Placing cities on Resources

Carazycool

Warlord
Does anyone know what happens when you place cities on resources in Civ VI? Does it remove the resource? Or do you still get access to it?

both lux and bonus resources have been settled on by YT-ers.... they remain (you get the amenities from lux resources for example). So probably the same will go for strategic resources. You do not get any further improvements from that resource though.. (no boost from watermill to rice for example)

Actually, the game doesn't allow you to found cities /constructing districts / wonders on luxuries / known strategic resources. If you've not discovered the tech revealing the stategic resource it gets auto connected upon discovery of the tech by the above.

Bonus resources get destroyed by founding cities on them / constructing districts / wonders.

I don't think that is true. Filthyrobot settled on rice in one of his playthroughs (I think Spain?) and got an extra food in his capitol. The resource was not removed, but as Lord Katana said, it did not benefit from the watermill +1 food bonus.

Bonus resources are not removed when founding cities (they are removed when building districts and wonders), and (as pwoz notes) some YT streamers have settled cities on known luxuries, bonus resources and (IIRC) strategics. Whether settling on a bonus resource makes sense depends on the base yield of the tile before the city is settled. If the tile (with the bonus resource) provides no more than 2 food and 1 hammer, settling on the bonus resource tile confers no benefit (since founding the city just increases the city center tile yield to the minimum of 2 food and 1 hammer, if the base yield is less than 2 food and 1 hammer). If, however, a bonus resource tile has a base yield that is higher than 2 food or 1 hammer, that excess yield is preserved. So, for example, settling a city on a flat grassland cattle tile (base yield 3 food) will result in a city center tile yield of 3 food and 1 hammer (and the extra food benefits you all game long, in contrast to the short-term boost you would get if you settled on another tile and harvested the cattle instead).

As an aside, that is why settling on a plains hill is so beneficial -- because a plains hill has a base tile yield of 1 food and 2 hammers, settling on a plains hill will result in a city center tile yield of 2 food and 2 hammers. In contrast, settling on a grassland hill (where the base yield is already 2 food/1 hammer) or a desert hill (where the base yield is just 1 hammer) results in a city center tile yield of 2 food/1 hammer.

Thanks for the info guys! Soon enough I can tinker around and learn all these ins and outs myself.

Top Bottom