1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Play testers Needed: Colonization Tech Tree

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by Kailric, May 4, 2010.

1. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

I just uploaded my latest version of my Inventor w/ Tech Tree mod. Testers are needed to check out the new Victory Condition called "Industrialization" as well as the progression of the Techs.

Note: There is a small patch to version 1.1a get it here.
    Note: I have not tested this on any speed other than Normal

Industrialization Victory
    Once Industrialization has been researched it opens up the Industrialization Victory(IV) for all players. Looking back in history we find several factors involved with the progress towards Industrialization. Steampower and the Cotton Gin having the up most influence. Following the coarse of history, in order to be the first Colony to be fully Industrialized you must sell 1200 units of Cloth at the docks in Europe. Once IV has been started you can no longer purchase cloth from Europe.

The AI can win an Industrial Victory. In a future update I may change the conditions in order to win by IV depending on play testing.

More details can be found here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=358612

If you get a chance to play test make a post on the out come, how many techs you where able to research, how many Prolific Inventors you wear able to acquire, the year/turn the game ended and any other thoughts you may have or bugs you find.

~Kailric

2. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

I didnt test it out yet but I think 1200 cotton might be too small ill tell you when I test it out tho.

3. Kailric

Yeah, was wondering the same thing. Its 1200 Cloth actually, but that number can be adjusted easily in the XML. Also, I am thinking on a making it so that once you Researched Industrialization it opens up a new Cargo Type and its this type that you have to produce and sell to Europe. As of now a player just has to stock pile 1200 cloth somewhere in order to win as soon as Industrialization is researched. Thats no easy task mind you in itself though cause of limited space. Anyway, I'll do some more research into the industrializaton period and see what I can come up with.

Edit: And make sure you get the Patch to 1.1a I just uploaded a few min ago :)

4. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

yeah lol I meant cloth sorry. and I noticed that something happened and you cant get a seasoned scout or explorer quickly. you know how normally a seasoned scout was the first immigrated unit? well that doesnt happen.

5. Kailric

Hmm, how many games have you started? The Explorer and Scout units are basically the same and have the exact same stats just different art? You may be a victim of simple Time and Chance. I just started a game and one of the first units is a Seasoned Explorer. There is nothing in the code that forces a Scout unit to appear first.. its all based on chance. However, Scout/Explorer units do have the highest Immigration Weight of all the other units. I have played games as well when it took forever to finally get a Seasoned Scout, but like you say most games they appear rather quick.

Also, I have set this Mod up so that its all based on Techs. If you removed all the Techs from the Tech tree then you'd be playing your basic Colonization. There is no code that adjusts Immigration weight though, so that is what makes me think its just random time and chance, or bad luck as they say.

6. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

well I played 3 beginnings last time and I just played again but so far im not getting one.
    im playing pioneer and marathon.

edit: I world builded my self some money and then checked how many people I would have to buy to get a scout
    1. bought 6 people then scout showed up.
    2.bought 4 pepole then scout showed up.
    3.bought 0 people scout was there.
    4.bought 4 people scout showed up.

edit2: I opened up my XML editor and changed the immigration wieght from 200 to 300 and (obviously) one showed up. maybe you should change the wieght because you added more units?

7. cavvy

cavvy Chieftain

hey kailric,

I'm a little confused do you want the play test info on this thread or on the game thread. Since I'm replying to this one i found something while playing the newer version. When i build the school house the building overlaps the harbor in city mode. That's all i have atm. I'm 141 turns in on first game but will post a screen shot of the city display with this post. In the screen shot the school house is located on south part of screen overlapping the docks and a portion of the liberty bar, Sugar & tobacco resource. I'll let you know when i find more.

sincerely,
    cavvy

Attached Files:

8. Kailric

Heya cavvy, yeah you just need to download the patch. Get the 1.1a patch here and that will fix you right up :)

Post your game test info here.

@w2w2w
    Run the same test on the Vanilla game and see what results you have. The new units I have don't even get counted at the start of the game so in effect the number of units at the start is the same as in the vanilla game.

I just ran a couple small tests.. first game there was a Seasoned Explorer already there, second game it took 1 hurry, third game took 9 hurrys. Then I started a Vanilla game, took 10 hurrys before my first seasoned scout appeared. There is nothing in the code for immigration calculation that would be any different than a Vanilla game. I still have to say its just time and chance.

Edit: I haven't tested this on any speed other than Normal so not sure of the effects that will have.
    Edit2: Also, what type of units you get through Immigration is not effected by game speed

9. cavvy

cavvy Chieftain

My first game i didn't get to revolution i ended up getting whipped out by the evil dutch. So i started game 2 this time using the Spanish with conquest in mind. This brings me to the reason I'm posting. It appears that all the civs except the Spanish has the ability to research technology because they have the tinker's hut available. The Spanish civ does not have the tinkers hut and i didn't see an option to build one either. I'll let you know if i see more and i'll start downloading that patch asap.

thanks,
    cavvy

10. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

I did the test on normal colonization with out any mods and I got
    1. 3
    2. 0
    3. 0
    4. 1
    also when I chose my leader as random I got some dutch guy. but his second city was named jamestown. I dont play as the dutch alot so I dont know if thats supposed to happen?

edit: sorry I havent been responding a lot I had a lot to do, get subway eye exam etc etc.

11. Kailric

Hmm, you sure you started the right mod cause the Spanish have a Tinker's house in the game I just started and I can't think of any reason why they would be different? It may have to do with needing the patch though.

@w2w2w
    That is strange about dutch having Jamestown. There is only one reference to Jamestown and that belongs to the English.

I did a few more tests too on Vanilla and just get random numbers all over
    1. 1
    2. 0
    3. 6
    4. 0
    5. 0
    6. 7
    7. 4
    8. 9
    9. 3
    10. 0

12. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

i dont know. ill just ignore the scouts for now and test what your mod is all about, the inventing. so what Ill try to do is get industrial victory the fastest and ill tell you my date I ended on.

13. cavvy

cavvy Chieftain

i restarted the game 3 times in a row on your mod and still no tinker's house for Spanish cities. I added your patch and that fixed the school house. I'll post a screen shot of the Spanish town and also the game save if i can find it.

edit: Ok i think i see the problem. The Spanish civ has 2 optional leaders to choose from Simon Bolivar and Jose de San Martin. I just started another game choosing simon bolivar and the tinker's house shows up but when you make a game with jose de san martin you encounter the problem no tinker's house. In the save game and screen shot i'm using jose de san martin.

Attached Files:

14. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

I finished it:
    Date: september 1629
    Glitches: Scouts (discussed) Jamestown (probably a one time thing) Slavery doesnt affect coal mining

as you can see through these pictures I didnt have to worry about soldiers or protection or any thing because the main Idea is trading so maybe to make a problem and avoid this prehaps all native americans get -40 against you for ruining there way of life and maybe attacking you. (it also gets rid of all defensive pacts with them)

15. Kailric

Ok, I see the problem.. when you make a custome game somethings don't get loaded right. I'll look into this more. Thanks for your efforts though. To play just start a game normaly and not a custom game.

@w2w2w
    I have an idea about why this is ... I'll check that out. So you played on Marathon and won an Industrial Victory in 1629? Thats a little to soon but then again I am not sure how having it set to Marathon effects Researching techs. I'll check that out more. Thanks guys for all the feed back.

16. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

Oh yeah! you reminded me when you talked about how the game converts things.
    I doubt research was multiplied by three on marathon because on marathon I had to sell 1200 cloth instead of 3600. I dont know if you wanted it to be like that or whatever but this time ill play another game but on normal. (not used to normal) and again ill neglect military power and production and try to see how quickly I win.

Edit: wait would you want to see my save file of marathon?

17. Kailric

Yeah, that would be helpful

Thanks

18. w2w2w

w2w2w Warlord

also I noticed something yeah the technology amount is the same on normal and marathon.
    if you want to win there is a ship in europe with enough cloth.

Attached Files:

19. Kailric

w2w2w, I just uploaded a patch for adjusting to game speed. So you can play at Marathon now and Research, Prolific Inventor, and Industrialization Victorys will all adjust.

Patch 1.1b
    just place it in the Inventor/Assets folder to replace the .dll

20. Kailric

I have yet to figure this one out. In my testing sometimes a leader has a Tinker's House sometimes it don't. It can be any of the leaders not just Jose de San Martin. It seems like it loads the vanilla freebuildings instead of the one in the mod.

In any case if you don't get a Tinker's House just hit ctrl-W and add one in yourself.