Planning SGOTM 09

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
This looks promising! Gyathaar has asked which Civ variant we should use for SGOTM 09.

So. Does anyone still not have BtS? :p

Agree with erikthecelt and Ozbenno that if Gyathaar sets up another scenario, players will come -- whatever the variant.

I've only played in the last two SGotM, and both have been excellent scenarios with lots of decisions to make and trade offs to balance. I look forward to whatever may be next.

Playing Vanilla now feels a bit like making a phone call on a rotary phone. I find myself wishing for all of the bells and whistles of BtS.

I'll play any version, but prefer BtS.

I would also prefer BtS, as it contains all wonders, all units, all buildings, ...

I would also play Vanilla or Warlords, though :)

I'd have to agree - I'd prefer BtS, but will play any version.

For the record I would prefer BTS as have never played vanilla or warlords.
But happy to play whatever is chosen.
Also, thanks for setting up SGOTM-8 :goodjob:

I would definatly prefer BTS...

I'm quite happy to rotate between vanilla, Warlords & BTS although I have no major objections if we stay on BTS. I would certainly echo the comments of other players that a variant scenario out of the ordinary would be welcome although I realise how difficult they can be to create.

I guess the people who don't have BtS aren't likely to be around these parts right now, since the current game is BtS. So we'd likely have to wait a while for someone to drop by. Personally I definitely prefer BtS, despite the random events.

I suppose the Mac players might be left in the cold though?

Personally I definitely prefer BtS, despite the random events.

Good point. Whilst I know that some Mac players are using bootcamp to run BTS that's not necessarily a desirable option for others. Perhaps Warlords for the next game might be a good compromise. :dunno:

I guess the people who don't have BtS aren't likely to be around these parts right now, since the current game is BtS. So we'd likely have to wait a while for someone to drop by. Personally I definitely prefer BtS, despite the random events.

Mac players of Civ4 are few and far between. The ones that exist fall into two categories:

1. Players with BootCamp and the Windows versions of Civ4 and its variants. I'm guessing they are the majority, and as far as SGOTM game planning is concerned they are indistinguishable from Windows players.

2. Players who steadfastly stick with Mac OS X only. They are restricted to vanilla and Warlords. They would be required to form a Mac-only team for a game using those variants, because they have to run a different HoF Mod; so their saves are incompatible with Windows players. There are so few of them that they have failed to form a quorum for most recent games. However, if enough of them show up here we could maybe consider running a vanilla or Warlords game to include them.

If BTS is used again, would like to see something done to reduce the impact of random events. The scores have been extremely close recently, with order of finish possibly a function of events experienced.

Moreover, once the last SGOTM became advanced, with scores of units from every
AI running around, game crashes were experienced by some of us with older (though supposedly adequate) computers and graphics.

Moreover, once the last SGOTM became advanced, with scores of units from every
AI running around, game crashes were experienced by some of us with older (though supposedly adequate) computers and graphics
How do you suggest that we deal with that? Limit the games to quick, small ones, or ask that players ensure that they have adequate hardware and up to date drivers?

What is the experience of other players?

BtS is my top-pick
How do you suggest that we deal with that?
Finish earlier

Top Bottom