1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Play w/o DVD?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by Outlandish Josh, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outlandish Josh

Outlandish Josh Chieftain

I realize the necessity for copyright protection and all, but is there any way to play Civ4 without the DVD? I want to know for two reasons:

1) I left my copy at work today and want to play at home tonight! ;)

2) I have a powerbook, and like to play when I fly, and having the DVD in the drive causes it to spin up a lot which drains the battery much faster.

2. Skippy_Kangaroo

Skippy_Kangaroo Prince of Denmark

2) As I understand things, it only needs the DVD for startup. After you launch you can eject the DVD. That said, the way this thing taxes the CPU and GPU you aren't going to get stellar life on batteries anyway - an hour, maybe less?

3. bio_hazard

bio_hazard Chieftain

You should be able to get more than 1 hour. I was able to play for about 45 minutes on the train last week- when I got to my stop, my battery meter said about 50%, and that was with the processor set to highest.

but yes- would be nice to be free of the DVD.

4. Outlandish Josh

Outlandish Josh Chieftain

That's good to know. Thanks!

5. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Chieftain

Aspyr's upcoming game download service, Gamerhood, will allow you to download their games this fall. It would be great if at some point Aspyr let you register your boxed game with Gamerhood, allowing you to play without the DVD. One can hope.

6. ancestral

ancestral Chieftain

I've got a solution. Try ejecting the DVD after Civ IV starts up.

[Edit: Whoops! Someone beat me to it!]

7. yvovandoorn

yvovandoorn Chieftain

My iMac wouldn't release the DVD while civ4 is loading, so unless I encountered a new bug... I'd say that without some sort of... unofficial means... its not going to be possible.

8. 5150

5150 Chieftain

I really dislike having to have the disc in the drive. I don't like my desk to be cluttered, so my software sits in boxes and shelves unless I need it. This sort of protection doesn't stop anyone who intends to steal the software, and certainly inconveniences those that have purchased the product.

This whole thing has soured me on buying any more Aspyr products. Civ 4 is likely to be the last boxed game I ever buy for my Mac.

9. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

Well except for the last sentence I fully agree with you. It's really annoying to have to insert the DVD every time you just want to spend a couple of minutes playing Civ 4. I never understood why the Gaming Industry was so keen on this protection, as software pirates only laugh about it...

At least you can eject the disc while Civ 4 is in the main menu and so it's no problem to play network with one disc. I am thankful for that, other companies even seem to expect you to buy another copy for playing 3 hours / month LAN. :lol:

10. MAS

MAS Chieftain

Yeah, It would sure be great if they made a patch for their existing titles to allow you to choose between online verification and verification by disk.

I know that would make it possible for 2 people to play the same copy (one by calling home, and one by disk) but I feel that will only couse a nuance compared to the goodwill this would create: Aspyr will give a strong signal that it has heared the complaints from paying costumers about their CP shemes, and is comitted to finding some kind of a solution.

Though still not ideal, it would be an improvement.

11. 5150

5150 Chieftain

I just find myself being a bit disappointed with the games that I've purchased. Between bugs and poor design, I spend too much of my leisure time feeling annoyed. Shareware-type games from smaller developers usually aren't as buggy, as you can try before you buy.

Back in the old days, games had to be of decent quality before they shipped. There just wasn't a chance to patch them. They had great manuals and supplements. Copy protection was often looking up a word or answering a question. For whatever reason, I never found myself overly annoyed by that.

I buy very few Mac games now. Last year I bought Railroad Tycoon 3, and was very disappointed. Now I feel similarly about Civ 4. I have purchased quite a few Xbox games, all of which have been of merchantable quality. The shareware games that I've bought have been as well.

None of them have unnecessary and ineffective copy protection schemes that are intended to inconvenience legitimate purchasers.

12. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chieftain

I have to admit that there have been times I've wanted to play Civ IV for 30 minutes or so, but haven't because of the hassle with inserting and removing the CD.

Hmm. Is it safe to leave a disc in the drive when shutting down the computer?

Gatekeeper

13. Welnic

Welnic Chieftain

I always just leave a disc in until I need a different one. But I never shutdown any of my rigs. But it doesn't hurt to shut a machine down with a disc in it.

14. 5150

5150 Chieftain

With Civ3 I used to just rename my hard drive. That trick doesn't work for Civ4, which is a bummer. So what'll happen? I'll end up finding the no-CD crack when it comes out, and I'll violate my legitimate license by using it. Thanks so much, Aspyr, for not actually preventing piracy but pushing honest folks such as myself towards violating our licenses. Sharp thinking!

15. khedron

khedron Chieftain

Umm. I hate to say it, but I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It's just not that big a deal. You seem to be fine with having to dig out the XBox disk to play a game there. Just think of it that way.

16. 5150

5150 Chieftain

Thanks for minimizing my opinion. I appreciate it.

With the Xbox, you have to have the disc to play. The content is actively read off of it. With Civ4, it's a designed and intentional annoyance. Those aren't the same things.

17. ancestral

ancestral Chieftain

Civ IV is by far not the only game that uses CD copy-protection. Get over it.

And stop blaming Aspyr! They don't get to set all the rules, guys. TakeTwo has a BIG say I imagine.

18. 5150

5150 Chieftain

It's the only game I play on my Mac that requires me to have the CD. Why should I get over it? I dislike it, and I'm far from the only one. I'm a consumer that's paid for the product, and I dislike it when I'm treated as a criminal.

19. MAS

MAS Chieftain

Though your post was probably directed at 5150, just to be sure...

I'm not 'blaming' anyone, and its not like I'm losing sleep over it, but I would sure like it if this annoyance is removed, not just in CIV, but in any game, developed or published by anyone.

I'm trying to communicate my displeasure to any party involved, and motivate other people to do so as-well. ( "not buying" being the last option, as I don't like that either.)
    If enough people communicate their displeasure then (some of) the parties involved will be moved to think of alternative solutions. If they do, and even if the annoyance is at the very least reduced, if not removed, then that would already be an improvement.

The idea that one should "just accept" this feature is counter to my objective.
    I hope you are on our side in that you would like these negative features to be removed.

20. GreenHedge

GreenHedge Chieftain

I have a no-dvd crack, I dont know the rules on this forum though. If it is ok for me to host, Ill post a link. If not your sol.

Moderator Action: The rules here are quite clear. Read them.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The site has zero tolerance to piracy, and will not allow posting of any information that encourages or enables it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.