Chieftain
Am I missing something here? This is early in game, with no other bonuses:

In Jungle:

Cocoa: +3 food, +1 gold
Banana: +3 food

In Plantation:
Cocoa: +1 food +1 production +2 gold
Banana: +1 food +1 production

It seems like my plantations aren't adding to the food. I would have thought each would give me four food after the plantation, or am I not reading things right? What's going on here?

The +1 from resources that you get from the plantation are after you build the plantation. You can't build a jungle on resources after they have been turned into plantations.

Am I missing something here? This is early in game, with no other bonuses:

In Jungle:

Cocoa: +3 food, +1 gold
Banana: +3 food

In Plantation:
Cocoa: +1 food +1 production +2 gold
Banana: +1 food +1 production

It seems like my plantations aren't adding to the food. I would have thought each would give me four food after the plantation, or am I not reading things right? What's going on here?

I mean that, before I chop down the jungle and build the plantation, I'm getting 3 food. After I chop down the jungle and build the plantation, I'm getting +1 food.

The jungle does give +2 food. When on plains the +2 food turn into production instead. If the forest becomes grass then you might end up with +2 food instead. I'm guessing you have +1 food because the resources are on a ground tile.

Don't forget the jungle also provides an additional +2 science once you have universities and +1 culture if you have the sacred path pantheon.

For cocoa you are very conflicted.

For Bananas, don't improve them.

On hills it does and you get more production instead but on grasslands and maybe ground it doesn't.

Bananas on grass have a base 3 food, and 2/1 if Plains. Granary adds 1 food, plantation adds 1 and Fertilizer tech adds one, making it a total of 6/0 grass or 5/1 plains. It kind of becomes better in the late game once your science is seriously big anyway but jungle bananas with 4 food and 2 beakers is easily one of the best tiles to have around

Wow this thread is a real mess. People seem to bungle all sorts of different information together here. I think the issues that OP faces is that Jungle (2 food) turns into Plains (1 food, 1 production if flat; 2 production if hills) and hence looses 1 or 2 food when chopped, but I think it would be helpful if someone made a full table of yields before and after of the different tiles.

You're losing the Jungle 2 food default (and replacing it with plains 1 food/1 production). And plantations don't give a food bonus until Fertilizer, just one extra gold.

For Bananas, don't improve them.

2 food > 2 science. But that assumes you improve them early -- otherwise probably wait until Fertilizer.

Or, ideally, plant a Great Scientist on them and get a 3 food/1 production/8 science tile early on.

This may sound weird but when I chop banana jungle to make a plantation, I get to the plains so I lose 1 food and gain 1 hammer, but once the plantation is finished the hammer disappears and you get the extra 1 food back for a total of 6 food (with fertilizer)
So somehow that hammer is turning back into food. So maybe a bug or something?

2 food > 2 science. But that assumes you improve them early -- otherwise probably wait until Fertilizer.

Or, ideally, plant a Great Scientist on them and get a 3 food/1 production/8 science tile early on.

I'd argue that making it into a plantation even after fertilizer only adds +1 food and +1 production in total on a flat tile. I do recall plains are always under jungle tiles.

And of course there are other modifiers. If you're going with Sun God, it's better to plantation those bananas for some crazy food yields early enough. That will quickly compensate the loss of science. On the other hand, if you have a good jungle start, sacred path offers an additional yield you might want to keep instead of making a plantation. And on the third hand, Oral Tradition further adds another possibility, but that one doesn't seem to be picked often...

EDIT: I'd like to add that if you are in need to production, you're better off turning the jungle bananas into a plantation. +1 hammer is still +1 hammer along with 4 food pre fertiizer. I will keep the GS tip, though if I don't have any sheep.

This may sound weird but when I chop banana jungle to make a plantation, I get to the plains so I lose 1 food and gain 1 hammer, but once the plantation is finished the hammer disappears and you get the extra 1 food back for a total of 6 food (with fertilizer)
So somehow that hammer is turning back into food. So maybe a bug or something?

Working as intended, plantations will basically simulate the plains as Grassland.

I'd argue that making it into a plantation even after fertilizer only adds +1 food and +1 production in total on a flat tile. I do recall plains are always under jungle tiles.

As the poster above you noted, a Plantation will always give 6 food if not on a hill when finished.

Working as intended, plantations will basically simulate the plains as Grassland.

As the poster above you noted, a Plantation will always give 6 food if not on a hill when finished.

A hill banana with plantation does give you more food eventually and you also get to end up with the production from the hill.

I did not know that. Apologies.

Ok. I think I'm getting it, even though I still think it's BS.

In my game, I have cocoa on a jungle-covered hill. I don't have fertilizer or anything - by that point in the game, I'd take the science over the food. However, at this early stage, in a capital surrounded by jungle, I'd like some excess food.

Let's refer to the attached picture of my situation.

Cocoa provides +1 food and +1 gold. The jungle it's on provides +2 food, for a total tile yield of 3 food, 1 gold. Chopping the jungle reveals the hill my cocoa is on. The hill is +2 production, the cocoa is +1 food and +1 gold, and the plantation appears to add +1 gold, for a total yield of 3 food, 2 production, two gold.

My question is, does the plantation really not add any food until fertilizer? I would have thought a cocoa plantation would add at least +1 food +1 gold, not just +1 gold.

Fertilizer adds 1 food to all non watered farms for sure but for plantations it should add 1 food too I believe.

There is no "should" about it. It is explicit:

No Fresh water Terrace Farm yield improved by 1
No Fresh water Farm yield improved by 1
Plantation Food yield improved by 1
Pasture Food yield improved by 1

Top Bottom