid>
            <Detail>Art/Terrain/Textures/plainsdetail.dds</Detail>
            <Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/WorldBuilder/neptune.dds</Button>
            <LayerOrder>41</LayerOrder>
            <AlphaShader>0</AlphaShader>
            <TextureBlend01>8,0</TextureBlend01>
            <TextureBlend02>1,0</TextureBlend02>
            <TextureBlend04>6,0</TextureBlend04>
            <TextureBlend08>5,0</TextureBlend08>
            <TextureBlend03>2,0</TextureBlend03>
            <TextureBlend06>10,0</TextureBlend06>
            <TextureBlend12>12,0</TextureBlend12>
            <TextureBlend09>9,0</TextureBlend09>
            <TextureBlend07>3,0</TextureBlend07>
            <TextureBlend14>14,0</TextureBlend14>
            <TextureBlend13>11,0</TextureBlend13>
            <TextureBlend11>4,0</TextureBlend11>
            <TextureBlend10>7,0</TextureBlend10>
            <TextureBlend05>13,0</TextureBlend05>
            <TextureBlend15>15,0 16,0 17,0 18,0 19,0 20,0 21,0 22,0 23,0 24,0 25,0 26,0 27,0 28,0 29,0 30,0 31,0 32,0</TextureBlend15>
        </TerrainArtInfo>

Finally, take a look at the file Assets/Modules/Pepper2000/art/terrain/textures/neptune.dds. Does the file exist, and is it blue? There is free software called Dxtbmp that can be used to view and edit DDS textures.

If the answer to any of these questions is no, then somehow my update to the SVN didn't sync up properly, or your download didn't. If the answers to all these questions is yes, then I remain stumped.

Attached is a screenshot from WorldBuilder, with Neptune in its proper color.

Attachments

• neptune.png
    neptune.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
Have you added the file to the svn yet? New files, of course, need to have the +add command used on them so they'll commit when you go to commit next. That is often how files end up not gettin to the SVN despite best intentions.

I don't see any of the relevant files listed as unversioned by TortoiseSVN, and if a DDS file was missing wouldn't we see pink blobs or something? But at any rate, that's why I asked to see if someone else could check because I don't know for sure.

Even more strange, I just noticed that the terrains appear to be the right color on the minimap in raxo's screenshots.

It's up to you. For now I would take them out, until we have a plan for how we will do extraterrestrial map resources.

It's up to you. For now I would take them out, until we have a plan for how we will do extraterrestrial map resources.
Okay, so I'll clean solar system sectrors from unneeded resources.
But it seems helium 3 and CO2 can be extracted in space, so I'll leave these resources

Also the Moon NEEDS Titanium, Bauxite OR Iron for at least 1 city. He3 on the Moon should also be a thing. CO2 doesn't belong on the Moon, but I can see it on the poles of Mars. The Asteroid belt contains quite a lot of Platinum or Iron and I could see a Platinum Mine there that generates quite a lot of :gold: as a building.

Also the Moon NEEDS Titanium, Bauxite OR Iron for at least 1 city. He3 on the Moon should also be a thing. CO2 doesn't belong on the Moon, but I can see it on the poles of Mars. The Asteroid belt contains quite a lot of Platinum or Iron and I could see a Platinum Mine there that generates quite a lot of :gold: as a building.
Well Moon is sorted already, so I'll leave it as is, and remove all resources in solar system except CO2 from Mars.
@pepper2000 what about quantonium resource, that gets unlocked in Transhuman era?
All it does is increase commerce yield on its tile, but it isn't needed for anything else
CO2 is needed for Lunar Parcology. I guess by then when I could build that building, there would be direct trade within inner solar system.
Helium3 isn't needed for any space buildings, and 2 eathly buildings can use hydrogen instead of helium3 anyway.

by the way when we can build "roads" on planets?

Last edited:
Top Bottom