Plane crash leaves Poland without a President

@ Azale - Why? Because most of TV-enhanced politicians can be described as spineless. They enjoy excessive spending (parties, "conferences", hiring family members, ludicrous waste of public money, one particular moron was recently exposed "using" 200l of fuel per 100km - why not, taxpayers will pay as usual) as long as it does not become major scandal (minor they apparently can handle...). But they'd be utterly horrified and rather retire than say: "Sorry, voters, we need to buy new, really expensive planes". Until today, with crisis-talking chased by ever-growing populism this would be considered suicide. And a field day for various rags. Considering most of our politicians appeal to the voters at rag-reader level (well, it's easier, isn't it?), you can imagine the result.

So? So amazingly, no one had the courage to advocate such spendings openly for friggin years. You can even hear history laughing now - some of those people might have prevented their own deaths by showing some stones earlier. Sadly, many more died instead. And NOW we will certainly get new planes - with a disgusting amount of hypocrisy as a bonus.

@TheLastOne36: ever tried to explain meaning of ":lol:" ?
offtopic: "get near them and blow them up"??? with what? lances? sticky grenades no one actually had? blazing charge with molotov's coctails? Regardless, I think World History section could use some amusement instead ;)

warpus said:
For those of you who don't know, they were flying to mark the 70th anniversary of the Katyn massacre.. A place where 20,000 high-ranking Polish officers were murdered by the Russians.. a very sad day in the history of Poland.
Katyn is a place were 4,500 Polish officers were shot by Communists from all over the USSR, commanded by a Georgian Stalin and IIRC Beria (also a Georgian). The remaining 15,000 are burried elsewhere in the Soviet Union.

I really doubt this was any sort of plot by the Russians.. that wouldn't make any sense at all.. If anything it might even bring the two countries closer together.. It is no secret that the two have had a very shaky relationship since the end of communism.. Putin appointed himself as the chief investigator of this tragedy, from what I read in an article..
I fail to see how. The masses are already making up their own mind about the whole thing. Western media helps.

@ Azale - Why? Because most of TV-enhanced politicians can be described as spineless. They enjoy excessive spending (parties, "conferences", hiring family members, ludicrous waste of public money, one particular moron was recently exposed "using" 200l of fuel per 100km - why not, taxpayers will pay as usual) as long as it does not become major scandal (minor they apparently can handle...). But they'd be utterly horrified and rather retire than say: "Sorry, voters, we need to buy new, really expensive planes". Right now, when crisis-talking is chased by ever-growing populism this would be considered suicide. And a field day for various rags. Considering most of our politicians appeal to the voters at rag-reader level (well, it's easier, isn't it?), you can imagine the result.

So? So amazingly, no one had the courage to advocate such spendings openly for friggin years. You can even hear history laughing now - some of those people might have prevented their own deaths by showing some stones earlier. Sadly, many more died instead.

Yeah - everyone so far was afraid to buy new governmental planes, being afraid of opposition accusing them of 'byzantine spending'. Well - this might be a harsh lesson telling that there are some things where common sense is more important than PR.

Katyn is a place were 4,500 Polish officers were shot by Communists from all over the USSR, commanded by a Georgian Stalin and IIRC Beria (also a Georgian). The remaining 15,000 are burried elsewhere in the Soviet Union.

Yeah, so around 20,000 murdered total. I don't get what you're getting at here, it doesn't contradict anything I said.

I fail to see how. The masses are already making up their own mind about the whole thing. Western media helps.

The Russian government is reacting well to this... With relations so strained it only takes a couple idiots to make it even worse, you're right, maybe I'm just being hopeful..

Yeah, so around 20,000 murdered total. I don't get what you're getting at here, it doesn't contradict anything I said.
I just thought the use of better terms would make your statements closer to actual history.

The Russian government is reacting well to this... With relations so strained it only takes a couple idiots to make it even worse, you're right, maybe I'm just being hopeful..
There are too many people just waiting to exploit the situation. We'll have to wait and see.

I just thought the use of better terms would make your statements closer to actual history.

Doesn't matter, Russia killed most of our officials and people actually capable of fighting a war.

My great grandfather was sent to Katyn as he was a general in the Polish Army, he got off the train to Katyn to do something(don't remember what) and missed his train and didn't get killed.

I might not exist if he died as IIRC he was the one that introduced my Grandfather to my Grandmother.

So who will replace the President? His twin brother?

I hope it won't destroy completely their relationship to Russia.
Apprently, according to my local Swedish Public Service news, since Poland doesn't have a VP, it will be the Speaker och Sejm stepping up temporariily. And as it happens it's said he's the guy topping the polls in the upcoming presidential elections.

Good looking plane, I have to say. Too bad the people who bought them usually neglected maintaining them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2081143.stm
Was that meant to be sarcastic, since the quote and the article suggest just the opposite?

Since its service entry, some 28 Tu-154s have been lost in accidents, a figure about normal for the quantity, years of service and technology of the type.

The Tu-154 operates in regions with not very good air traffic control and navigation equipment, and in very difficult weather conditions.

The Tu-154 accidents include a number that have little relation to the aircraft.

Was that meant to be sarcastic, since the quote and the article suggest just the opposite?

Not really, I just forgot to add bad pilots, bad safety standards, bad air traffic control, terrorists, missiles and just bad luck. It seems like everything except the design flaws, are resposinsible for those crashes.

My condolences.

In the region of Brazil that I live there was a strong polish migration, so I have a lot of friends of polish descendancy. This was quite a shock.

It's interesting that we had a similar discussion in Brazil about the government buying a new plane. President Lula bought a new one during his first mandate and he suffered a lot of critics for doing it, saying that it was unnecessary expenses. It was one of the most used arguments by the opposition in the election that reelected Lula.

My best wishes to the polish people, hope you can recover from this horrible tragedy.

Not really, I just forgot to add bad pilots, bad safety standards, bad air traffic control, terrorists, missiles and just bad luck. It seems like everything except the design flaws, are resposinsible for those crashes.
It apparently isn't lack of proper maintenance as you alleged, especially in this particular case.

Doesn't matter, Russia killed most of our officials and people actually capable of fighting a war.
USSR killed Polish officers. Polish military killed 1000's of Soviet POVs of Polish-Soviet war. Do you want to go back further into history?

My great grandfather was sent to Katyn as he was a general in the Polish Army, he got off the train to Katyn to do something(don't remember what) and missed his train and didn't get killed.
Cool. My family actually had people massacred by Bolsheviks. Consider yourself lucky.

I might not exist if he died as IIRC he was the one that introduced my Grandfather to my Grandmother.
True, but this example is valid for many millions of us.

What I said was spot on.
Then, I'm afraid, you were wrong.

My condolences.

In the region of Brazil that I live there was a strong polish migration, so I have a lot of friends of polish descendancy. This was quite a shock.

It's interesting that we had a similar discussion in Brazil about the government buying a new plane. President Lula bought a new one during his first mandate and he suffered a lot of critics for doing it, saying that it was unnecessary expenses. It was one of the most used arguments by the opposition in the election that reelected Lula.

My best wishes to the polish people, hope you can recover from this horrible tragedy.

You live in Parana or Santa Catarina?

Top Bottom