Plans to make a WH40K tv series

That production team must study the entire background of 40k universe first. they must understand what WARP is. Demon 'Biology'. Society and tech access.
in Fire Warrior. Common humans delved back to candles as lighting instruments, while those with higher class enjoys the same tech we have today.

I don't think this will work as a tv series. Are there that many specific individuals that are worth presenting? (well, it's not like they can show whole decades, even if they start at the dawn of the age of Imperium).
I suppose they could just start with the Tyranid invasion, but that is just humans vs tyranids and little different from Starship Troopers. Iirc the concurrent events are the human-tau war and then the tau-orc war. Still will be hard to present as something making sense.

The only way I see this working is if they do what 40k video games have done: create their own original story that just happens to be set in the 40k universe. That approach works well because Games Workshop specifically created the 40k universe to be just a general setting with storytelling being left up to players and authors.

I don't think this will work as a tv series. Are there that many specific individuals that are worth presenting? (well, it's not like they can show whole decades, even if they start at the dawn of the age of Imperium).
I suppose they could just start with the Tyranid invasion, but that is just humans vs tyranids and little different from Starship Troopers. Iirc the concurrent events are the human-tau war and then the tau-orc war. Still will be hard to present as something making sense.

Yes. Fortykay is a very very vast universe that can never be presented within JUST ONE movie or TV shows. (think of Tolkein world, Transformers, or Leijiverse)

A Horus Heresy TV show might work as well. That whole era of the 40k universe has all the character drama and political intrigue to make it pretty much a 40k Game of Thrones.

Plus, I think done correctly, the Drop Site Massacre that kicked off the Horus Heresy would be amazing to see on screen. Especially the duel between Ferrus Manus and Fulgrim.

A Horus Heresy TV show might work as well. That whole era of the 40k universe has all the character drama and political intrigue to make it pretty much a 40k Game of Thrones.

Plus, I think done correctly, the Drop Site Massacre that kicked off the Horus Heresy would be amazing to see on screen. Especially the duel between Ferrus Manus and Fulgrim.
Yeh. particularly when 30k has its own rules to represents HH

Apparently it is an adaptation from some specific novels:
"Eisenhorn will see Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn and his band of investigators fight to thwart the monstrous schemes of aliens, heretics and demons before mankind’s doom is sealed."
Probably more generic & fan service.

I wish I could get excited about this news as I am a big fan of the 40K universe. (specifically the Horus Heresy timeframe)

Unfortunately I've been so demoralized by the abject destruction of two of my former favorite franchises by greedy corporate clueless idiots that I secretly wish they don't make a 40k tv series or movies. I can't go through another Star Wars or Game of Thrones let down with one of the only remaining franchises I still love passionately.

^ The likes of EA, HBO, or Bandai? (The latter ALMOST got a hand to manipulate Leijiverse to their toy selling whims. but Leiji Matsumoto is smart enough not to let any toy corporate to monopolize the rights to make toys for each of his Manga/Anime projects. the best examples is Galaxy Express 999 which every rivaling toy companies got the rights to make the 999 toy trains for their respective toy lines)

^Disney and HBO. I do not even dare want to know about EA or Bandai. Well mostly Bandai because I love their franchises (their video games and their toys), EA not so much.

I don't know if the novels are half-believable, but the lore itself has many inconsistencies. Eg orks, some primitive race of war-crazed monsters, happen to produce a planet-sized warping spaceship "just through trial and error". Sounds rather silly ^_^
Maybe the Eldar would be good to present in a grim-dark setting (fall of the Eldar, Chaos gods etc).

Ork lore is consistent insofar as they're a literal race of magic mushrooms. The earlier spaceships didn't work because they didn't think they would. This one works because they do. Assuming they've built ones that didn't work and one that does. It's just how Orks roll.

For franchises like this it seems harder to make a good movie using it than if creators made new IP from scratch. It has better odds than say a Mario Bros. movie/series, but still not actually good odds.

I don't know if the novels are half-believable, but the lore itself has many inconsistencies. Eg orks, some primitive race of war-crazed monsters, happen to produce a planet-sized warping spaceship "just through trial and error". Sounds rather silly ^_^
Maybe the Eldar would be good to present in a grim-dark setting (fall of the Eldar, Chaos gods etc).

The lore is intentionally inconsistent. GW has said as much. Basically they create lore that is contradictory and leave it up to fans to decide what they believe is the "truth".

This is summed up by GW's official stance when people ask them if a particular bit of lore is canon or not: "Everything is canon, but not everything is true.". So basically, 40k is an entire fictional universe based on the premise of the unreliable narrator.

The lore is intentionally inconsistent. GW has said as much. Basically they create lore that is contradictory and leave it up to fans to decide what they believe is the "truth".

This is summed up by GW's official stance when people ask them if a particular bit of lore is canon or not: "Everything is canon, but not everything is true.". So basically, 40k is an entire fictional universe based on the premise of the unreliable narrator.

Still sounds more like a cop-out than a well-planned concept :)
Though I haven't read any of their books - just saw videos and read articles online.

Still sounds more like a cop-out than a well-planned concept :)
Though I haven't read any of their books - just saw videos and read articles online.

I can see how it seems that way, but it all does start to make a weird kind of sense if you really dig deep into the lore.

To use the Ork example you brought up: The Orks seem primitive and bestial, but there are certain Orks called Mekboyz that have an inmate understanding of technology and machinery. They are the ones who build all the weapons, vehicles, etc. for the Orks. Also, while their technology appears ramshackle, it works perfectly fine. That's because the Orks have a collective psychic ability that allows their belief to become reality. So while one of their shootas (what Orks call a gun) may just be a hollowed out piece of metal with a crude trigger attached, it will still fire in the hands of an Ork simply because he believes it should fire. If a human tries to fire it though, it will not function.

And they have these abilities because the Orks did not evolve naturally. They were created as a bio-weapon of sorts by the Old Ones millions of years ago to fight the Necrons. So the reason Orks are able to build massive starships despite appearing primitive is due to the innate technological prowess of Mekboyz coupled with the Orks' belief that they should be able to build such things.

I can see how it seems that way, but it all does start to make a weird kind of sense if you really dig deep into the lore.

To use the Ork example you brought up: The Orks seem primitive and bestial, but there are certain Orks called Mekboyz that have an inmate understanding of technology and machinery. They are the ones who build all the weapons, vehicles, etc. for the Orks. Also, while their technology appears ramshackle, it works perfectly fine. That's because the Orks have a collective psychic ability that allows their belief to become reality. So while one of their shootas (what Orks call a gun) may just be a hollowed out piece of metal with a crude trigger attached, it will still fire in the hands of an Ork simply because he believes it should fire. If a human tries to fire it though, it will not function.

And they have these abilities because the Orks did not evolve naturally. They were created as a bio-weapon of sorts by the Old Ones millions of years ago to fight the Necrons. So the reason Orks are able to build massive starships despite appearing primitive is due to the innate technological prowess of Mekboyz coupled with the Orks' belief that they should be able to build such things.

Here they aren't called "Mekboyz" but "Oddboyz" ^_^

Top Bottom