1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Play Civ2 scenarios online?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Morten Blaabjerg, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Morten Blaabjerg

Morten Blaabjerg Settler

Thanks! Nice to see that you're alive and kicking as well! :) No, unfortunately that scenario on the great "Emin Pasha Relief Expedition" got stuck. It's a black spot of shame, that it never went where it was supposed to go! Haven't actively worked with civ2 for a great number of years.

However, I have become very interested in board games, and am in the process of creating a board game prototype, which is based on that particular slice of history as well. So I'm definitely not finished working with games/scenarios and designing them. In many ways, working with civ2 was a great learning space for me in that regard.

Of course, civ2 is something different, and you can't do all the things in a board game like you could in civ2 (or in computer games as such).

Unsure if I'll get back to civ2, but I still do like the "simplicity" of modding it (and I just today had a look at some of the old scenario files - still have everything :)), although I also do remember the countless upon countless of hours that went into research, planning and execution! :)

2. Morten Blaabjerg

Morten Blaabjerg Settler

The one and only :-D Yes I did indeed spent a lot of time on these forums, both here and and on Apolyton. Sometimes even more time than actually playing the game :) The pleasure is all mine!

3. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Buck

I play modern games, such as the excellent RTS Ultimate General: Civil War. I also played Hearts of Iron - Darkest Hour by Paradox Games & enjoy the Football Manager series every year. However, I always come back to old games like Panzer General (specifically the Open General mod) & Civ2 (the ToT version we use here). While I enjoy the original version from time to time, the real draw for me was always the ability to get creative & create my own historical scenarios & to play the ones other people create. That is the purpose of the Scenario League (the clue is in the name) which has always been a forum dedicated to & populated by scenario designers, players and artists who support our work. While it would be nice to have a few more members, we're not trying to be the next big thing & rival modern strategy franchises like Paradox. This is our hobby. We enjoy being creative & helping each other develop our projects.

You are a fan of the game in its original form & enjoy the quick paced environment of the simultaneous network game. That's totally fine. There is no right or wrong here. We just have different tastes that happen to share a common game engine. There is a Multiplayer & PBEM forum for Civ2 here at Civ Fanatics and if you're looking for players then that's the best place to look. I think it's pretty well established that the vast majority of the Scenario League lack either the free time or the interest to participate.

I enjoyed our head to head game, even though I got my ass kicked. I just view things more as a story or work of art, where you are more focused on the competitive aspect (like a sport). There is nothing wrong with that at all, but we're just different types of player. I did learn a lot from that game and probably would benefit from playing more to sharpen up my skills. Playing the AI can be pretty easy unless the events are really well written.

My responsibility as moderator here (as I see them) is to ensure the harmonious atmosphere that has reigned for several decades now. We like our little oasis of civility in this world of Twitter hostility & online trolling. That's possibly why we react assertively if we see this peace being potentially threatened. There was also the case of a certain member who also liked lengthy & critical posts & couldn't moderate their behaviour (I will not speak his name lest he appears again). You are not in that category, but your forthrightness is starting to irritate people. We don't come here to argue. We may live in Democracies, but the Scenario League is a Dictatorship & I'm General Pinochet, ready & willing to offer free helicopter rides to anyone who defied me :trouble:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    CurtSibling likes this.
  4. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

5. McMonkey

6. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

Thank you for your detailed post, but perhaps dismiss the embrace.

It is good that you formulated very clearly and calmly and politely what the purpose and methods of your community are. I think this post will be very useful to other people, random readers. Everyone will be able to draw their own conclusions.

I hope the audience of your sub-forum will continue to expand. And you can find new modders and new players for your scenarios. My assessment of this I have already stated above, it makes no sense to repeat. As for the other sub-forums, you already mentioned last time. Thanks for reminding me.

7. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Let me add that there is absolutely no obligation for a person to hang out on our forum if they find the game or atmosphere not to their liking.

Uncouth or fanatical behaviour will be stepped on heavily. We maintain a cordial mood due to very brisk moderation.

8. Patine

Patine Warlord

Ironic (probably inadvertently) you used the word "fanatical" in a warning on a site called "CivFanatics." :p

9. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Modding also counts for superfluous and derailing posts from over-enthusiastic silly people. ;)

10. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

Yes, other "over-enthusiastic silly people" also learned a lesson, though they expressed a slight surprise. Well done, you too, Kurt, thank you. )

In the end, really, no one forces us to hang out specifically on your sub-forum of the League of Scripts. There are more than enough other forums where they don’t offer helicopters. As my experience has shown, there are indeed quite a lot of people who want to play civ2, but usually do not write anything in any of the forums. I think we can fully coexist with you as parallel parties. I will try, as far as possible, to warn other new "over-enthusiastic silly people" who will appear here not to disturb your pleasant and friendly atmosphere of your little subforum. Once again I wish you good luck and prosperity and growth of the audience of your LS group. )

11. McMonkey

Good. We all understand our respective positions. We're not anti-online gaming. It's just not the focus of our forum. Let's draw a line under this now. Feel free to engage with Morten's original post.

12. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

Ok. I’m not really going to make any stupid wars with your community, to “intercept” your audience. Moreover, I never even get out first to communicate with the "foot of the iceberg." Interested people themselves write and offer games. How is it right said - to each his own.

I am also a little surprised by the great fears about internet trolling. The first thing you did in your community when I came here was they called me a troll. Trolling is an inevitable part of the modern Internet. well, I don't really like him either. But we must be able to live with him. Otherwise, a “pupation” of communities will occur, as happened in your community. In my small group in my country. , trolls also appear periodically. But I have never used a ban, moreover, I did not even threaten to use it. Moreover, in my group for several years, there is even one very strange person who considers himself a deep-footed troll. I don’t even touch him, and periodically “feed" him. In the end, just funny and curious, what does he really need. So, again, my experience shows that it is quite possible to control the trolls, and not close up in the "atmosphere" of communities, setting hard filters on the "right" and "not right" opinions. But again, this is your business, act as you see fit. I see that you have already spent a lot of your attention ..)

13. McMonkey

I have no issues with you trying to recruit online players here. That's totally fine. I just don't see the need to belittle our community that has endured for over two decades and is enjoying somewhat of a renaissance with the advent of ToTPP. We have different preferences. We're not in competition. If people want to play scenarios then we're their forum. If they want online competition then they are welcome to go to the PBEM & Multiplayer forum & we'll offer them our assistance.

Regarding trolls. This forum is an oasis in an internet full of madness. I enjoy a bit of trolling myself on Twitter from time to time. However, the members here have made it clear that they have neither the time nor the energy to indulge the trolls (not that I'm accusing you of trolling) and I have no issue in banning anyone who seeks to disrupt the harmony that characterises the Scenario League. We are an independent forum hosted by Civ Fanatics and are permitted to administer our own affairs as we see fit.

I really don't want this to turn into & us against you scenario. I enjoyed our head to head game & know you're a good person. I think you started off on a bad foot due to some misunderstandings. Let's just draw a line under this for now & move on. :yup:

14. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

OK. At the moment I am not doing anything on your forum. Including search for players. Just went to chat. However, like last time JPetrovski (when I also just went to chat about the shortcomings of civ2) c ran into a hard unmotivated aggression in his address (this time, I remember, a gentleman from Iceland immediately arose and began to insult, despite the previously declared “olive branches.” Then this gentleman removed his post, apparently so that no one doubted the friendliness of your atmosphere). The tactic "good & bad investigator" always works great for the exile of unwanted people. )

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  15. McMonkey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JPetroski likes this.
  16. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

On that note... Does anyone have social media/ know how to use twitter? Prof. Garfield had a pretty good idea there.

I wonder how steam works and if 2K would even need the source code to upload the game and slap a $5 price tag on it. That would be a good solution too.

17. Northerner

Northerner Chieftain

@Morten Blaabjerg

I do think there is a way to do this. Perhaps it would be of little legal consequence, but from a moral standpoint it could be very effective - given the local wizard can be awoken from his slumber - to rig a version of ToTPP which only plays scenarios. I.e regular game would be made unplayable.

I’m looking into online virtual machine options, which I believe would be best option. It seems such options would require some minor resources (cash) though.

18. Patine

Patine Warlord

Speak not the Great Sleeping Wizard's "Name", for you will find he has none! :p