1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Playable Barbarians

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by merijn_v1, Jan 5, 2016.

1. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

For all the ones that thought is was a joke, it isn't. This modcomp really is a hybrid between DoC and the Barbarian mod from Warlords. The general gameplay is similar to the Warlords mod, but adapted to fit in DoC. So you basically have to create chaos in order to get gold, which you can spent to create even more chaos.

Download Link for V1.14 version
    Unzip it in the DoC folder. (You should get an message to replace some files. Say yes to all)

Git users version.

NOTE:
    Not compatible with my 2nd UU/UB modcomp.
    I didn't test compatibility with VD. (I assume it does work)

General gameplay:
    Like most civs, you don't start at the start of the game, but in 1000 BC. This means that there is some development in the world already, so you have something to destroy. You start with a barbarian camp unit, which has the same function as the Warlords mod camp. (You can buy new units here)

Your goal is to create chaos in the world. By default, there are 2 victory conditions: Conquest (eliminating all other civs) and Historical victory. (Yes, even the barbarians have an unique historical victory) The historical victory is all about creating chaos. Doing various barbarian activities (razing, killing units, pillaging etc.) earns you gold which counts towards the UHV, indicating how much of a barbarian you are.

A feature of the RFC games is semi-scripted barbarian spawn. As the barbarian player, you can take over these scripted spawns. These takeovers cost gold. (But slightly less that the equivalent units bought in a camp) If you don't take over the units, they will spawn as the original barbarian.

More information is available in the civilopedia.

Technical information:
    You are not the only barbarian. The original barbarian is still in the game and will do the same things as it does in DoC. You are at peace with them, as you both have the same goal: trying to destroy all of civilization. You don't control all barbarian because the normal barbarian activities should still be in the game. It would mean there is no barbarian activity if you don't have much gold.

As already mentioned, you are not the real barbarian player. Technically, you are the Polynesian player, but you get all the abilities of the barbarian civ. That means that you can't have Polynesia in you game ofcourse. But all other civs are untouched. (In the warlords mod, you are also not the real barbarian player, but a regular player with all the abilities of the barbarians.)

I tried to code this modcomp is such a way that you can play the normal scenarios without having to uninstall the modcomp. In the code, there are many checks if the game is a so called BarbarianGame or not.

ales_ likes this.
  2. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Well, this was very... Ambitious?

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's funny, I recently thought of that mod when I accidentally gave the barbarians instantaneous tech research and unit production and found the old world overrun by mechanized infantry at the Canadian spawn with the Americas being an underdeveloped safe heaven against this mess.

ales_ likes this.
  4. 2015

2015 Chieftain

I would LOVE to play this game! New World civilizations racing to research techs that would allow them to destroy futuristic barbarians and claim the Old World for themselves.

Please release it :viking:

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

(I don't want to distract from this project too much. But with the upcoming changes you can recreate it yourself by changing only a couple of modifiers.)

6. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

Ideas (all built together):
    1) NOT ALL BARABARIANS; Essentially there are barbarian sub-factions, these can be the 1) European, 2) North African, 3) Indian Subcontinent, 4) Turko-Asian
    2) WHEN IN ROME; Your sub faction of barbarians progresses by beating civilized units and capturing their cities, that is you gain techs. You also convert all culture into science, this means that cities with wonders provided additional techs over time.
    3) YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT; Rather than stability, you have a civilized ranking. The more you gain from the factions, the higher your score. Razing cities lowers the score. Destroy a world wonder? Your score will plummet. Capture and hold a world wonder? Your score will sore. Getting a maximum civilization swill convert your faction into an actual Civ!

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

What I think would be cool is if you could choose which of the scripted spawns to control. As in, the scripted spawns instead determine which units you can buy and where. The vanilla barb civ would take over the barbarians you choose not to control.

8. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Yes, it is. But it turn out it was not that hard to code, actually. I recently played a game of that mod and I thought: "How awesome would it be if this mod was incorporated in DoC?" So I started coding.

I will, when it's ready to release. It's just not finished yet.

When the player are uncouple from the player slots, I will probably turn it into a separate civ, instead of being a hijack of Harappa. This mod has some custom features, so only changing some modifiers will not be the same. (Although you can somewhat represent the barbarians.)

1. For that reason, I want to give the player multiple camps all over the world. This should give the player opportunity to control them all. Also, unlike the warlords mod where target civs are in abundance, in DoC, the amount of civs (and therefore the things you can do) is limited. So to give the player something to do, it can control the barbarians all over the world.
    2. I set it so you autoraze all cities. So you can't have any cities. (You can't have settlers as well) That's why I need to come up with an alternative way to tech.
    3. I want to keep the AI players as close to the current game as possible. This modmod is intended to be a normal DoC mod, but instead of controlling a civ, you are controlling a barbarian civ.

I will consider it. But I'm afraid this will limit the player too much in the amount of units it can have to really do something.

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I wouldn't limit the amount of units available, just the kinds and locations.

10. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

11. Force44

Force44 Prince

This would be awesome.
    Well outside of the paradigms of DoC.
    But still awesome.

I only read about it now, I used to be very selective on what topics I read.

All I can say for now is Tsar Ivan Grozny approves.

If you do feel lacking for ideas (eg ways to adress certain problems) I would love to share my thinking labour. But for now I am just really curious on what this mod will play like.

No more wining about poor AI. We are returning to the good old days of civ1 and lets show the machine how to play barbarians proper!

12. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

The core elements are done. I'm currently solving some bugs and testing it. I expect to release it soon.

13. Publicola

Publicola Prince

Can I suggest that the default *not* be autorazing? I'd prefer a mechanic where you can simply 'sack' a particular city without razing it, especially if it's large enough (cf. Rome, so many times).

So, instead of leaving city ruins everywhere in your path, conquering a city would reduce its population by a certain amount (5 pop seems reasonable). If the city starts out below 5 population, only then is it autorazed. Your barbarian unit would be automatically returned back to its home camp, with a whole bunch of gold, XP, and/or tech.

Also, responding to your original post, instead of there being "a X% chance to get a tech when you conquer an enemy city," I'd suggest making a 100% chance that the player will receive *some* tech boost after conquering an enemy city (so long as the enemy civ actually has a tech advantage to begin with), but with a variable X% chance of that boost being significant.

In other words, if the Romans have Horseback Riding and you don't, and you conquer Milan, you are guaranteed to receive some sort of research boost for that tech. But 50% of the time, that boost will be like a minor event ("you receive 120 beakers towards Horseback Riding") while the remaining 50% of the time would give you the tech outright. You could also create a variable scale, so you're more likely to receive major tech boosts from major cities (increased probabilities from population, culture, wonders, etc.)

Since you're already outlining a mechanic for buying tech with gold, these minor tech boosts would provide a discount to that price. Frankly, I'd suggest a 1:1 ratio of beakers required for a tech normally and the gold necessary to purchase it. Much easier to keep track of the math, and to balance how much gold a barbarian 'civ' should be taking in.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this modmodmod in action.

14. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Several mechanics, including the UHV, are designed around auto-razing. I would rather not change that.

In my current test version, you get techs automatically if 75% of the civs have it. It seems a bit artificial, but it results in the tech progress I had in mind. I want the human barbarian to keep up with the other civs, but with a small lag. This idea does that very well.

I should update the first post. I solved a lot of questions I had back then already.

15. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

A playable version is online. Grab it from the first post.

This version has all element I wanted to include in it. But the balance can be off, because this requires a lot of testing. (Which I can't do alone) So feedback is welcome.

I especially like feedback on gold acquirement and payments. Is the gold you acquire by killing/razing/pillaging good? Are the costs of new units good? Are the gold requirements for the UHV good?

The UHV don't have a set finish date, but the idea is to finish the game (through UHV) in about 1800 AD. Please let me know if the required gold can be achieved around that time.

16. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Git installation instructions:

This modcomp has some DLL changes in order to make it work. Therefore, I won't keep modcomp updated with the main mod, as that would mean the DLL has to be compiled every time Leoreth makes a change in that.

So there are 2 options to get this modcomp on git.
    1. Use the git version which resembles v1.14 and use the main download version of the first post.
    Spoiler :
    Leoreth did set tags to git, so you can easily revert to a certain version. To install this modcomp, revert your git version to the tag which is v1.14. Then, unpack the version for the regular download.

DO NOT UPDATE TO THE LATEST VERSION WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE MODCOMP FIRST!

To uninstall, revert all files I changed and updated as you usually do.

2. Create a new branch which has has the changes I made to the game.

This way, you can keep your main branch updated with the development version of DoC and have the barbarian branch in the old git version which is compatible with this modcomp. (I recommend this method)

Spoiler :
    Step 1. Right click on the mod folder --> Create branch
    Step 2. Give it a nice name (like "Barbarian") and click ok.

Now, a new branch is created, but you are still in the main version. You can switch between branches with Right-click --> Switch/checkout. Select the branch you want to be in and click ok. With this command, you can switch between the main branch, which is DoC without the modcomp, and the new branch which does contain this modcomp.

Make sure you are in the right branch before you pull my changes. ;)

Step 1. Right click on the mod folder --> pull
    Step 2. Click on "Manage remotes". (Red arrow)
    Step 3. Fill in: Remote: xxx (give it a nice name, like "Barbarian"), URL: "http://github.com/MeuhV1/Dawn-of-Civilization", set tag to "reachable".
    Step 4. Save the remote and click ok.
    Step 5. Set Remote to the remote you created in step 3 and set Remote Branch to "Barbarian" (It must be this name) and click ok.
    Now you will pull my changes to your mod.

Unlike the 2nd UU/UB modcomp, you can't update this modcomp with the latest DoC updates. You can play regular DoC with the latest updates by switching to your main (develop) branch and do updates as usual.

17. Force44

Force44 Prince

Mongol general:
    "Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?"​
    Conan:
    "Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women."

18. Force44

Force44 Prince

A small section on where to insall what part parts of the mod would be appreciated.

I tried to install it like a mod (got a boatload of errors)
    I tried to copy the individual assets over the regular DoC1.14 (can't find the mod anywhere ingame)

I will continue my quest to get it installed tomorrow.

nevertheless thanks for the mod, I still await its working order with great anticipation, and for now, good night.

19. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Unzip the file in the DoC folder. I'll update the instructions.

20. windman

windman Chieftain

Bow to the Barbarian!

I could not find the UHV in the victory screen. Also, it seems that I could always recruit from the basic units (axeman, chariot, etc.) Is it the case for the entire gameplay?