Play Deity like Chieftain

laconic

Chieftain
Following these principles, you can play Deity like Chieftain.

1. How many Cities do I need?

8-16 less corruption Cities is enought for a player. 8-10 for tiny size map, 10-12 for small and standard, 13-16 for huge map. Focus on these core Cities, that's all you need to beat AI.

When you start to conquer AI, the new conquered cities are usless. Just leave it with road connected and us it as a front line city. Let it build slowly, it doesn't matter. Unhappy? Starve it. Mercy? You are making corruption, why I can't starve you? If you have free workers, do some mercy on them.

2. How to place FP and Palace?

Base on 1, 2 or 3 cities away for FP and Palace is ok. For this placement, you can get all 8-16 citys which around them with less corruption.

Palace jump and cut cities around it? That's exploit.

3. Tech slide to what %?

0% is ok. You don't need to research any Techs before Later Industry Age or Modern Age. Buy it before early Industry Age or Steal it from Later Industry Age. It only cost 1/3 -1/2 compare to research.

Unless you have Univercity in all your cities after Later Industry Age, you will be always Tech behind.

And during the war, you can also ask tech tribute from your enemy or from your friend AI if he's going to be kicked out and need your ally.

4. What Government?

The only government you need is Republic. Remember it:

Money talks.

No free Army? Money can support them. Improvement? Buy it. Techs? Buy it. The only thing you need is money, money, money.

Communist give you a few shield for the whole big empire,compare with money, no use.

democracy? It can't support war.

5. Entertainment slide to what %?

Unless all the cities need it, leave it as 0%. A few cities unhappy? Starve it. Temple + Marketplace + Cathedral can solve almost everything before Pop 12. For thoese less corrupton cities, I don't think it will get any problem.

6. How to place cities?

3.5-4.5 tiles away is ok. Don't place them too loose. Most of time, they are only Pop 6-12.

If you can't build 6 or 8 cities from the begining. (surrounded by AIs) 2-2.5 tiles are also acceptable. You can disband those cities after the first war.

7. When to declare war?

Be nice with all the AIs except you want to declare war with it. Trade everything you have.

The first war is when you get swordman or horseman and already build about 6 cities. You need 4 more cities from your neighbour. Make an ally by money, grab them. The purpose for the first war is to establish your core cities. ( At deity, most of the time, you can only build 4-6 cities at begining unless you are at a corner, own your own island or play a hug map. )

After you get almost 10-12 cities. Improve them, save money for the next war.

The second war is when you get knight or cavalry, some time around it. The purpose for the war is to weak AI CIVs. The war can last as long as you want. But, try to get all AI CIVs involved. That's world war.

Weak your neighbour first, then the #1 or #2 CIV. Don't let a CIV too strong. Sometime, you need to leave your enemy alive to weak another AI CIV.

After that, there will be only 2-4 AI CIVs left. And I am pretty sure you will be #1 or #2 CIV.

Don't be afraid to fight #1 or #2 CIV. You get ally.

The third war is conquer all of them.

8. How to maintain war weariness?

Defeat enemy in your country in one turn. (sometime leave 1 or 2 for next turn prevent your unit lose outside your city is fine.)

Grap enemy city in one turn. (knight and cavalry attack first, workers RR to the new cities in one turn, then move Pikeman or rifman. No one can defeat you next turn.

9. City flip?

Turn all foreigners to entertainment, starve them. Rush a temple in one turn on the board as soon as the resist gone.

10. My reputation?

You can be aggressive but keep your reputation.

11. art of war?

For the first war, you need to attack offensive.

For the second war, let AI offensive, with artillery, you can weak them easily, then counterattack.

For the third war, you are alread strong, you can do whatever you like for fun.

12. Warmonger?

Hey, the whole history is a kind of warnonger.

World peace?

Conquer the whole world, we are earth man, that's real world peace.

Any detail tactics, go to

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3academy.shtml

This is a good summary, but it's more of a "Go look in the Academy for these things" article.

I disagree with the swords/horses warring part. I can beat Diety fairly easily without war, but I find it a bit hard if I try to attack early, as the Diety early bonuses are too much.

I didn't mean swords rush. Most of the time you need swords wave.

If the map size is tiny or small and you are surrounded by AIs, you must declare war with your most weakest neighbour and grab his cities. Ally may help.

Yes. At Diety, the AI early bonuses are too much. However, he will build more cities, and eachone will guard no more than 3 spearman.

And he is thinking about good place. Some cities may be close to you not him even without road connect to his capital. You can build roads to these cities before start to attack.

After 4 turns, if you think you are weak, world peace.

So the ally depends on your strength, if you are weak, don't get ally involved, world peace will hit your reputation. If you are strong, pull ally in, hit their reputation.

One more caveat, according to Bamspeedy's article, if you starve an unhappy, conquored city, you get the same AI hit as if you burned the place down. You have to watch out for that, especially early in the game.

point 5 is complete crap.

And i asume you mean the titel name: playing cheiftain like deity ?

your titel looks like you are making deity as easy as chieftain.
I assume you want to use deity strats on chieftain for practice.

After first war, you can get 1 or 2 lux at least. most of time, same luxs like to locate very close. trade them you can get 2-3.

Temple + Marketplace + Cathedral

Any problem?

And before Republic, 3 military unit can con 3 citizen. Once you switch to Republic, knight is coming. The second war- world war is also coming.

Your article is intriguing. For the most part just about everything you say is true, however, I can't imagine a novice player just jumping into Deity and surviving on the basis of what you say. It is easy to say things such as turn off all science and trade with the other civs. But you need to experience it a few times before you become comfortable with that strategy. Always being behind is something that a novice player has no experience with.

I think the best way to gain the experience that is necessary to be successful on any level Emperor or above is to join in one of the Succession Games or Training Games.

IMO this article lacks detail in quite a few areas. For example:

1) How many workers/worker management?

2) Small amount of territory means less resources available. What are you going to trade? You better build some roads and harbors to trade that stuff right?

3) When are you switching to republic? I have seen Sid level defeated by a monarchy government (check high score HOF) - so how can you say all you need is republic?

4) What if you can't build swordsman or horsemen becuase there are no horses or iron?

My point is there are so many fine points in the game it is hard to summarize them.

In addition to zagnut's suggestions, I would also recommend some of the material in the war academy, and reading the high score HOF forum to get some other insights. That is how I learned to beat deity.

rcoutme said:
One more caveat, according to Bamspeedy's article, if you starve an unhappy, conquored city, you get the same AI hit as if you burned the place down. You have to watch out for that, especially early in the game.
Note that AI attitude is only really significant if you are interested in a diplomatic victory.

^_^

This article is Play Deity like Chieftain. It doesn't say it's the only way to play Deity. However, it described that Deity is not as hard as some newbie think.

1) How many workers/worker management?

You need MM some workers to build roads, rest of them depends. Focus your core cities only.

2) Small amount of territory means less resources available. What are you going to trade? You better build some roads and harbors to trade that stuff right?

Build roads to your neighbour city both for trade and war. Build 1 harbor is enough.

3) When are you switching to republic? I have seen Sid level defeated by a monarchy government (check high score HOF) - so how can you say all you need is republic?

the Pops of all core cities are above 4 + Temple + 2 lux + marketplace on the way, you may think about swtiching to Republic.

if you don't have at least 2 lux, you need a war first then republic.

4) What if you can't build swordsman or horsemen becuase there are no horses or iron?

2-1-1 archer or trade for iron, horse.

5) When to bulid worker? How many workers do I need?

You don't need to count how many workers you need. Build a worker everytime you build a city. Switch to a worker if the city is going to unhappy and you are lack of worker to build roads. Most of your workers will come from AI.

6) Why I can't steel any techs even I select high chance. Do I need switch to Communist?

Republic is OK to be a thief. Just spend a few hundred $$$ to investigate their cities before steal.

7) I don't have lux, iron, horse, enough territory, how can I do?

Gloria,

I stand on the battle field.

Gloria,

My heart of warrior will go on and on.

laconic said:
Republic is OK to be a thief. Just spend a few hundred $$$ to investigate their cities before steal.
Why should you investigate? It has nothing to do with stealing techs.

During my test, I can steal techs with low chance all the time if I do the investigate every 4 techs/ 1-2 city.

If I don't do the investigate. After 3-4 techs has been stealed, I won't be success to steal even I select high chance. I need to wait a long time.

There is a kind of RNG here, maybe someone else can explain?

Weird, never knew that...

laconic said:
During my test, I can steal techs with low chance all the time if I do the investigate every 4 techs/ 1-2 city.

If I don't do the investigate. After 3-4 techs has been stealed, I won't be success to steal even I select high chance. I need to wait a long time.

There is a kind of RNG here, maybe someone else can explain?

What test? I did my own tech steal test once (it can be found on this forum) and I certainly didn't have this experience. I welcome proof to your claim. People claim a lot around here.

This sounds a lot like you are reloading a save after a failed tech steal, investigate a city and try the steal again. I know that this will change the tech steal result (investigating cities are also counted in the RNG).

reload save file won't change RNG for attack or steal. After I steal 3-4 techs in low chance successfully, I must investigate 1-2 cities to continue my steal in low chance. It seems it's a must. Investigate the cities right on your border is more effective.

Everybody who has an industry age save file can do this kind of test. I didn't do a lot for it. That's my experience, so I just follow it. Sorry, I didn't find your post here. Could you find it for me? What's your result? I really want to know if there is any possibility to manipulate a success steal.

^_^

laconic said:
reload save file won't change RNG for attack or steal. After I steal 3-4 techs in low chance successfully, I must investigate 1-2 cities to continue my steal in low chance. It seems it's a must. Investigate the cities right on your border is more effective.

Everybody who has an industry age save file can do this kind of test. I didn't do a lot for it. That's my experience, so I just follow it. Sorry, I didn't find your post here. Could you find it for me? What's your result? I really want to know if there is any possibility to manipulate a success steal.

^_^
If you had preserve random seed on, the results would be the same every time,unless you altered the missions you did.

@laconic, that's not what I said. I only said that when you reload and then do something else in the espionage screen -like city investigation- that then the espionage attempt is recalculated in the RNG. Anyway, I will only believe statements like these unless they are guided by evidence. My tech steal test didn't include your suggestions. They only did give an insight in the chance of tech stealing. It's in the strategy & tips section and was done on PTW saves. But it's an example of a test that I would believe.

Here it is: Tech steal test

Top Bottom