Player AI in MP should never declare peace the same turn of a disconnect

drubell

Prince
If anyone has known me to complain about this game on this forum, you know that my major issue with continuing to play Civ 6 has been mostly about the game's UX.

But a recent MP game has caused me to completely stop playing Civ 6 at all over a different issue. It's been over a month since that game and I still have had no intention of seriously playing Civ 6 again until it's been resolved.

In this MP game, I was playing as France and my AI opponent was Aztec (in these games, the setup is that each player finds and kills its AI with a cooperative effort).

I was not the host, and sometimes I will go out of sync of the game and that means that the civ I was controlling will get a turn in which it annoyingly will move my units away from where I want them to be or the AI will change my policy cards and I have to change them back later. These are annoying issues, but never game-ruining. I just reconnect to the game, see what changed, and act accordingly.

But in this particular case, I was in the middle of my war with the Aztec, and it was crucial for me to cripple the Aztec as soon as I could as quickly as I could or else the game was going to drag on a lot for me. I begin my war after setting up my units. then I disconnect, and then what happens?

France's AI declares peace with the Aztecs in the turn I disconnected, and so I couldn't attack the Aztecs for 10 turns. 10 turns on Online speed is a very long time. This was a situation where I refused this outcome and discontinued playing that game with my friends.

I don't like the game drastically changing my AI's choices in that one turn that it has control over my units and government, but nothing has soured me about this game more that when the game declared peace in a war without my permission. I really hope that there can be a change made in the future so that there is a grace period of one turn before an AI peaces out of a war when its player disconnects from the game.

I have had no inclination to play Civ 6 ever since that incident, and that was a month ago.

While we have not (yet) experienced such a problematic AI-takeover decision, my friend and I have had multiple instances where he briefly disconnects and the AI moves his army into stupid spots in the middle of wars, which usually results in a bunch of his units dying because the AI can't war effectively.

I really wish they'd add a sort of 'grace period' where, if a player disconnects, the game waits a full turn before the AI takes control. Simple as that, and it'd solve a bunch of these annoying problems.

Play with non-POS opponents who want to actually compete and will RELOAD if there are connectivity issues.

Top Bottom