1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Playground Mod 2.0 Preview

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by The Omega, Jul 5, 2010.

1. The Omega

The Omega Completely Insane

[Billy Mays]At last, the mod that ALL of you have been waiting for (okay, some of you. Maybe a couple. At least one of you has been waiting for this.)! The Playground Mod, version 2.0, is nearing completion!

But what of the AMAZING new features in version 2.0? To start with, 4 brand new civilizations! Yes, 4! Play as the endless Barbarian hordes, or the psychotically aggressive Death Strike Rebels! We've even included two civilizations not from the Playground, but from other members' schools: Hooray's Chase, and Hikaro's Lego Republic!

We even have a shiny new civilopedia:

Look at how pretty that thing is! Not only does the civilopedia have a new look, but many entries have been improved. Civilization entries have been completely rewritten, now having much more in depth histories.

And of course, new resources, buildings, and units:

In addition, units have been rebalanced, creating much more balanced and streamlined gameplay than before.

To better showcase some of these AMAZING new features, here's some screenshots from the most recent observation game:

An early game Senso zerg rush against Horse.

The Lego Republic

Chase

The Death Strike/Lego border during 4th grade.

Yes, that is Boba Fett in the image. The Playground Mod is the only mod where you can see Boba Fett punch a catgirl in the face, see a pirate fight against a giant robot, or watch a samurai kill a zombie! (Okay, EFZI2 beat us to that last one)

I would have shown you more kewl pictures from Chase.... But then this happened. You'll have to take my word for it, they are pretty nifty.

Death Strike unleashes hordes of bounty hunters on the Lego people.

And I know this image may be shocking to some, but yes, this is a picture of the AI building an army. Yes, that's right ladies and gentlemen, in Playground Mod 2.0, the AI somehow has figured out how to effectively use armies!

All this and more can be yours (just as soon as we finish testing), for just three easy payments of $0.00! Yes, that's right, $0.00! You won't find a better price anywhere else on the Internet! So just spend the rest of your days until this comes out in eager anticipation![/Billy Mays]

Also, if you're interested, Bluemofia is making a story based on version 2.0, found here. I'd recommend checking it out.

2. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Deadline: Before Civ V comes out! (there's a count down thing up at the top, so we won't forget ;) )

3. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Awesome! I'm looking foreword to this! :D

4. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

I'll be following this one with renewed interest :)

5. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Looks interesting! First time I've seen any local towns in any Civ game, besides ones I've played where I named each city myself. ;)

6. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

It does look great, I especially love the look of the civilopedia! Look forward to it.

7. DJ Bonebraker

Actually, the Final Fantasy mod has Pirates (two different ones!) and Giant Robots (several!) as well as Samurai and Zombies (well Skeletons, but they're just zombies that ALL the flesh has rotted off of) as well. :p

8. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Same here. The LEGO Pirate and the Barbarian Pirate. GDR and S-2 for the Giant Death Robots. And then there's a Gundum and later on a WH40K Dreadnought. The Freak Attack lines are various forms of samurai. :p Senso mutates from skeletons all the way up to living breathing people in terms of flesh count. (Skeleton, undead people, zombie, mummy, mages)

9. The Omega

The Omega Completely Insane

But it doesn't have Boba Fett punching a cat girl in the face!:D

10. DJ Bonebraker

You got me there. ;) ....But it DOES have the cat girls. :D

I really like the Civilopedia background, though. (F) See me after class!

(I'm really wondering what the Home Made Nuke is, though! :eek: Hope it isn't nearly as bad as the Anti-Matter MIRV's used in the cataclysmic Final War that almost wiped out the LEGO world. ;))

11. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Some screenshots from my observation game: (please excuse the watermark; this is a nice program that lets me take screenshots of people fighting, not just before or after battles)

Boy Union using a Mercenary Army to slaughter Jessica

GWC Jedi killing a Boy Union Boy Warrior.

The death of Mateo.

Boy Union using a Hidden Nationality Army to attack FA.

Archer army vs Elite Archer army. (Elite Archers won)

S trying to hold off the Boy Union hordes.

But he dies in the end.

2 armies trying to take a Reb City.

Battleships fighting Kracken.

S killing a teacher.

Teacher's Revenge

Teacher's using Amphibious attacks

Boy Union trying to retake Octagania (they fail)

The Principal's last stand, trying to hold off the Reb Hordes.

12. DJ Bonebraker

Can't wait to give it a try! :drool:

BTW, i noticed a small error (might have even been my fault) for one of my faction's town names in one of the screenshot: The town "Marks" should be spelled "Markes".... When an area was settled in the early 1700's by Scots-Irish, Germans and the occasional Englishman, you get some weird town names....

Also, I could give you some more town names to enhance the town listing if you'd like....

13. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Lol, more town names. ;)

Considering how technically all the Senso cities were invented by us (Senso supposedly never set up "cities" in the Playground), and most of the other civs don't have very many unique city names to choose from (GWC outpost #1-25 for example)the LEGO are not lacking at all in city names.

I should go invent some more for the other civs right now! :p But sure, if you'd like.

14. DJ Bonebraker

OK (not sure if any of these were already given, but....):

Hagerstown
    Fannettsburg
    Shippensburg
    Quincy
    Edenville
    Fayetteville
    Scotland
    Welsh Run
    Kasiesville
    Upper Strasburg
    Kauffman Station
    Marion
    Maugansville
    Halfway
    Leitersburg
    Smithsburg
    Cearfoss
    Funkstown
    Williamsport
    .....And Harrisburg (The current front lines of the battle between the Republic and the Barbarians of Niyuu Yohkk and Niyuu Joy Zee)

15. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

27 days left until Civ V, and the final release of the Playground Mod! Here's some more screenshots of testing:

Freak Attack Fortifications.
    Spoiler :

7th Grader army attacks S.
    Spoiler :

Though putting a valiant fight, S falls to the army.
    Spoiler :

Link destroying a Space Cruiser.
    Spoiler :

Boy Union forces violating Death Strike lands to swarm the United Forces.
    Spoiler :

Giant Octopus battles.
    Spoiler :

16. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

1 week to go! :D

The mod is virtually done at this point, I just need to run by a few more games and double check the civilopedia to make sure we don't have any broken links laying around.

Here's some previews.

Combined Forces vote:
    Spoiler :

Girl army and 2 pistoliers...
    Spoiler :

The 2 Pistoliers Survived a volcano eruption?!?!?!
    Spoiler :

"Ah! Bullets! My only weakness! How did you know?"
    Spoiler :

Principal shot up 5 death stars himself before going down by their super-lasers.

For the Horde!
    Spoiler :

Teachers defend the Office, fighting off stacks of doom.
    Spoiler :

In the end, the city fell because they couldn't pay the teachers enough to kill children, and then they all quit, leaving the principal alone to die.