1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Players who consitently win, do you lead in score through out?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by jedimogg, Feb 17, 2006.

1. jedimogg

jedimogg Chieftain

players who win a lot, is your score the best or close then entire game or does it lag a little while you build infrastructure and then jump up?

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Your score pretty much only depends on how much territory you control, don't pay too much attention to it. You can have the highest score by early over-expansion and easily lose, or the lowest score and win.

My power graphs (indicate military strength) on the other hand, are #2. Very low, if not the lowest through the first half of the game, then skyrocket as I campaign from Cossacks on.

3. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

I don't consistently win, but I never lead in score until at least halfway or better through the game.

4. mnf

mnf King

I think it depends on the difficulty level, though. Players consistenly winning on Monarch will simply leave the AIs in the dust if they go to play on Noble or below.

But I actually think score has some significat correlation with winning. After all, the more territory you control, the more resources you should control, which means less resources to the AIs. The more population you have, the more tiles you could work and hence the more productive you are, in terms of all of Commerce, Production and Science.

The score isn't an absolute indicator of victory, but if you're consistently rank in the last few places throughout the game, that is cause for concern unless you're trying out something really whacky, I'd say. (Like cultural victory, I think culture simply doesn't count into the score other than for the expanded territory.)

5. Armorydave

Armorydave Prince

I am generally in the top 3 in score but really don't pay too attention. Early in the game I am always behind and pretty much any win besides conquest/domination I am behind (but reasonably close, within 20%) throughout. I only play on Monarch and win a fair share.

6. colony

colony Slow Typer

After my first 2 wars I'm generally up in the top 3 in score, but I really don't pay much attention to it anymore, except to keep an eye on an AI that looks like it could run away with the game. This is on Emperor, but on Monarch I find it easier to keep up in score because of the higher happiness cap

7. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

Domination: Yes
    Space Race: Often (I do a militaristic approach)
    Diplomatic: Yes (" " " " ")
    Conquest: Probably
    Cultural: Never

8. crocodiledundee

crocodiledundee Chieftain

Yes or close to it, but i find that in space race or diplomatic (the ones i find easiest to pull off) its only really relevant in regards to your GNP

9. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

Well on Noble you would pretty much have to be, but on every other level you will need time to overcome the computer's natural production bonuses. In my latest Emporer game I was leading in Tech and wonders the entire game, but despite my best efforts, only got an early expansion of 7 cities. Also, one of those cities was repeatedly attacked by the Romans and was forced to sacrifice a total of 12 population. Due to this, I was in the bottom half on score for most of the game, until I got my riflemen and was able to expand my territory.

10. DangerousMonkey

DangerousMonkey Warlord

Actually, a strong player often lags behind his opponents in score in the early game. There are a lot of things that boost your score in the early game that don't always (though they sometimes do) make your civ stronger. Founding religions and building wonders are good examples. Also, it just so happens that the worst way to play the early game is also the best way to maximize your score early on: that is letting your capitol grow to a large size without building any workers or settlers.

Also, a good player that intends to win militarily will be maximizing his production and commerce early on. This means fewer cities, no religion, and more workers, resulting in a lower score. However, this strategy allows you to build a powerful army for conquest.

11. Matthevv

Matthevv Chieftain

I'm always in last place early on. I prefer to build few cities early on, so the AI with its fast expansion always gets a bigger score. Where it goes from there depends on situation. If I'm on an island, or in another situation with room to expand, I will steadily overhaul the other Civs one by one as I gradually expand and grow. If I'm squashed in by other Civs on a continent, then my early attacks on a neighbour will usually leave me much higher up the scores earlier on. Score seems to be dominated by land owned, so it it pretty meaningless, as the quality of the land owned is much more important than the quantity for determining the ultimate winner (me!). For me, the only thing I find important is the tech race.

For those that think growing your capital without building any workers is the worst way to start, this thread should prove interesting!
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=158675

12. crunch

crunch Emperor

On noble it's fairly common to be ahead of AI most of the time even without wars. On higher levels I guess AI would be ahead initially unless you have a fantastic start.

13. VirtualM

VirtualM Chieftain

In my last Prince game, I caught up with the opponent and was the first one to hit 300 points. From that moment on, the difference became larger, doubling the best AI around approx. 2500 points.

Strangely enough, on Monarch I also double the AI around 2500 points although it takes a lot longer to catch up. ??due to Cottage spam, maybe??