Playing Arthas125's Savegame

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Joij21, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

This thread is a document of my playthrough so far on arthas125's savegame. He posted the save because of trouble he had with taking certain cities and complaints of defense building being too OP. So this is a simple test to see if such things are true. First thing to note is he is ahead of every other civ right now, and at war with the Tupi, Japanese, Germans, Indians, Mayans, Maori, Aboriginals, Assyrians, and French. Second, the only possible victory is conquest, which probably explains why he is in a massive world war at the save's beginning.
    Finally the large amount of enemies has essentially given him four fronts to fight on, spreading his forces thin. Most are medieval, some ancient/classical, a few prehistoric, and one late medieval/early renaissance (Japan).

So with that, I will be posting screenshots of what has happened so far.

2. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

To begin the save, the first thing that I looked into after assessing the situation was the city that arthas was having difficulty with. After analyzing the city and the offensive units stationed adjacent to it, I decided to withdraw from the area to heal and wait for more troops to arrive. Clearly he had already messed up in the attack and staying there any further was not attenable.
    20200621150709_1.jpg
    Meanwhile on the French front I bombarded Dijon and waited a bit for reinforcements to arrive. I eventually took the city.
    20200621151610_1.jpg

3. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Next thing I realized was that arthus had already researched all of the tech necessary to replace his musketmen with riflemen, and his carabiners/cuirassiers with cavalry. He also has a lot of old and useless medieval units hanging around. First thing I did was to upgrade all units that were able to, with the exception of those still in foreign lands which I of course upgraded some turns later. I also realized a lot of his units he was keeping on reserve I'm not sure why? We're at war brotha! No time to keep them on useless defense duty! Mobilize everything! Especially with the amount of civs you chose to pick a bone with!
    20200621161625_1.jpg

I managed to push a stack south to capture Taxila from India. I later used it as and HQ for forces pushing deeper into Indian territory.
    20200621162953_1.jpg

4. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

I figured out cavalry is really OP. Depending on a cities defenses sometimes you can use them to take an entire city without having to bombard the defenses. This is me using cavalry to take Chartres.
    20200621174822_1.jpg
    20200621174828_1.jpg

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That's why cities aren't supposed to even let units attack them if the defenses aren't reduced to a particular point - but I don't think he's using the Realistic Siege option so wouldn't be hindered by that.

6. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

I found some war elephants lying around and grouped them into a stack which I pushed south and captured Mayapan. Not that the Mayans are tough, they are actually really weak and only just made it into the ancient era.
    20200621175513_1.jpg

7. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

The assault on Dijon has begun. What I didn't realize is warlords can attack multiple times per turn. I then began to wonder why arthus didn't bring them over to that problem city he had earlier? He has them after all.
    20200621182142_1.jpg

And then he has THESE!!! DA VINCI TANKS!!! Clearly he has clockpunk culture. And wow, just wow, these deal a lot of damage.
    20200621182341_1.jpg

8. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Dijon captured.
    20200621182451_1.jpg
    Chartres captured.
    20200621184025_1.jpg

9. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Cavalry again proving its usefulness. Using it to clear the Indian countryside of resistance.
    20200621184447_1.jpg

10. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

So @arthas125 is new to this mod it seems, or he really hates losing some units.
    And yeah this bug seems to be here.

11. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Which bug? I meant the damage the Da Vinci tank gives, not what it has received. At half health it was still able to obliterate all units in its path. Then again the French are only medieval so...

12. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Found a large group of barbs with muskets. Sent a detachment to take care of them.
    20200621185200_1.jpg

13. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I meant one where buildings causing damage units don't obsolete fully, that is buildings still do damage after obsoletion/replacement.

14. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Ah Germany, unironically governed by Hitler. What a surprise!

Arthus also seems to have three units that are captains with viceroys attached to them. They look like one man armies and can even bombard cities. But best of all they can each attack three times a turn with a strength so high they can directly assault full defense cities without bombarding them. I decided to not waist them on bombardment and directly assault with them instead only to find that they even cause collateral damage for up to three units per attack!!!
    20200621190225_1.jpg
    Eventually I was able to capture Dresden with Highwaymen without bombardment. I then realized Highwaymen are criminals that automatically make captured cities part of the barbarian state.
    20200621191155_1.jpg
    I finally captured it legitimately.
    20200621191329_1.jpg

15. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

I haven't found evidence of that so far, at least not until I get to Fukishima since that was the city he was having problems with. The Da Vinci tank was already damaged before I started the game anyway so he was probably using it earlier to siege that city before. Now I don't know how long it was next to Dijon so I don't have any definitive damage data to prove that theory yet.

16. arthas125

arthas125 Chieftain

im glad you are having fun playing the save :thumbsup: i wanna clarify some points you have brought up and make clear others

right as i started the save i gave myself several citys until i had 20 and tons of gold so i could stand the severe negative income that comes with having that many citys at the start of the game, so by all means, this save is in no way, shape or form a good indication of how easy or hard the mod is balance wise when it comes to difficulty or the bonus the AI gets, i intentionally made myself OP so i could have more fun and tests everything new the mod had to offer since i last played it wich was a long time ago

the reason why i had many Crusaders just sitting in my city doing nothing is because they start with the lead by warlord promo for free and can be upgraded without losing it, wich in turn makes them potentially incredible strongh troops by late game, and since you can upgrade them they never truly go obsolete, they are also the strongest meele units for their time and come with an extra movement points wich allows for inmense versatility and makes it a lot easier to get XP

never had any reason to upgrade the musketeers since the AI is obviously too far behind to do anything, but as i stated before, that was on purpose, never intended it to be a fair game for them but more of a testing match to see how far i could go and push things

i could mass cavalry from my capital at any moment promoted specifically for city attacks and multiple attacks per turn but never bothered to do it because i like to take things slow and by that time i didn't realise there were like 300+ militia sitting at the japanese capital for some reason

i only bought up the save when i ran into the defensive buildings problem i stated in the thread i made, it wasn't because i had issues taking cities or that i couldn't win but that taking them became a chore and no fun allowed min/maxing to take them in one turn, and i simply despise playing this way, i've played this mod before and these buildings weren't an issue back then (v30 or something like that was the last time i played) but now they were in my games so i had to bring the issue up

also if you are wondering why cities to the east of my capital have german names its because hitler apparently had a doppelganger right next to him :lol:, i didn't wanna deal with TWO of them so i wiped one of them and leaved only 1 alive

that option makes little to no difference in reality, that's why i disabled it, when you can mass the amount of artillery i was fielding by then (60+) and they are properly promoted you can park your units two tiles away from the city, force march them for an extra movement point, and if nothing gets in the way you can move and bombard the cities defenses to 0 in a single turn and thust being able to attack unhindered with the rest of your troops, my siege units get the free morale promotion thanks to setir pit and that makes it so i don't even need to force march them to do the above tactic, taking a city in one turn is not hard, but its very tedious

if i renember correctly i started playing this mod since the updates for RoM stopped, from then on i've been playing on and off but never finished a game yet, last proper version i played was v30 or 35 can't renember, then i switched to the SVN version instead

i think i spend quite a few turns in that save you are playing before i finally captured Kyoto and Then moved to Fukishima, wich is when the city defenses started instantly killing my units, so from where you are right now to when i encountered the defenses on steroids, quite a bit of turns might have passed, the second save i posted in my thread is right at the exact moment when this bug happends, not this one you are playing, i was still taking a ton of damage from those defenses ( a lot more than you currently are taking) but could at least move my units away if need to

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  17. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

I've noticed a lot of your riflemen have the morale promotion. So they have double movement which allows me to strike a lot of cities without being next to them. Only units that take damage so far are the siege ones. As a matter of fact many cities I have already taken in single turns. The major problem I'm suffering right now is the AI sometimes has hundreds of units in certain cities, and trust me it got really interesting with Hitler later on in that regard.;)

18. Trantor

Trantor Warlord

sieze helps to soften those 100 unit stacks and they are easy to take. late game a stack of 100 sieze can clear a city of defenders with ranged strike