1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Planned Economy Effect: Unhappiness dropping to 0, not only to 50%

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Korias, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Korias

Korias Chieftain

The Social Policy Planned Economy is supposed to reduce the :mad: due to number of cities by 50% according to the tooltip. When I purchased this particular one however, it immediately dropped my :mad: due to number of cities to zero, not half of what it's current amount was.

This has happened twice in my games. Can anybody confirm if it's just my copy or if it's really a bug?

2. Korias

Korias Chieftain

Upon further inspection, I also noticed that I had earlier built the Forbidden Palace, which reduces Number of City :mad: by 50% as well. This may well be designer intent.

3. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

can you please post a save, ideally from just before you adopted planned economy?

4. Dusk

Dusk Chieftain

Well it's not a save from when I got the wonder or policy, but it's in effect. 0 unhappiness from cities although I have 13 of them.

It boggles the mind what this could do in the hands of India.

PS: The save is with Babylon and version 1.0.0.17

5. SatanasOz

SatanasOz Chieftain

cannot confirm due to crash - do you have the digital delux version? EDIT: sorry, just read ... screw that really. sorry, then it's up to the ddx guys to confirm ... i'll just go and play with my mini's :rolleyes:

6. Dusk

Dusk Chieftain

There there, it will be alright :pat:

7. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I'd guess designer intent.

8. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Well 50% + 50% = 100% reduction.

It would probably take it to normal levels.

9. SatanasOz

SatanasOz Chieftain

jep, it does. It seems that the "civ bonus" sad faces are added after all other calculations. I build the Forgotten Palace in my game with India and went from 12 to 9 (were 6 to 3 would be the value for a normal civ).

I think I am going down the communism lane later, then I can verify, but as it seems, I am pretty sure it goes down to 6

6-100%=0 from cities and and +6 from India special ability :rolleyes:

10. xcrissxcrossx

xcrissxcrossx Chieftain

I was playing as the Egyptians, and I just discovered a happiness exploit. If you Build the Forbidden palace, and get the Planned Economy civic, your unhappiness from cities will be 0, no matter how many cities you have.

This is potentially exploitable with India, which means they could create an empire with half unhappiness from citizens and none from population.

11. DaveGold

DaveGold Chieftain

Sounds like good play to me. Some of the policies and wonders do combine very well together.

12. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

I suggest testing it with India. Forbidden palace & planned economy both give you -50% of base unhappiness from number of cities, so it does drop to 0 if they're added together. But India has a +100% to base unhappiness, so combining that with the other two gives you the ordinary base unhappiness rate. It does mean Forbidden palace & planned economy would be less effective for India, as having just one gives you 150% of base unhappiness, only a 1/4 discount on India's normal situation. But I think that one is working as intended.

13. SatanasOz

SatanasOz Chieftain

There is allready a thread about this. In short, the penalty from India is added after all modifiers. That means with FP (-50%) and PE (-50%) you get:

n (- 50% n -50% n) + 100% n = 100% n (NORMAL)

Resulting in 100% normal unhappyness, where normaly India would have 200%.

Moderator Action: Thanks for the hint with the thread, i totally forgot about it. Threads merged. The_J