Plane crash leaves Poland without a President

Czech Rep. had used the same type of plane for VIP transport until about 3 years ago. They were pretty old and increasingly faulty, so the gov. bought few Airbuses to replace them. I see it was a good investment.

However, this was likely not caused by a mechanical failure - it seems the pilot simply screwed up.

Czech Rep. had used the same type of plane for VIP transport until about 3 years ago. They were pretty old and increasingly faulty, so the gov. bought few Airbuses to replace them. I see it was a good investment.

However, this was likely not caused by a mechanical failure - it seems the pilot simply screwed up.

The weather was horrible - 0.5km visibility - they tried to land 4 times, apparently hitting a tree in the process..

You live in Parana or Santa Catarina?

Actually, I live in Rio Grande do Sul. These three states are the most southern ones from Brazil and the ones who received the most part of the german, italian and polish immigrants.

The polish migration to Rio Grande do Sul wan't as strong as the ones in Santa Catarina and Parana, though.

It's very impolite of you to be steering the conversation in this direction at this time.

I rest my case, but you are right, it is a tragic day. Lets discuss other things another time.

I have a feeling that this will become official version regardless of any other details.

Although it's reallly hard to imagine seasoned pilot trying to land 4 times in such weather just for the heck of it. Ignoring advice from the tower. Risking so many people on board on his own.

LOL, colorfully as close to the "line" as the moderators will allow. Glad to see someone not mince words -- good form.

Moderator Action: The moderators did NOT allow. Offensive content removed.

I have a feeling that this will become official version regardless of any other details.

Although it's reallly hard to imagine seasoned pilot trying to land 4 times in such weather just for the heck of it. Ignoring advice from the tower. Risking so many people on board on his own.

Yeah who knows. Perhaps it was some of these prominent passengers who demanded that he landed the plane in the fog.

Just speculating.

There was a bunch of historians on that plane, and a good portion of historically prominent people!
A great loss!

It is hard to imagine a greater disaster for Poland.

I could imagine the President ordering him to land anyway.. We should know what really happened once the black box gets analyzed (they retrieved it already)

Some updates:

"Let's not seek the responsible ones right now. Those who believe in god, should pray", says the mayor of Warsaw (i found this odd coming from religious Poland.. maybe warsaw is a bit less religious than the rest of the country?)

Live feed from Polish TV covering the tragedy - right now there is a mass in progress (hey, some of you speak/understand Polish)

All main Polish portal sites are now in black and white - wp.pl, onet.pl, gazeta.pl, interia.pl, and The President's website -

if you were quoting me i was wrong, sources differ on how many landing attempts were made. Judging by satellite photos the plane crashed 1-2km from the runway. It looks like the pilot didnt really know where he was and was just looking for land, trying to make his way through the forest eventually. Which didnt work out well.

As for the reason, am i correct that Kaczynski wasnt even invited to the whatever event Russia and Poland had planned? Which would explain his hastiness.

bought few Airbuses to replace them. I see it was a good investment.

Can you explain this one. If it was a human factor, then buying Airbuses was a huge money waste. And if it was a mechanical failure then your post is selfcontradicting. If it helps the Tu-154 is also a VIP transport for the Chinese. Its a safe plane, not optimal on fuel consumption though.

A sad day for Eastern Europe

Aww, I wanted to say that.

Tough blow to Poland, I don't care much for the president but its still sad, and some of those guys were probably good, sane, people. Hopefully they will be mourned without conspiracy theories and the like and Poland will have a peaceful interim period.

Warpus, calm down mang. We're taking the michael. At the end of the day, not matter how great a tragedy this is for Poland, this guy is an impersonal figurehead, and I would expect little else from CFC no matter who generally died; humour cures all ills dude.

if you were quoting me i was wrong

Actually I was commenting Winner's post, which you quote in yours, which reminds me to quote more in the future:)

And you're correct, right now I can see "it was a second, not fourth landing attempt" version being circulated.

As for the reason, am i correct that Kaczynski wasnt even invited to the whatever event Russia and Poland had planned? Which would explain his hastiness.

For some - most likely petty - reasons the events were planned to take place in two stages. First part already happened quite recently with both Prime Ministers present. From what I recall President was indeed expected during the second part, but the idea of hastiness being the probable cause still can have its merits.

I don't have the vocabulary to describe how sad this news is. Since everyone has already expressed condolences for the Polish people, I will express mine for the families of those who died.

Warpus, calm down mang. We're taking the michael. At the end of the day, not matter how great a tragedy this is for Poland, this guy is an impersonal figurehead, and I would expect little else from CFC no matter who generally died; humour cures all ills dude.

If it was only the President and any of the jokes were actually funny, then I might even agree with you.

But instead of just the President dying today, Poland basically lost all of her major political and military leadership, important historians & historical figures, parlimentary members, senators, not to mention the archbishop and leader of our olympic committee.

Here's a full list again, for your convenience:

Lech Kaczyński, President of Poland
Maria Kaczyńska, First Lady of Poland
Andrzej Błasik, Chief of the Polish Air Force
Krystyna Bochenek, Deputy Speaker of the Senat
Major General Tadeusz Buk, Commander of the Polish Land Forces
Archbishop Miron Chodakowski, Orthodox Ordinary of the Polish Army
Leszek Deptuła, member of the Sejm
Grzegorz Dolniak, member of the Sejm
Janina Fetlińska, member of the Senat
General Franciszek Gągor, Chief of the Polish Army General Staff
Grażyna Gęsicka, member of the Sejm
Przemysław Gosiewski, member of the Sejm
Mariusz Handzlik, Undersecretary of State in the Office of the President of the Republic of Poland
Izabela Jaruga-Nowacka, member of the Sejm
Ryszard Kaczorowski, the last President of the Polish government-in-exile
Sebastian Karpiniuk, member of the Sejm
Vice Admiral Andrzej Karweta, Commander-in-chief of the Polish Navy
Janusz Kochanowski, Polish Ombudsman for Citizen Rights
Andrzej Kremer, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
Janusz Kurtyka, Historian and president of the Institute of National Remembrance
Aleksandra Natalli-Świat, member of the Sejm
Piotr Nurowski, President of the Polish Olympic Committee
Maciej Płażyński, President of the Polish Community Association
Tadeusz Płoski, bishop of the Military Ordinariate of the Polish Army
Krzysztof Putra, Deputy Speaker of the Sejm
Andrzej Przewoźnik, Secretary-General of the Council for the Protection of Struggle and Martyrdom Sites
Ryszard Rumianek, Rector of the Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University
Arkadiusz Rybicki, member of the Sejm
Sławomir Skrzypek, President of the National Bank of Poland
Władysław Stasiak, Chief of the Office of the President of the Republic of Poland
Aleksander Szczygło, head of the National Security Bureau
Jerzy Szmajdziński, Deputy Speaker of the Sejm
Jolanta Szymanek-Deresz, member of the Sejm
Anna Walentynowicz, free trade union activist, member of Solidarity
Zbigniew Wassermann, member of the Sejm
Wiesław Woda, member of the Sejm
Edward Wojtas, member of the Sejm
Paweł Wypych, Secretary of State in the Office of the President of the Republic of Poland
Stanisław Zając, member of the Senat

The only good joke I read so far was the eastern europe one. That actually made me laugh. The rest of y'all attempting to be funny can all go to hell

Top Bottom