1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Planning on shelling out $29.99 for GK?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Connor Sinulf, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Gre_Magus

Gre_Magus Manet

I figure I'll pay about 15-18 dollars or so when it goes on sale on steam, maybe less.

2. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

That's generally what I have done on most games throughout the decades of playing. I rarely felt the need to play any game "the second that it's released" and usually wait for it to go on sale (no matter how good the game is), whether in stores, online or Steam. For instance, I paid $40 for Skyrim when it went on sale over Christmas and played it for 5 weeks. I wouldn't have any problems paying full price for it but I wasn't ready to play it until after Christmas anyways. Good thing that I am older than the typical gamer - learning patience is a virtue.

Civilization, esp. expansion packs as well as Civ5, is and has always been an exception.

3. WeaselSlapper

WeaselSlapper Chieftain

I used to do this, but now I just pay attention before they are released. NewEgg, Amazon and a few others usually do a presale with a discount since they don't get the in-game goodies that GameStop and Best Buy do usually.

I got Skyrim on presale for $50 and I had it the day after it was released. But for this expansion I'll wait for a Steam sale since I have so little time to play lately anyway.

4. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Chieftain

Who buys boxes of beer?

5. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop Chieftain

Yes. Release Day.

6. snoochems

snoochems Chieftain

I will purchase if it costs $30... But as i live in Australia, and despite the fact our currency has had a greater than parity exchange rate to the USD for some time now, ill probably be asked to pay $60. Screw that.

7. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

i will sit for a minute, let some patches get released, maybe 2 DLC or so, a steam sale.. by then, awesome mods will be released for it, and hopefully the .dll

btw, 30 is fair but i think steam might make it cheaper :)

8. GlobularFoody

GlobularFoody Chieftain

If they fix the horrendous AI, I will buy it full price. That's pretty much it for me, otherwise I will wait for a sale.

9. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

I will probably buy it full price. It depends a bit on the release date of Diablo 3. If Diablo 3 releases at the same time, I will wait for a sale on G&K. If G&K launches well before D3, I might pick it up full-price.

10. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Chieftain

I was impressed by 30 bucks. If my standards should have been higher, tell me, but as far as I'm concerned CiV is a good game in dire need of becoming a great game.

11. cccv

cccv Chieftain

Well, I do.

I don't see what the problem is.

12. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I'm going to wait and get G&K on sale (eventually) if I can. I'm still not playing Civ5 very often, and while I think a good expansion is just what this game needs, I still don't feel like I've gotten the value for my original $60 so I'm not keen on spending much more. (I haven't bought any DLC / map packs / etc, just too much nickel-and-diming and I'd rather not encourage that business model with this franchise.)

13. anandus

anandus Errorist

I'll get it as soon as I can pre-order it.

14. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

At this stage I'd say it's unlikely I'll buy G&K at release. I'll probably wait for a sale, and only if it's decently received by the playerbase.

15. arkguy

arkguy Chieftain

Don't plan on rushing out and buying it right away. Will wait till I see how it changes the game and how it is received first. Now if they eliminate the one unit one resource rule I will certainly be buying it as soon as it comes out.

16. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop Chieftain

..and I thought I was excited to play! I will also pre-order if there is any sort of pre-order bonus (haven't seen expansion pack offer one before though).

17. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

Like a few here have said, I'm probably not going to buy G&K until it goes on sale AND has a good rating from the consumers. CiV has already died once in my eyes with a lack of useful LUA plugs, no DLL (although it'll be more than likely released after the last expansion), terrible gameplay and bugs (the game mechanics has potential, don't get me wrong, but it's lacking heavily in a few areas that makes other areas unplayable for me.). So I have my fingers crossed that this expansion, if not another after G&K, will resuscitate this game and put the flame back into modding civ games for me.

In the mean time I'm gunna be watching from a distance, helping ideas for Civ IV mods and making my own Skyrim mods, etc...

18. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

San Antonio, Tx. http://citybasecinema.com/concessions/

19. Capt Ajax

Capt Ajax Chieftain

YES, I'll pre-order it as soon as it is available. I've pre-ordered all CIV games and expansions since I first discovered CIV II.

I know CIV 5 was a slap in the face, all the DL content "nickle & diming" is insulting BUT like a bad news girlfriend with a hot body, I just cant keep my hands off, I'm addicted to those curves! :groucho:

20. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

I never had any issues with Civ 5, except it got bit tedious and repetitve after a while but that's about i. While I hated the DLCs I ended up buying them all anyways xD