Plans for my epic C2C Let's Play

12padams

Prince
As you know Shen is currently already doing a "lets play" (he prefers not to call it that)... So I might wait a little while before I do mine but for now I will tell you what I plan to do to make mine extra special:

Positives:

1. No turn loading time - I will edit out the 5-10 second+ (it can be up to a minute by the time you reach the modern era) delay between each turn so your never looking at a "waiting for ai" loading screen. During the loading times I obviously won't talk since I am gunna cut it out anyway... I won't cut out enemy attacks on my units or ai player movements that are visible onscreen however otherwise the gameplay will appear choppy.

2. Fast research/construction during low activity times - When I am not moving units or choosing buildings to create within my cities I will obviously not be doing anything interesting. During these times I will probably be waiting for units to be build or waiting to research a technology. So this time will basically consist of me constantly pressing enter for like 10-50 turns depending on how long it takes to research the desired tech or build the chosen building. What I will do here is cut out the ai turn time yet show you each turn for 0.2 seconds. This practically means you will be seeng the tech research and city building bars zoom forward. In other words... There won't be any low activity times ;)

3. Always updated - I will always use the latest SVN version of this mod so I will always have the latest features to play around with.

4. In depth explainations - I will be explaining everything I do, the game mechanics and why I make certain decisions constantly so you clearly know what my goals are.

5. Strong viewer involvement - I will be actively reading every comment I receive and consider advice for my game such as building certain buildings, researching certain techs or taken over certain cities.

6. Viewport Free - I hate view ports so when you watch this lets play you will see the full map at all times.

Negatives:

1. Long period of time between episodes - I personally won't get much time to make this let's play and I will need to spend quite a bit of time editing out "waiting for ai" loading screens between each turn. For this reason you probably will only get to see an hour of gameplay per week. Remember however that this is solid gameplay with no loading time so lots of progress will be made very fast.

2. Potentionally buggy gameplay - Since I will be updating versions very often there may be a few bugs every now and then. The problem is that an old bug can potensionally effect the rest of the game (e.g. AI used to deal with crime poorly but even though that's kind of fixed now old save games will still have ai civs set back by their previously poor planning leading to high crime levels).

3. Obsessive Tech Tree Analysis - I spend a lot of time looking at the tech tree deciding what I want to research. I have a solution to combat this though... What I will do is open the tech tree then pause the recording and unpause it when I'm done deciding everything. I will then quickly explain why I chose what I chose after unpausing before continuing gameplay. (Do you want me to include myself looking through the tech tree in depth? I won't cut it out if you want me to keep that in).

4. Australian accent - What can I say? I'm Australian and don't want to do a fake American accent for the entity of this lets play. So for those that hate Australian voices... You will want to steer clear of this lets play ;)

Extra Information:
- Each episode will include multiple gameplay sessions however this will all be edited together so you won't notice. I will however have a little message appear between game sessions on screen stating the current SVN version I updated to.

- I plan to play with 10 civs on a giant map. Remember that those 10 have the high potential of splitting of due to rebel civs so I may end up with 30. I don't want too many because even though you won't see the loading time I will still have to wait through it myself and if it takes ages then it will be a long wait in between episodes.

- I plan to play on Nobel difficulty (4th easiest) since I am not a fantastic world dominating player.

- I will play with the Australian civilization since I am Australian myself and like to have cities named after those I live around.

- I want to get the first lets play episode started and uploaded on the 9th of October. It may come up before that date but its unlikely. The first episode is always the hardest to prepare for because you need to test recording settings, editing programs and make all those video/audio settings choices. On the 9th of October I have a rostered day off work so I will have time to get this lets play started on that day but probably not any earlier...

Anything you want to say?
Before I start making this lets play do you have any advice for me? Know any really good game settings? Really... Suggest anything you want, I may not do it but I will listen to all advice ;)

P.S Does world size affect ai loading screen/turn time? Or is it just the amount/size of ai civs themselves?

As you know Shen is currently already doing a "lets play" (he prefers not to call it that)... So I might wait a little while before I do mine but for now I will tell you what I plan to do to make mine extra special:

Positives:

1. No turn loading time - I will edit out the 5-10 second+ (it can be up to a minute by the time you reach the modern era) delay between each turn so your never looking at a "waiting for ai" loading screen. During the loading times I obviously won't talk since I am gunna cut it out anyway... I won't cut out enemy attacks on my units or ai player movements that are visible onscreen however otherwise the gameplay will appear choppy.

2. Fast research/construction during low activity times - When I am not moving units or choosing buildings to create within my cities I will obviously not be doing anything interesting. During these times I will probably be waiting for units to be build or waiting to research a technology. So this time will basically consist of me constantly pressing enter for like 10-50 turns depending on how long it takes to research the desired tech or build the chosen building. What I will do here is cut out the ai turn time yet show you each turn for 0.2 seconds. This practically means you will be seeng the tech research and city building bars zoom forward. In other words... There won't be any low activity times ;)

3. Always updated - I will always use the latest SVN version of this mod so I will always have the latest features to play around with.

4. In depth explainations - I will be explaining everything I do, the game mechanics and why I make certain decisions constantly so you clearly know what my goals are.

5. Strong viewer involvement - I will be actively reading every comment I receive and consider advice for my game such as building certain buildings, researching certain techs or taken over certain cities.

6. Viewport Free - I hate view ports so when you watch this lets play you will see the full map at all times.

Negatives:

1. Long period of time between episodes - I personally won't get much time to make this let's play and I will need to spend quite a bit of time editing out "waiting for ai" loading screens between each turn. For this reason you probably will only get to see an hour of gameplay per week. Remember however that this is solid gameplay with no loading time so lots of progress will be made very fast.

2. Potentionally buggy gameplay - Since I will be updating versions very often there may be a few bugs every now and then. The problem is that an old bug can potensionally effect the rest of the game (e.g. AI used to deal with crime poorly but even though that's kind of fixed now old save games will still have ai civs set back by their previously poor planning leading to high crime levels).

3. Obsessive Tech Tree Analysis - I spend a lot of time looking at the tech tree deciding what I want to research. I have a solution to combat this though... What I will do is open the tech tree then pause the recording and unpause it when I'm done deciding everything. I will then quickly explain why I chose what I chose after unpausing before continuing gameplay. (Do you want me to include myself looking through the tech tree in depth? I won't cut it out if you want me to keep that in).

4. Australian accent - What can I say? I'm Australian and don't want to do a fake American accent for the entity of this lets play. So for those that hate Australian voices... You will want to steer clear of this lets play ;)

Extra Information:
- Each episode will include multiple gameplay sessions however this will all be edited together so you won't notice. I will however have a little message appear between game sessions on screen stating the current SVN version I updated to.

- I plan to play with 10 civs on a giant map. Remember that those 10 have the high potential of splitting of due to rebel civs so I may end up with 30. I don't want too many because even though you won't see the loading time I will still have to wait through it myself and if it takes ages then it will be a long wait in between episodes.

- I plan to play on Nobel difficulty (4th easiest) since I am not a fantastic world dominating player.

- I will play with the Australian civilization since I am Australian myself and like to have cities named after those I live around.

- I want to get the first lets play episode started and uploaded on the 9th of October. It may come up before that date but its unlikely. The first episode is always the hardest to prepare for because you need to test recording settings, editing programs and make all those video/audio settings choices. On the 9th of October I have a rostered day off work so I will have time to get this lets play started on that day but probably not any earlier...

Anything you want to say?
Before I start making this lets play do you have any advice for me? Know any really good game settings? Really... Suggest anything you want, I may not do it but I will listen to all advice ;)

P.S Does world size affect ai loading screen/turn time? Or is it just the amount/size of ai civs themselves?

World size does affect turn times, especially later on when the AIs have visibility of much of the world.

I also think you should play above Noble - not asking you to play on deity or anything, but maybe consider jumping up to around Monarch?

I concur with eschewing noble. The game is just plain boring at that diffulcity (in this mod). Monarch sounds better, yes.

Could you do a fractal map? I haven't seen a good fractal run in ages. And nothing faster than snail, I would suggest.

Sounds very good! I am looking forward to it already!

I would also suggest Monarch difficulty and Snail. Suggestions for options: Revolutions OFF, City Limits OFF, Divine Prophets OFF, Choose religions OFF, bla bla without Metropolitan bla bla OFF, Realistic culture ON, Advanced Economy ON, Multiple production and research ON. I won't suggest any more options, you know what is good I guess.

I would also suggest Monarch difficulty and Snail. Suggestions for options: Revolutions OFF, City Limits OFF, Divine Prophets OFF, Choose religions OFF, bla bla without Metropolitan bla bla OFF, Realistic culture ON, Advanced Economy ON, Multiple production and research ON. I won't suggest any more options, you know what is good I guess.

Blasphemy!

@12padams

Awesome! And more power to you. It is always appreciated when people do "Let's Plays" for C2C. So far I think we have had ...

Videos
- quill18
- VineFynn
- IdioticUlt1mara
- darrinus
- rcd1293
- Acularius
- shenryyr2

Forum Posts
- Vokarya
- Cassidy
- Blue Boy
- Boksi

If i have forgotten anyone I apologize.

Anywho good luck dude! I cannot wait to see your episodes.

BTW will you be posting them in this thread?

Sorry but oll have to disagree with you i like revolutions and divine prophets cant wait to see your lp sounds very exciting also currently marathon is the most balnced game speed so i would consider using that

World size does affect turn times, especially later on when the AIs have visibility of much of the world.
Hmm... Do you think playing on giant with 10 civs is risky then? If the wait times get to 5 minutes in between each turn then I will probably go insane and want to give up the lets play... I have a really good computer but since the game isn't fully multithreaded it can't really take full advantage of everything.

I also think you should play above Noble - not asking you to play on deity or anything, but maybe consider jumping up to around Monarch?
[I concur with eschewing noble. The game is just plain boring at that diffulcity (in this mod). Monarch sounds better, yes.
Hmm ok ill do Monarch difficulty but be warned... I'm going to struggle and really need your help and advice in the youtube comments lol. This is gunna be extremely tense for me because I am not exactly a professional civ strategist.

Could you do a fractal map? I haven't seen a good fractal run in ages. And nothing faster than snail, I would suggest.
Snail speed... Oh course I will be doing that but forget anything slower lol ;)
As for a fractional map... I'm not really sure I like the idea of that. I personally really like perfect world 2f or whatever it's called. I've heard that fractional puts all civs together on 2 continents or something. I really like some civs to be separated by the ocean with a variety of different continents to explore and discover.

Revolutions are the anarchy turns between changing civs right? Or are they the rising instability of a city which causes them to become rebells? Personally I would prefer to have revolutions on. I like the idea of city limits off and advanced economy and I will have realistic culture to. I love multiple production and research so those will definitly be on. As for the other options I am not 100% sure what they are so I will look into them.

Sorry but oll have to disagree with you i like revolutions and divine prophets cant wait to see your lp sounds very exciting also currently marathon is the most balnced game speed so i would consider using that
I agree with you on having revolutions on but I'll look into devine prophets because I am not 100% certain about what they are right now. As for game speed though I would definitely like to do snail so sorry to those that wanted marathon.

Anywho good luck dude! I cannot wait to see your episodes.

BTW will you be posting them in this thread?
Well this is more of a preparation thread so probably not... I'll make a new thread once I start this lets play with all the episodes constantly being added to the first post. Discussions about my gameplay can be made in the new thread as well as in the youtube video comments sections.

Do what you like, but know that many believe that the AI cannot handle Revolutions. It will inevitably implode because it does not know how to handle the instability, especially with using units to guard against it. The human player knows this, and thus it is an unfair advantage over the AI. Besides, Shen have complained about exactly this "feature" of Rev. I really liked it too, until I understood how badly the AI can cope with it. If you don't want to take my word for it, there are threads active on this topic right now in this forum.

I would like to see a Lets Play With Out REV Or City Limits Or Fixed Borders.

So that potential players can see that you Do Not need to be stuck in a set way of playing.

Otherwise what you have for set up sounds good.

Also starting at Noble level would let new players see what it's like for the "average joe" to play. Not everyone plays on Diety or wants too.

JosEPh

If you want i could tell you all my current game settings if they would help you pick yours. Also for difficulty you can use flexible difficulty. Finally if you want to play on a big map i would suggest using viewports since they cut down on turn times so much exspecially on bigger maps

Divine Prophets gives you a free Great Prophet rather than automatically founding a religion if you are the first to a particular religion granting tech AND makes it so that Prophets found religions in the city(ies) of your choosing if they are still available to be founded. Take some care if you use them as they can also spread any known religion into your city too so you just need to refer to the religious advisor to see what religions haven't been founded yet before using it (a fix to make the graphic different for founding a new religion and spreading a known religion is still pending. I've got a way to go about it now but I'm hoping to still figure out the 'other' way to go about it which I have not been able to figure out yet.)

I'd love it if you used this so I can see how the AI uses it as new improvements there have recently been added to the SVN.

TC, you've said you've seen shen's play, right? He was on deity. Deity. And he, by his own admission, is not an amazing player. And yet he dominated easily. Difficulty in C2C is no sweat. Noble is just boringly easy. You'll have no problems at all on Monarch. Trust me. You've nothing to worry about.

I have to question your use of only ten civs on a giant map. Giant is, if I am not mistaken, at least twice as big as a standard map, which has eight civs by default. I'd really push it up to maybe 15 civs, unless you really, really want a very empty world.

Regarding your opinion on fractal, perhaps the setting you are thinking of is continents? That is the one that just splits the world into two landmasses. It's boring, I agree. Fractal does nothing of the sort. It's very unpredictable, with interesting looking landmasses, small and large.

I agree that perfectworld2f is cool, but my only qualm is that everyone does that. I'd like to see something different for once. This is of course, just me.

And yes, REV OFF refers to the instability mechanic. Yes, the AI has huge problems with it. I'd go so far as to say it's the main reason why the game is easy, even at higher difficulties. So far, if you want anything close to a decent game, keep rev on, and play a hard difficulty, or turn it off, and play an easier one. If you like the rev system, which I agree to, and don't want it cast aside, then keep it on, and play a harder difficulty.

Whew...apologies if that was a bit long.

Ha...sorry.^ I'm used to posting on GameFAQS where anything that takes longer than 30 secs to read gets a TL;DR.

Also, TC, if you are concerned about turn times, make sure you check the "Minimize AI turn times" in the BUG options upon starting your game.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about your map size, and your opposal to viewports. I think that if this gets to the latter stages, you may be necessitated in using them to prevent MAF's. Perhaps not, though.

Just, please. If you're going to play a giant map, don't have just 10 civs. Huge maps don't require vieweports ever...so if you want to play with only 10 civs, perhaps play on huge, and kill two birds with one stone?

Do what you like, but know that many believe that the AI cannot handle Revolutions. It will inevitably implode because it does not know how to handle the instability, especially with using units to guard against it. The human player knows this, and thus it is an unfair advantage over the AI.
I would like to see a Lets Play With Out REV Or City Limits Or Fixed Borders s .o that potential players can see that you Do Not need to be stuck in a set way of playing.
Well... I'll try it then... No REV... It will probably be easy for me though since preventing rev is the most difficult thing for me... Unhappiness and unhealthyness won't be such a big problem anymore... I guess it will be interesting to try this new way of playing...

Does this mean that since there is no rev there can't be any rebels? If so I'll happily play with 20 civs rather than 10 since the wont be any extra civs joining the battle...

Just, please. If you're going to play a giant map, don't have just 10 civs. Huge maps don't require vieweports ever...so if you want to play with only 10 civs, perhaps play on huge, and kill two birds with one stone?
Like I said above I will play with 20 civs... I only suggested 10 before because I was worried that the 10 would expand to 40 just like my 20 in my practice game expanded to 35 by the medieval time. I will play with 20 civs on a Huge map without viewports on.

Regarding your opinion on fractal, perhaps the setting you are thinking of is continents? That is the one that just splits the world into two landmasses. It's boring, I agree. Fractal does nothing of the sort. It's very unpredictable, with interesting looking landmasses, small and large.

I agree that perfectworld2f is cool, but my only qualm is that everyone does that. I'd like to see something different for once. This is of course, just me.
Awesome ill do fractal then :)

Divine Prophets gives you a free Great Prophet rather than automatically founding a religion if you are the first to a particular religion granting tech AND makes it so that Prophets found religions in the city(ies) of your choosing if they are still available to be founded... I'd love it if you used this so I can see how the AI uses it as new improvements there have recently been added to the SVN.
Ok I'll use it then... It will be something different/unique for me ;)

Ok to sum up... I'll play with:
Map size: Huge
Amount of civs: 20
Map type: fractal Perfect World 2F
Difficulty level: Monarch
Rev Off ect... The other stuff I mentioned lol ;)

Edit: I did a test and generated a few fractal worlds. Sadly most of the time there were 2 big strangly shaped continents and maybe a small one. I much prefer the perfect world 2f with more continents so sorry to the person who wanted fractal... I'll be doing perfect world2f

Edit: I did a test and generated a few fractal worlds. Sadly most of the time there were 2 big strangly shaped continents and maybe a small one. I much prefer the perfect world 2f with more continents so sorry to the person who wanted fractal... I'll be doing perfect world2f

Perfect Mongoose is a variant that is pretty good also.

Perfect Mongoose is a variant that is pretty good also.

Ah too late I've already started recording lol... So this topic is officially finished now since its already served its purpose. I've only recorded the initial setup explaination (already set everything up offscreen just explaining and looking through the settings I chose) and mod explaination so far which is the first 14 minutes of the first episode. I will record the rest of the episode over the coming days and definitly have it uploaded within 7 days from now. I want each episode to be about 30 minutes long.

Anyway I hope you all enjoy this lets play and hopefully it attracts more players :)

P.S. I'll start a new topic in this when the first episode is release. Oh and just so you know I am playing and recording it in 720p which I hate but I have to play at that resolution otherwise I will have problems with file sizes/storage on my computer and problems uploading it as well as editing it in movie maker (cutting out ai turn times/loading and displaying updated revision version notifications).

Glad you decided to turn rev off. ;)

Giant Map with 10 AI would have been a very good game. (When you finally meet all the AI they won't be push overs.) 20 AI, plus player, plus Barb makes 22 Civs on a Huge map, can get crowded quick. PF2 has too many resources makes the game way easier. :p

Looking forward to seeing this.

JosEPh :)

Top Bottom