1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Civ 5 over Hamachi

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Dmentorr, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Dmentorr

Dmentorr Chieftain

Hi there!

My friend and I have been trying to play Civ 5 over hamachi. We have a strong internet connection and all, but somehow when we are connected and we go onto the Local Network screen, if he hosts or I host the game it doesn't appear on our respective sides. I can't understand why this is happening. We would be chatting and pinging over hamachi and all seems fine. But then, when we go into "local network" and one of us hosts the game, nothing.

I have the game on Steam, whilst he got it at home. I can't understand what the problem is.

He also downloaded it via steam using my account, then we go "offline" on steam and we try to play the game without steam using internet, but it doesn't seem to work via Hamachi. We both ping, and the lag isn't too bad.

Any ideas what can be done? Nothing found on the internet...

2. unic@civ

unic@civ Chieftain

i would prefer to use openvpn, because u dont need another server in internet to connect with. But both have the same problem.

u have to change the metric of you vpninterface.The Metric must be lower than the metric from your normal ethernetdevice. I use 10. u can do it in the menu of your laninterface where u can setup your TCP/ip v4 ip. there is a button "advanced" ("erweitert" in my version).

3. Dmentorr

Dmentorr Chieftain

:( I didn't really understand... can you explain that again? And did it work for you when you tries it this way?

4. unic@civ

unic@civ Chieftain

5. Double Stack

Double Stack Chieftain

Basically, if you use OpenVPN, you will get a network connection with that name. In order to get Civ5 to use that instead another connection, you need to change the metric value of said connection. This way, Windows will use that first over other connections.

Therefore, you and your friend can play LAN over VPN without Steam.

6. kiwi_lifter

kiwi_lifter Chieftain

Can anyone give slightly more explicit instructions here? Do I change the values on my hamachi connection or my internet connection?

7. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Chieftain

8. kiwi_lifter

kiwi_lifter Chieftain

Many thanks!

9. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Chieftain

Yes Hamachi and most other VPN's do not work, Evolve does.

CS