1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Plane warfare

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by web25, Apr 11, 2013.

1. web25

web25 Warlord

how does air superiority work?

I also found out bombing does really work.

any tips and strategies to share?

2. Homerus

Homerus Chieftain

Air superiority means that you have a shot in taking down the enemy bomber when attacking your city. And i'm a 'bomber' as well.. probably a stack of artillery is more mobile and effective, but nothing is more fun then using 25 bombers to clear the way for the lads on the ground :lol:

3. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Stacking Flak/Mobile SAM in your cities will increase the chance to take down enemy bombers. So will certain city improvements (SAM missile battery). I don't build them however.

The best way to get Air Superiority to work is to build airfields in your territory and station interceptors there. In my experience they do not function properly from cities. You may also station them onboard carriers outside your coastline.

Oh - and the shortkey for AS is S btw.

4. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

Really, loads and loads of bombers is something you can't go wrong with. There have actually been games where players have built nothing but one soldier and bombers on top of it and won; the lethal bombardment ability is extremely effective and with enough bombers it's way overpowered. A single stack of the things in the dozens can rule a continent with ease.

AA units don't stand a chance against enough bombers. If your economy can take the loss, just bomb the crud out of the Flak guns. AI never thinks to build loads of them.

5. GeneralMeng

GeneralMeng Warlord

ai never build enough of anything that is useful. human always outsmart ai, but ai has the massive build bonus at high difficulties. i think ai only build like 5 fighters against my 50 bombers :p at a certain point, my bombers just kill off all their defences