1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Plagues and the Columbian Exchange.

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Greywulf, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

I'm wondering about how to best include 2 historical things: 1) Plagues, like what terrans experienced during the dreaded 14th Century. 2) Columbian Exchange diseases.

Regarding the Plague idea, there could be either an automatically generated plague at a set time period or randomly at some point during the game, or perhaps it could be in direct relation to city health. If a city gets too low with health, maybe there would be a chance to start a plague, which would then spread to every city and unit it can reach ~ if you are isolated from it, you shouldn't get effected. The latter idea seems more logical to me, but not sure how it would play out in the game. Would that make plagues very common in some games, or non-existent in others, depending on how people play? It might be better that way anyway, as then you are not randomly hit by a plague no matter how healthy you make your people. Which seems better to you?

Regarding the Columbian Exchange, it could mean that when landing units onto a water-locked continent that is at least a certain distance away from where your continent is, then the first civ you get in contact with might automatically get hit with a plague that will not affect you or anyone else from your continent...Not sure how difficult that would be to implement, but it's one idea. But how damaging would this plague be for them? Would it be too unfair? Would the colonials get some negative too? This could open the door to deliberate biological warfare when players attempt to take on a New World style continent, which again would be realistic, but is it fair to players who are New World civs? Real history would dictate that these plagues would be extremely devastating, so we would need to toned down for fairness sake in this game.

Another factor that should be important is whether or not the cities are healthy. If someone has put a lot of work into making their cities healthy, the plague should have a lesser effect on them. On the other hand, if someone's cities are of poor health, obviously the plague would then be more damaging to them.

The importance of these historical events is huge, as it really did forever change history for humankind. Therefore, it makes sense to include these into a game that is based on our history.

2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I'm all for incorporating this kind of mechanic in the game, as long as the diseases don't only affect Amerindian Civs (like the Aztec, Maya, Inca, Iroquois, Cree, Mapuche, etc...)
    Several other parts of the world were hit badly by diseases brought by Europeans (ex: Australia, parts of Oceania, the Andaman Islands, Siberia, maybe even Southern Africa, I'm not too sure about the last one....).

Something similar to Civ4's Health mechanics could work, and the diseases will be better handled once a Civ researches certain technologies on the Tech Tree. Hospitals should be a building in some district (maybe a revamped Aqueduct district?).

Alexander's Hetaroi and Greywulf like this.
  3. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

I don't think it should be contingent on which civ you play as at all...that would seem kinda racist if they did that. I was thinking that whatever civ you choose (Arabia, Germany, Aztec, Egypt, etc...), if you happen to be on an isolated continent that is far away from the other continent, and someone from the other continent lands on your continent and contacts you, then there could be a disease that only effects civs from your continent. The same would happen if you were the one to land on the other continent first. Might be just a once-off thing, and we wouldn't want it to be too profound, as if it damages you too much then that would be unfair. Might be historically realistic for say 90% of everyone to die, but that wouldn't be balanced for the game.
    Also, what should happen in return to the colonist civ? It was an exchange after all, which included both sides exchanging diseases.

I just had a thought that this could open the door to resource exchange, like how horses suddenly became available in the Americas from the exchange. That might mean one side is waiting a very long time for horses however..

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Yes please.
    Medical Branch: Adjacency bonus for food from other districts or farms? Needs to be adjacent to a city center. There could be a better name for it.
    First Building: Aqueduct (Bath for Rome) Same as currently.
    Second Building: Apothecary at Guilds: Can help out by restoring health in a siege and reducing the chance of a plague based off of adjacency bonus.
    Third building is city exclusive:
    Hospital at Sanitation: Restore even more health during a siege and reduces the chance of a plague but loses amenities in the process. (Nobody likes staying in hospitals) Exclusive with the Public Clinic
    Public Clinic at Chemistry? or another technology we don't have: Restore even more health during a siege and reduces the chance of a plague but loses gold in the process. (They are free so no money) Exclusive with the Hospital.

Greywulf likes this.
  5. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

I like your ideas. Thank you for your support!

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.