1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Planning Cities - What's Your Strategy?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Strategy & Tips' started by jadelicia, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Woodswallow

Woodswallow Chieftain

I'm fussy with cities - how I'd go in a multiplayer game I don't know (does appeasement work?). I like to have cities well seperated with NO OVERLAP!:mad: by the time I've built my first few cities I'll start cranking out settler units & send them to the most desirable real-estate I can find. By stacking these units on a square you can really speed up development time. If any marauders or other nasties are in the area I always have good defensive units stacked and fortified with my settlers - hopefully within a fort (I always try and get the construction advance asap). One or two of the settlers then build a potential metropolis within the area of improved squares. One or two of the stacked defensive units will end up being handed over to that city.
    For defence I prefer to have a least one defensive unit and one offensive unit
    based in the city; wall-building is often my first priority when my city is near a potential hotspot. The offensive unit can be used to at least damage anything trying to attack the city...

2. Cataphract887

Cataphract887 Prince

youd more get your butt kicked ... :p

my city planning technique:just lay a city down whereever its good.since civ2 dosnt have boreholes theres no reason to plan much

3. Peaster

Peaster Emperor

I haven't seen much serious discussion of MP strategies in these forums, especially wrt cities. I have only played a few PBEMs (in MP mode in course), and only 2 really allowed empire building. Based on my very limited experience, I suggest

* Start off as in an SP game (eg use ICS). Favor sites on rivers, for arrows + defense, or on grass for growth. Cities on hills are OK (for defense) but maybe these are better later.
    * Don't place your capitol, or STC, etc on the coast of a major ocean (it will be harder to defend later). But if you can't find another good spot quickly, the coast is OK.
    * After the first 4 cities or so (depending on map size, your opponents, etc) start planning your defenses. Connect your cities with short roads much earlier than in SP mode. Settlers are faster in MP mode, and so are enemy attacks.
    * Before the skirmishing starts, place most new border cities on hills for defense. Consider the mined city trick - if it is legal, and if you have 2 settlers available.
    If you really need the city to survive, a mountain is even better (it won't grow, but this idea makes sense for an important canal city, for example).
    * Cities from huts are very important, but you have to take what you get, of course.

4. ellie

ellie Emperor

please delete, posted in error