1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PlaneScape Torment is now on GoG!

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Maniacal, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

2. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Epic, epic epic... But I still think I'll wait for a 5$ tag.

3. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

The banner said it's the second most wanted game on GoG - whats the first ?

4. Say_my_name

Say_my_name Warlord

System Shock 2

5. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

I highly recommend Planescape Torment for anyone interested in RPGs with a darker atmosphere. I played it for the first time earlier this year. Afterwards, I tried Baldur's Gate but couldn't stand it - it felt so shallow and generic compared to P:T.

6. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

PS:T is the best game ever made in my opinion. Such an interesting setting, compelling plot and perfect pace.

7. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Ok ok... Maybe I'll have to get it even if it's not 5$ yet.

8. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

'nuff said.
    Best. Game. EVER.

9. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

If you do, make sure to get the three fan patches by Qwinn ("fixpack" fixes bugs, "unfinished business" restores quests that were removed and/or incomplete in the original, "tweaks" lets you tweak some gameplay rules (some of the tweaks are controversial, but you can decide for each pone whether you want it). Also, Ghostdog's UI mod (which allows to play with a higher resolution) is highly recommended.

Also, after you played it, come back and tell us ... what can change the nature of a man?

(No, I'm not answering that here. That would be a spoiler.)

10. xenobiotic

xenobiotic Chieftain

Fantastic storyline and rping, but the gameplay itself is pretty bland. If you play BG2 its hard to enjoy the combat in planescape.

I think the game could have been done much better outside of the infinity engine DnD format.

11. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Actually that was one of the very complaints I have with the game, and here I was thinking I'm rather alone with it ... ;)

I don't mind the Infinity engine with regard to its presentation, but I think that the AD&D rule system with all its infinite idiosyncrasies, and exceptions slapped on exceptions held together with special limitations which then gets levered out by another exception, detracts from the storyline rather than supporting it. AD&D permanently invites you to game the system instead of playing the game. I also think that AD&D's rigid system of alignments is not a good fit for the characters of planescape (which exhibit all kinds of shades of gray).

On the other hand, implementing the most popular pen&paper ruleset of their time certainly contributed to the success of Baldur's Gate, and an AD&D-less Planescape:Torment is hard to imagine anyway considering that its whole setting is taken from the AD&D's (failed) attempt to establish a multiverse of connected worlds with its Planescape franchise.

12. LightSpectra

The combat is rubbish. The sweetness of the game is the dialogue, characters and visuals.

13. DirtyFinger

DirtyFinger Prince

Planescape:Torment had the best spell animations I have ever seen - and by that time I had played Final Fantasy 7.

They even managed to make spells that were by tradition (and still are) visually boring into a feast for the eyes, like the level 1 cleric spell 'spiritual hammer', which is a basic missile damage spell. Really great animation.

And don't even mention the epic spells, which were so cool that they had to play movies do them justice. They didn't just look gorgeous, they were pretty original, too!
    Like the Mechanus Cannon, which starts in another plane of existence by firing a gigantic cannon into a dimensional portal, which opens directly in front of your enemy.

Simply awesome! Never seen anything like that ever again.

14. LightSpectra

Yeah but that one spell that starts off with the Dungeon Master is so narmy that it almost ruined the ending for me.

15. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

Owing to the the frying of my computer :)sad:R.I.P.) I have to currently use a stone-age machine and thought it a good time to check out the PS:T.
    Can anyone tell me, is there a way to give items from one party member to another short of dropping them?

And since I am completely new to AD&D rules - any good starting guides?

16. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

It's not super important to understand the rules in depth... Maybe the least obvious thing is the way spells are used. They need to be copied from scrolls to add to your spell book. You can only cast a certain number of spells per day. So to refresh and cast them again you have to rest. Also, when you level up, you gain a random number of hit points determined on your class. Fighters gain 1-10 hit points... So basically you can save before levelling up and re-level up until you get the maximum... Lame. Which is why I used a mod that makes it the maximum all the time. Even when I played AD&D in real life, I made people re-roll when they got any number in the lower half for their hit points roll. You also have to identify magic items. Right click on them to know if they are magical (you would see the IDENTIFY option there).

I dunno, I've been playing PS:T for the last week and I haven't really thought of the AD&D rules as I was doing so.

Here are the basic concepts anyway

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=36463

As for transfering item, if I remember well, you have to go in the first character's inventory, click on the item, dump it on the second character's portrait (bottom of the screen).

17. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

They also added the original Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. (Both have all their expansions)

Now if they only added BG2 and Icewind Dale II, ah, then I would never get any work done, but it will probably be worth it. :D

18. Say_my_name

Say_my_name Warlord

They will. It's not entirely official, but it's pretty clear that they will add all games based on the Infinity Engine this year.

19. Say_my_name

Say_my_name Warlord

20. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms